Painful Les Misérables Pronunciations

Any discussion related to Victor's Hugo's Les Misérables, in any language.
MmeBahorel

Re: Painful Les Misérables Pronunciations

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 pm

The problem with Japanese fandoms is that the voice actors are using that phoneme that is sort of between the English L and R - usually, this comes out in English transcription as R. But that you've been hearing it as more of an L just shows the trouble with trying to put that phoneme into an English sentence.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Patria

Postby Patria » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 pm

I have to admit that any attempt I might make at proper French pronunciation is hilarious/painful/sad, but I always make a strong effort to at least get stresses right. Actually, when I first read the Brick I drove my French-speaking friends nuts by asking them how to pronounce all sorts of things (I was especially stumped on 'Montparnasse' and 'Feuilly'.)

Various awkward and all too common mispronunciations of 'Marius' drives me crazy, but I have to admit that the most horrifying 'Miz'pronunciation (HARHARHAR) I've ever heard was my own: Upon first encountering the name 'Enjolras,' I kept saying 'Enholras,' like it was Spanish, which I have studied for many years. Ouch.
"Would you like my hat?"

Awesome icon by Hannah.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:11 pm

I kept saying 'Enholras,' like it was Spanish, which I have studied for many years. Ouch.

Honestly, I could think of worse way to pronounce it than that way!

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 am

I spent a long time trying to get the pronunciations of everything, and quite often had to ask my French teacher, or my mum, who speaks Spanish as much as French, so we did the awkward pronunciation of Enjolras for a while as well.
I don't think I have too much of an issue with the accent, but I really have a voice that isn't suited for anything other then English, or maybe Spanish, but I can't roll my "R"s or anything. I've tried Italian, Greek, German, and Russian, those were painful.
I think the worst mistake for me was either Combeferre's name, or Courfeyracs'. I shudder even to think about it. I really pronounced the "b" so it sounded like "Com-Buh-ferre" for a long while. And I think I said Courfeyrac like "Corf-RE-Ack". I don't have any idea how it came to that, but that's what happened.
The worst mistake for someone else was trying to get them to read the Thenardier's name out loud. It was made me cringe and snigger at the same time. I think it came out like "THe-NARd-ers" or something along those lines.
I'm glad I at least knew a touch of French before I got into this though, or else I would be hopelessly lost. And I'm lost enough as it is.
I Live On Constellation Street

SilverLining1603

Postby SilverLining1603 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Ulkis wrote:And I think I said Courfeyrac like "Corf-RE-Ack". I don't have any idea how it came to that, but that's what happened.

Yeah... I did that for about three months before reading a bit more carefully and noticing the "r" came after the "fey". :oops:

When I first came across Les Mis, I also thought that Thernardier was pronounced Fer-na-deers. And that Feuilly was pronounced Fwilly. Oh, and my friend pronounces Enjolras "Anj-ol-re-lass". I'm trying to stop her. :)

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm

When I first read the brick, I hadn't started learning French yet so Courfeyrac was just the most foreign looking name I'd ever saw (I was only 12 or something, bless my heart :')) I don't think I even tried to pronounce it.
I somehow found an extra 'o' and Enjolras became Enjoloras.
I had a funny way of saying Thenardier as well, but I can't remember what that was. I just ignored accents entirely.
I too am impossible

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure I mixed up the letters in Enjolras and said something similar to "Enroljas." Which is odd, because I have no other instances of dyslexic behavior. Also guilty of "Com-buh-ferre" and of never knowing how much "h" to put in Bahorel.
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:38 am

SilverLining1603 wrote:
Ulkis wrote:And I think I said Courfeyrac like "Corf-RE-Ack". I don't have any idea how it came to that, but that's what happened.

Yeah... I did that for about three months before reading a bit more carefully and noticing the "r" came after the "fey". :oops:

That seems to be a common mistake. I used to read ''CourfReyac'', and it really took me months to realize my mistake. Needless to say, it's not a really common name in french either :?

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:27 am

Oh my gosh, I thought it was Enroljas too, for an embarrassingly long time. I guess I saw a mis-spelling and got all confused?
Also said Jay-HAN and Ba-HOREL, but eh. I was young. (And unafraid?)
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Ravariel

Postby Ravariel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 am

And wrong pronunciations were made, and used, and....wasted? More like thrown away with resounding cries of "Good riddance!"
And I don't know where I would have seen a misspelling, but I might adopt that explanation anyways.
"I learned not to fear infinity,
The far field, the windy cliffs of forever,
The dying of time in the white light of tomorrow."
--Theodore Roethke

enjolraslesunicorn

Postby enjolraslesunicorn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:51 am

*pokes thread*

My dad repeatedly calls Enjolras "Enjorlras". I'm 99.9% sure it's just to annoy me, 'cause that's how he writes it, too. Not even sure where he got it from, because I say "Ah-jol-rah". Not sure if that's how you pronounce it, but it's how I do. Please correct me if I say it wrong!
It's the return of the horrendously drawn unicorn horn

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:43 am

I kept saying 'Enholras,' like it was Spanish, which I have studied for many years. Ouch.

One of the kids at school who is a fan pronounces it that way, and it sometimes takes me a few seconds to figure out what she's saying.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:05 pm

What is the correct pronunciation of Enjolras anyway? I've heard so many variations that I'm slightly confused.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 pm

The Bricklayer wrote:

One of the kids at school who is a fan pronounces it that way, and it sometimes takes me a few seconds to figure out what she's saying.

Same happened in my high school. My English teacher did it.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm

People who pronounce Joly as 'Jolly'.
The law is unjust.

Return to “The Brick”