Javert's Bridge

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
Convict24603

Javert's Bridge

Postby Convict24603 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I am really wanting to know which bridge in Paris over the Seine, Javert jumps from! There's 39 of them so it could be any of them really!

does anyone know, or have a probability as to the ones it could be?

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Auf die Barrikaden

Re: Javert's Bridge

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:34 am

No, sorry. Javert doesn't actually jump from a bridge. He jumps from the side, not far from the police station on Plâce du Châtelet.
I find the exact point a bit difficult to determine. Hugo describes the rapid as being situated between the Pont Notre-Dame and the Pont-au-Change, but on the other hand between the Quai de la Megisserie and the Quai aux Fleurs. If you check the map, you can see that the Quai de la Megisserie is upstream of the Pont-au-Change and the Quai aux Fleurs downstream of the Pont Notre-Dame. Then again, he shortly afterwards describes a "square lake" formed by the land and the two bridges and that is definitely the bit of river between the mainland, the Île de la Cité and the Pont-au-Change and Pont Notre-Dame.
Next problem is that he says that Javert stops at the corner of the Pont Notre-Dame, a bit away from the prefecture of police. If Javert did indeed stop there, he would have been directly across the street from the prefecture, not "at some distance" (at least assuming that it was in the building then as it is today). And finally, if the rapid was indeed between the two bridges, then Javert would have missed it, because it's upstream of the Pont Notre-Dame. I therefore have decided to assume that Hugo meant the corner of the Pont-au-Change, but mixed the bridges up :wink:
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks, Trompe-la-Mort. I found this the other day, and it is very interesting. It gives modern-day locations on Google Maps of several different LM settings, such as the Gorbeau House, Coufeyrac's apartment, and most importantly... Javert's suicide. The most interesting point she makes is that if he didn't jump from the bridge, just on the parapet in between the Pont-au-Change and the Pont-Notre-Dame, he would be directly in the middle of the Palais de Justice and the Notre Dame Cathedrale- caught once again between justice and grace.

http://reformedtypea.blogspot.com/2010/06/paris-and-les-miserables.html
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Would have made for a great stunt if they had Javert's suicide happen at the exact place during the 25th Anniversary tour's Paris run of 2010 at the Theatre du Chatelet...opportunity missed. :D

Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

kaylagrace1

Postby kaylagrace1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:56 pm

Victor Hugo never specified the bridge and only spent about 2 sentences talking about Javert's actual death.

musicalfoodie

Postby musicalfoodie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 am

I know this is a long time ago that this thread started.
But, for any visitors coming by late, like myself, let me add this:
If the OP meant instead, "Where did it occur...." related to the 2012 movie, the final edit of Javert's suicide was shot in Bath, England, at Pulteney Weir. So, the "river waterfall" is actually in the River Avon, not the River Seine.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”