Soft spots for short-running or unliked musicals?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
MamzelleCombeferre

Re: Soft spots for short-running or unliked musicals?

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

It is the musical adaptation of Stephen Kings 1970s novel Carrie. I can't really explain the plot, so here's a wikipedia article, but the show itself is quite good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie_(novel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25W-H2sUWG8
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 am

Lol, we need to get a thread going for what to do with Chess at this rate. Did anyone see the UK tour Craig Revel Horwood directed? That was pretty good, if not perfect.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 am

No, the only way I know Chess is via the concerts, soundtrack, YouTube clips, music videos, and accidentally stumbling on the Broadway version of the script once online. :( Basically how I "know" most musicals, including Les Miz.

Ooh! I haven't read Carrie yet, but it's on my extremely long to-read list. :wink:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:11 am

Somebody (you know who you are!) recently got me hooked on the musical "Parade". I have no hopes to see it on stage any time soon (never translated to German and as I must have complained about over and over again, we translate everything), but there are currently three songs on the OBC album I'm lsitening to in a loop. Why do they all have to be the ones that center on false accusations? Why couldn't any of Leo Frank's solos be that catchy?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Helge Schneider, a quite famous German comedian/clown/youcan'tdescribehiminappropriateterms and universal musical talent back in 2003 wrote and composed a musical based on a series of horse magazines for girls. "Mendy - das Wusical". Sounds crazy, is hilariously funny-if you get a bit of the humour of course. I've seen it live and laughed MAO. Honestly. It was captured for DVD and the whole thing is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnuQafk7TN0
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:42 pm

I have really liked the clips I have seen about Dance of the vampires, THE Broadway flop of all time. I love the fairytale version of vampire-filled 19th century Transylvania and I like the English songs. It is possible there is bad comedy in it, but the clips I saw... definitely liked it.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 am

The main problem with Dance of the Vampires was that Michael Crawford was an asshole and no one did anything about it. He wanted to be the only one with any humourous lines, which means that a lot of jokes were cut.

Tanz walks a fine line - it's cheesy as hell (how can it not be, with Total Eclipse of the Heart?) but it must be taken seriously enough at the same time. Dance of the Vampires tried to eliminate the serious bits to make a full-on comedy, but then production acceded to Crawford's demands because they were counting on him to sell the show. It deserved to flop because it was a mess. (also, some of the English lyrics suck. I don't speak German, but does Die Unstillbare Gier include "I use my body just like a bandage; I use her body just like a wound"? It's too bad, because I love the music.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:10 am

It's funny that you have Dance of the Vampires down as unliked or short-running, because in Germany and Austria it was quite a success. But I have heard many bad things about the English version...

@MmeBahorel: I was shocked to find that I had to listen to the song to answer your question... I used to know that whole show by heart! Anyway, I don't find any line that is similar to "I use etc." Here are the full German lyrics to the song, if it helps: http://www.vampyrbibliothek.de/vergange ... barton.htm
If you want a translation, just say the word.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:18 am

That's why it's important to differentiate between Tanz der Vampire, which was a major success (great Polish cast, too - Taniec wampirow), and Dance of the Vampires. Unlike having to number the versions of Wildhorn's Scarlet Pimpernel, at least here you have the utter clarity of knowing just which version you mean based on language. Dance of the Vampires was no Tanz der Vampire. (I've never seen either or listened to a full bootleg of either, to be honest - I just know the major songs, how much of a ridiculous diva Crawford was, and the fandom verdict. And Max von Essen, I like you as a person, but you're no Aris Sas.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:37 am

Yea, my Dance love is bit off-topic, because Tanz is an enormous hit, but then the Dance was an enormous flop and, if many fans are concerned, NOT real Tanz...

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:30 am

I've only seen/heard the bits of Bare relevant to my unyeilding love for Aaron Lohr (I started young with that one, thanks Mighty Ducks), but I'd really love to see it all the way through. I haven't had the chance to see Addams Family yet either, but I have the soundtrack and I love it!

It's not really short-running, but none of my personal musical theater friends have ever seen - and some of them have never even heard of - Notre-Dame de Paris. I've had such a crush on Garou when I was younger, and I remember my mother playing his first album a lot, so that was how I found out that he had even done a musical in the first place and it all went from there. I'm sort of a nerd for Quebecois artists anyhow, and 2/3 of he original French cast of NDdP are Francophone Quebecois. A lot of the original French cast are in the original London production as well, except the utterly perfect Hélène Ségara, sadly.

I know Spring Awakening is one of those that sort of toes the line, but I'm absolutely crazy about it too. I'm a fan of the Groff/Michele/JGJ run, but any version I can get where Krysta Rodriguez is more front and center is good for me too. I know a lot of people who don't like it though, either because they don't "get" it, or they only associate Jon Groff and Lea Michele with Glee and won't have anything to do with them otherwise.

Into the Woods and Jekyll and Hyde (though I think that one's gaining popularity) are up there too. These days a lot of kids - *shakes cane* - don't know Cabaret either and I want to whap them with the complete works of Christopher Isherwood.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 am

moderntrickster wrote:I've only seen/heard the bits of Bare relevant to my unyeilding love for Aaron Lohr (I started young with that one, thanks Mighty Ducks), but I'd really love to see it all the way through. I haven't had the chance to see Addams Family yet either, but I have the soundtrack and I love it!

It's not really short-running, but none of my personal musical theater friends have ever seen - and some of them have never even heard of - Notre-Dame de Paris. I've had such a crush on Garou when I was younger, and I remember my mother playing his first album a lot, so that was how I found out that he had even done a musical in the first place and it all went from there. I'm sort of a nerd for Quebecois artists anyhow, and 2/3 of he original French cast of NDdP are Francophone Quebecois. A lot of the original French cast are in the original London production as well, except the utterly perfect Hélène Ségara, sadly.

I forgot Notre Dame de Paris! I even enjoyed the (relatively) short-living London version.
Wildhorn´s Dracula (although it sold pretty well in German language, I have read).

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:44 am

Not sure how "unliked" it is since it won Tonys, but Sunset Boulevard. Even though I'm pretty sure it stole from Les Mis.

Also, if it counts, Repo! the Genetic Opera.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:55 am

Oh, Gods, yes, Repo! I never really counted this as a musical because I only know the movie (neither movie nor stage show exist in this country...), but I'm definitely in love with that movie...

Turning_Turning

Postby Turning_Turning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:53 am

For me, it's Aida, cheesy and anachronistic as it is. Mind you, I like only a few of the songs, and only if I'm in the right "mood" for the song. Otherwise, it makes the Egyptologist in me cringe and weep. :cry: The only songs I'm willing to listen to are "Gods Love Nubia" (nationalistic and bombastic, kinda like the show's own "Do You Hear the People Sing?"; "Easy as Life" (Heather Headley owns that song) and "Elaborate Lives", and even that's once in a full moon.
"Shadowland...the leaves have fallen.
This shadowed land, this was our home.
The river's dry, the ground has broken..."
[i]Shadowland[/i], [u]The Lion King[/u]

Return to “Other Musicals”