Popular Fanon

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.
MmeBahorel

Re: Popular Fanon

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 am

You have no idea for how long Jacques Sauvageot was my headcanon Combeferre and Danny le Rouge (Daniel Cohn-Bendit) was headcanon Courfeyrac. (ok, it was like six months, in high school, based on a couple of good pictures and nothing to do with actual personalities, but still. I was kinda right on Danny.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 am

I thought I was the only person who ever imagined Daniel Cohn-Bendit as being like Courfeyrac. :D :D I got that portrait idea when reading the book "1968" by Mark Kurlansky.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:Speaking of full names, I've found that Enjolras' first name is nearly always "Alexandre" or "Gabriel." Fitting (a great leader and a powerful angel), but I wonder how this trend came about.

I've written a fanfic short story --- an E and E ship that takes place in the present day-- and Enjolras' first name is Gabriel. I thought about giving him the same Henri or Stefan but I've always liked the name Gabriel/Gabe and it does seem fitting for someone like Enjolras. I just can't picture his first name being Edward or Thomas.

I've always pictured his name being Gabriel in the book and musical as well.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Éponine and Gavroche being associates of Les Amis before the Rebellion. This one doesn't really upset me, I just don't see much canonical precedent for it. In the book, though I may be misremembering a bit, both simply "fraternized with the hurricane" and joined the march from Lamarque's funeral to the barricades along with Mabeuf and the undercover Javert. In the musical Gavroche at least seems to know them (and appears close to Courfeyrac in the movie), but Éponine still joins up at the last minute. We do see her at a rally in the movie though (probably just to ogle Marius).

Like I said, doesn't really piss me off, and it's not like Les Amis wouldn't associate with them - they are the "friends of the poor" after all - but it just seems a bit off in a fic to me.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:40 pm

I think those are strictly musical based, and it's because Enjolras is at least sorta there - her mother thinks it's the plural "students" that are her problem, anyway, so I can see where an idea came from if one ignores that Marius has to tell everyone her name when she dies on the barricade. (Enjolras doesn't necessarily not know who she is, but she seems to be unknown enough among the entire cast on the barricade to make Marius's line necessary.)

Gavroche is known to them in the book - remember, when Navet brings the message to Bossuet, he says he's friends with Gav. And since Gav is known to the guys, the exchange with Enjolras about wanting a musket is much more friendly than if Gav were winding up a stranger. He's possibly better known to the guys than Feuilly, if we take actual statements in dialogue into more account than who gets a paragraph in "A Group That Nearly Became Historic".
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:40 am

I've only really noticed it since the movie came out. I'm thinking maybe it's people who've seen the film and seen Éponine and Gavroche at the barricades and consumed enough fandom to know of Les Amis but not read the Brick to know that the members are spelled out there. Particularly as it seems to go hand in hand with forgetting several Amis (Bahorel and Feuilly seem to be the two that so often get missed).

On the subject of fanon and Amis, it's strange and vaguely amusing to me, that so much fanart takes its inspiration from the movie, but never with Bossuet. You'll get Killian!Ferre and Fra!Feyrac and Skinner!Joly, and even Brammer!Jehan, but I don't think I've ever seen Stuart Neal inspired fanart once!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 am

Acaila wrote:
On the subject of fanon and Amis, it's strange and vaguely amusing to me, that so much fanart takes its inspiration from the movie, but never with Bossuet. You'll get Killian!Ferre and Fra!Feyrac and Skinner!Joly, and even Brammer!Jehan, but I don't think I've ever seen Stuart Neal inspired fanart once!

He isn't bald enough. :wink: Other than the hair, though, he does look a lot like how I imagine Bossuet; it's the round face. If he has to have the hair, he could be a decent-looking Joly.
Fanon seems fond of making him a POC, though, based off of the 25th. It's not a bad thing at all, it's just a really common trend.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 am

My philosophy is if you want to count Ep and Gav as "extended Amis," you gotta count Mabeuf, too! :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Heh, nice. But Mabeuf's not cute or shippable to most people, so he's probably not going to be appear any time soon.

The thing with getting Bossuet from the 25thAC though is that no other dominant fanon portrayal comes from there. So it seems more like a retcon excuse for making him the token black guy to me. And people don't seem to mind drawing Marius and Cosette like the movie, regardless of it contradicting their appearances in the Brick.

I just feel like Stuart Neal got the short end of the straw :( He's reasonably cute after all.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:24 pm

Acaila wrote:Heh, nice. But Mabeuf's not cute or shippable to most people, so he's probably not going to be appear any time soon.

Well, yeah, but he's awesome, and I think he deserves to be part of the Amis family as much as Ep and Gav do.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Acaila wrote:
Marianne wrote:Just a note--I'm reading a fascinating book on Charles Jeanne right now, and the author puts forth a theory that (a) the failure of the June rebellion was partially due to the opposition leaders and mainstream republicans in positions of power (the ones who had legislative seats or edited influential newspapers) completely disowning the revolt instead of putting their support behind it, and (b) the reason they did so wasn't just to save their own hides; they had been planning their own insurrection for the anniversary of the July Revolution, figuring it had the best chance of success, and were pissed off that the leaders of various secret societies jumped the gun and the public jumped with them. So powerful republicans sitting it out when they did a cold calculation of their chances and deemed it not worth the risk might actually have been what doomed the 1832 revolt. (In general, it seems that the failure of 1832 stemmed from the republicans being not bold enough rather than too bold; I've also heard it said that if they'd stormed the Hôtel de Ville right away and declared a republic, they would probably have won.)

Is this the "A cinq heures..." book?! You must post your thoughts on it for us! (this isn't helping with my resolve not to buy it either!)
The potential for AUs about the rebellion there...awesome!

Yes, I'm stalking old forum posts. I'm guilty.. put me in Saint-Michel!

Anyway, I'm actually doing a massive research project on Charles Jeanne so I can (hopefully) get accepted to this really competative grad program as somebody who has been rejected from over 1000 jobs i'm nervous

That book is amazing and very helpful. You must read it :) Its also full of some epic lines.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

I've read some of the translated bits that have made their way online, I'm just so out of practice with my French, and I doubt I'll get the chance to do more before the show.
I was actually talking about the book in regards to the show lately. It was suggested we do a little thing a la the Titanic museum and have names and stories of people from the barricades that audience members are assigned, and of course that book came to mind. I did say there probably wouldn't be enough details, and got told "we could just make them up though". So much shocked and appalled at that bit of sacrilege!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:51 pm

They did that in the Boston Tea Party Museum, I got assigned my great (great... who knows how many) grandfather. That was pretty cool. Great idea, really engages the audience.

Now I'm thinking there should be a Barricades Museum someday "ha! perfect job!" (i'd probably need EU work permits somehow)

Awww :( I think the whole letter has translated somewhere? Marianne perhaps? I read it in both English and French.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Return to “Brick Meta”