1934 Raymond Bernard Version

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
languageotaku

1934 Raymond Bernard Version

Postby languageotaku » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 am

So, I checked out the 1934 Raymond Bernard version from my library two days ago, and watched it in French with English subtitles.

I think that it's the most accurate adaption of Les Misérables that I've seen.

It's divided into three parts, and runs a little under five hours. It still leaves a fair amount out, but for the most part, what they leave out is mentioned or brought up in a different way (i.e. they leave out Marius going to see his father, and the actual fight with his grandfather, but they leave in his will and his debt to the Thenardiers, and mention the reasons for the fight when he goes to see his grandfather.) The one thing they completely left out that made me really disappointed was Gavroche caring for his brothers, as well as saving his father. They did leave in a few other things that most versions forget or change, such as Mabeuf's death, and Tholoymes. Another thing that they changed that disappointed me was that, in this version, Marius knew all along that Jean Valjean was the one who saved him, instead of him basically banishing him after he learns of his criminal record and finding out through Thenardier that Jean Valjean was the one who saved him.

Overall, though, I highly recommend it.

Vevette
Location: Cardiff, Wales or London England (or somewher on the train between)

Re: 1934 Raymond Bernard Version

Postby Vevette » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Another thing that they changed that disappointed me was that, in this version, Marius knew all along that Jean Valjean was the one who saved him, instead of him basically banishing him after he learns of his criminal record and finding out through Thenardier that Jean Valjean was the one who saved him

Yes, that bit drove me nuts!! Especially as Valjean's comfession to Marius is the saddest bit of the whole book! They do a similar thing with Javert's confession to Madeleine - he denouces Madeleine after the Fauchlevent incident rather than after their arguement, which renders his confession kind of meaningless as he hasn't actually done anything wrong to confess to!

It's a real shame they mess those two bits up as, overall, this film is so faithful to the Brick and by far my favourite fim version!

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:53 am

Another thing that they changed that disappointed me was that, in this version, Marius knew all along that Jean Valjean was the one who saved him

It comes across to me that he doesn't know actually - it's just that they don't make an issue of who saved him from the barricade. When Valjean tells Marius he's an ex-convict you can tell Marius is disturbed - I think if he knew Valjean saved him he wouldn't be bothered by what Valjean said. Valjean dies so soon in this film that Marius has no time to figure out what happened at the barricades. :) Not that that changes your main point in that they don't get into Valjean's confession, just pointing out I don't think he actually knows.

Case

Postby Case » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 am

I just found this online,and am now dying to see it. I'm curious. Do they leave the convent interlude in? Also,tell me that Éponine isn't a love struck princess.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 pm

No, they don't leave the convent part in. After Valjean and Cosette leave from Montfermeil, the movie jumps forward to Cosette's sixteenth birthday.
As for Éponine as a love struck princess... Well, it probably depends a bit on what you consider "love struck", but I'd say she isn't.
But if you found it online, you can soon see for yourself ;)
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:39 am

I am thinking of shelling out for the Criterion DVD version of this. I love the fact the first part of the movie is named after my favourite chapter in the book - Une tempête sous un crâne (Tempest in a Skull). Does anyone else own the DVD?

Ali22

Postby Ali22 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:36 am

So last night I was watching Band of Brothers and in the episode Bastonge, a church had been converted to a hospital. I knew it looked familiar and when I looked it up, I found this link:http://i.imgur.com/s9KhEJu.jpg

Postby 9430 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am

Just popping in to say that this will be released on Blu-ray by the end of the year by Pathe. I assume that Criterion will also pick it up for release, if the Pathe release has no subs. Here's hoping that the restoration is better than recent Pathe releases such as Enfants du Paradis.
aka Fiwen

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Interesting! I wonder if the movie musical is giving a boost to sales of other versions that has brought this on.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 9430 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:34 pm

I have definitely noticed lots of Blu-ray releases of Les Mis adaptations since the musical film came out! I was finally able to get hold of a decent quality version of the 1958 film (with subs!) to replace my poor quality DVD. I doubt that there will be quite as much improvement here, since the 1934 Criterion DVD is decent already, but I hope the restoration will be even better.
aka Fiwen

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I highly recommend the new Masters of Cinema release of this movie. I only bought the DVD version but the quality is superb. I really appreciate the hard work Pathe has put into this new restoration. The second DVD is packed with bonus features included the The Vagabond, a 1905 short from Albert Capellani. You can get this in the UK for £15 or less, a true bargain.

Now I really hope the silent versions are released soon.

saucepan

Postby saucepan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:07 pm

It's laborious to seek out knowledgeable folks on this topic, but you sound like you already know what youre talking about! Thanks

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Just watched the first part. It was good but not brilliant. It misses a lot just as how Cosette came to be in the care of the Thenardiers. I personally think the 1925 silent is much better, in fact I cannot picture anyone but Gabriel Gabrio in the part. It's odd that a movie almost 100 years old is the best adaptation of the novel. Hopefully the BBC version will be good.

Return to “Movies”