Les Misérables Fan Dictionary

Feel free to pimp your website, community, group, or board here.
Enjolras-the-jaw

Les Misérables Fan Dictionary

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:10 pm

I had the idea the other day that I would make a Les Misérables Fan Dictionary. I would use and define words like Enjorlratic, The Vest, Mizzy, etc. (with humor of course :P ). I just thought that if anyone had any words and/or definitions, just pm/comment them to me here or pm them to me on fanfiction.net. I am EnjolraSiriuSkywalker34. If you guys want me to, I will post this here to in the fanfiction forum.

Hope you like :D ,
Enjolras-the-jaw

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this here, or in the fanfiction forum :oops:
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Re: Les Misérables Fan Dictionary

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Come on guys give me some Ideas please!!!!!
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

LesMisPhangirl

Postby LesMisPhangirl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 am

Uh..
Javviekins: nickname given to Javert by his fangirls.

Edited for spelling.
Not active on here much, lurking only when necessary, for reasons most don't need to know. Contact info's on my profile. I might be active again later. I don't know. Until then lovelies!

livvy16

Postby livvy16 » Sat May 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Ummmm.... I'm new here so I have no idea what any of these words mean besides Mizzy.
A Mizzy is a person whose life revolves around Les Mis. They tend to be obsessive fan girls who enjoy making fan fiction, especially ones with slash pairings.
But now you got me interested, what does Enjorlratic and The Vest mean?

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Sat May 05, 2012 6:42 pm

"Enjolratic" is an adjective describing someone who's like Enjolras-- a charismatic, fearless, almost statuesque leader who can give speeches that will convince men to follow him to hell and back-- or something similar to something he'd say or do. For example, most of Robespierre's speeches could definitely be considered Enjolratic. :lol:

"The Vest" is the bright red vest Enjolras wears in the stage production of Les Mis.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Do you guys think it's a bad idea to put the definition for "Bad Casting" as "Nick Jonas"?

Can anybody define these words:

Slash
barricake
The Jump
The Hug
Quastism
The Brick

Try to make them comical, if possible! :mrgreen:

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 am

Enjolras-the-jaw wrote:Do you guys think it's a bad idea to put the definition for "Bad Casting" as "Nick Jonas"?

Or Justin Beiber...

The Brick: The Unabridged version of Les Misérables, generally you can't get one totally unaabridged unless it's in french, but these ones are close enough. The nickname was given because in one volume, it is generally the size and shape of a brick, and if you throw it at someone, they have the same reaction as if they had gotten hit by one.
I Live On Constellation Street

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 am

The Jump: The moment in the Final Battle when the actor playing Enjolras (most notably David Thaxton) decides to risk multiple injuries to themselves and the people in the orchestra pit by leaping off the top of the barricade to tend to Marius after he is wounded. The Jump can be used to symbolise Enjolras' recklessness in battle and his love for his friends, or it could just be the actor wanting to show off their invincibility. For a visual reference, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0JD7aoqwc&feature=related

Barricake: A (often virtual) cake shaped like the barricade used to express love for a fellow Mizzie or celebrate special occasions or to make someone feel better. It's a multipurpose cake.
The rich are rich, the poor are poor,
But whichever they are, they all want more.

The voice of the people cannot be and will not be and must not be denied

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 pm

@Last Ami - I don't quite get the symbolism of Enjolras' recklessness in battle since he isn't reckless.
But I don't feel like dancin' when the old joanna plays
My heart could take a chance but my two feet can't find a way
You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe gentle sway
But I don't feel like dancin', no sir, no dancin' today.

LastAmi

Postby LastAmi » Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am

@SaintJolras - I wasn't being entirely serious. But since you ask... Enjolras in the Brick isn't reckless. Enjolras in the musical is. Or has more traits relating to recklessness than he does in the Brick. It's down to the direction, lines, and general portrayal given by the actor, but the recklessness is there. Like in the Jump. Since the Jump only relates to the musical, that's what I was basing the interpretation on. But again, I wasn't being entirely serious.
The rich are rich, the poor are poor,
But whichever they are, they all want more.

The voice of the people cannot be and will not be and must not be denied

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 am

Thaxton's jump was only done by Thaxton.

I'm interested in hearing about any other reckless moves you may interpret from the stage production.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Okay, guys, lets cool down a little. I'm not against discussion, but this is starting to get a little... edgy.

As for a reckless thing both Enjolrai do is standing up at the top of the Barricade, exposing himself to gunfire and cannonshell.

And Killian Donnelly did a version of the jump as well.

Can we please get back to the words though!

TCRegan

Postby TCRegan » Tue May 29, 2012 2:30 pm

How is asking a simple question getting edgy?

Killian did a version of the jump? I'd like to see that actually. It doesn't happen in the bootleg I have of him. Do you have a youtube link by chance?

As for a reckless thing both Enjolrai do is standing up at the top of the Barricade, exposing himself to gunfire and cannonshell.

Most Enjolras do that. It's part of the staging. But then again, all the other Amis are there as well. The only exception to this rule is Grantaire, who doesn't get on the barricade until after Enjolras grabs the flag.

In the new production in the US Tour, they actually get on the barricade by climbing over it from the NG side.

Honestly I think Thaxton is the only one I've seen that pretty much flung himself from the barricade to get to Marius and that's more recklessness on the actor's part (though he likely wouldn't have done it if he thought he'd be seriously injured, at least I would think so) and not on the character's part.

Enjolras isn't reckless is either the Brick or the musical
However, this sceptic had one fantacism. This fantacism was neither a dogma, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved and venerated Enjolras.

Grantaire, in whom writhed doubt, loved to watch faith soar in Enjolras.

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Thank you. It's weird seeing as how Enjolras-the-Jaw is the second one to speak up to try and 'police' behavior.

I suppose any sort of dissent is now 'edgy'?

Moving on.

Enjolras going up on the barricade and waving the flag isn't reckless. It's a symbolic part of the movement. They couldn't very well stage OF&PD for the musical. So they had to show the rebellion and how nothing has ended in another way, a very visual way.

At that point, they all knew they were going to die. They decided to go with a bang and make damn sure everyone knew what they were fighting for and why and that their deaths on this barricade wouldn't stop the tide of revolution.

I've seen other people comment on how the students were reckless before, on how Enjolras was stupid for doing what he did.

These were all just youtube commentators who had no idea of the symbolism, the ramifications of what actually happened on that barricade, why they did what they did, and how to properly stage something like this so that it leaves a lasting impression.

So it does rather puzzle me that fans who know how to go into depth of the Brick, who know what it should all represent, would handwave it away as 'recklessness'. This is why I asked the question in the first place, to see if there was something I missed.

E-t-J, I'm pretty sure LastAmi can handle answering the question since I asked it of him.

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Tue May 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Also, it's Enjolraic. Not Enjolratic.

The only other one I've seen/heard is Enjolrasy and that was from one of Jason Forbach's tweets when he was describing a statue that looked particularly Enjolraic.

Return to “Advertisements”