Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

An unfortunate query. I remember a friend insisting we do "Lovely Ladies" in a British/cockney accent when we had to perform that song in school. I wanted to say, "We're supposed to be French, aren't we?"
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 pm

*bangs head along* Signify with a French accent that people are French? This is daft. (sorry Aurelia :P )

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm

I get the feeling I just put my foot in my mouth? :lol: :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 pm

*pat pat* Everybody is allowed a dorky line from time to time. :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Frédéric Dumont wrote:*bangs head along* Signify with a French accent that people are French? This is daft. (sorry Aurelia :P )

It is daft, because it's rather redundant. It's understood that the characters are French.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Yeah, since we have to imagine that it's a translation and in the original they'd speak French, not that they speak English for our sakes... :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron

silverwhistle

Re:

Postby silverwhistle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Frédéric Dumont wrote:Yeah, since we have to imagine that it's a translation and in the original they'd speak French, not that they speak English for our sakes... :lol:

Indeed. It's the golden rule of the cinematic Babel-fish. The characters are magically translated for us, so they do not need to speak English with a 'foreign accent'.
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

santsprz

Re: Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Postby santsprz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:35 am

I would make the musical adaptation

I made a "screenplay" for the movie, I know, some of the dialogue is VERY bad, but I am not a professional writer, so, here you go. Feel free to criticize it.

https://docs0.google.com/document/edit?id=1mryEYnYLWguI8VK1s37AlM_7PuaFUO5LpHMm17BDKFU&hl=en#

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

This thread is dead. It has ceased to be. It is an ex-thread.

Or something to that effect, because I don't remember the quote. But that's okay. Because even though no one has posted on this thread in forever, I feel compelled to. Because Wolf_of_Mankind and I always end up "casting" our perfect Les Mis movie, and I need to let you guys know that Gillenormand is played by Christopher Lee. We have very little idea about the rest of the cast, but Gillenormand is played by Christopher Lee.

For Javert I shall resurrect Anthony Perkins because I love me some Anthony Perkins. And he was my favorite Javert. Even before I developed a crush on him. That is to say, I developed a crush on Perkins. Not Javert.

And I insist that Neil Patrick Harris must be cast somewhere. He's awfully American, and I really have no idea where he fits. But I am in love with him so he must be there. Because if he isn't I will cast Johnny Depp as Jean Valjean in retaliation. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a big fan of Johnny Depp. But if he's ever cast as Jean Valjean I will defenestrate myself.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:27 pm

...I have imagined this in my head many times

...it is about twenty hours long and includes screen versions of the bishop, Waterloo and the convent digressions.

(And Cosette is a brunette and Enjolras is a blond, dammit.)

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Personally, i want Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop. Wouldn't that be 24,601 kinds of awesome? And an awesome chorus of Hey It's That Guys to be Les Amis. Thaxton would have to be Enjolras. But what bothers me is that in a play you can have a black Javert, a hispanic Fantine and an Asian Cosette, and no one blinks an eye, but in a movie, everyone has to be the right age/race, or it looks strange. So there goes Lea Salonga and Norm Lewis...

On the musical movie thread someone was saying there's no way to shoot One Day More without it looking stupid. I've been thinking about it; there is a way. If i get around to it i might storyboard it out...just because i must prove to myself that the greatest act 1 closer EVER will not have to be cut.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:13 pm

thoroughly_mod_mizzy wrote:And I insist that Neil Patrick Harris must be cast somewhere.

A non speaking role, with plenty of grime-creating makeup. ;) Possibly even an awful scraggly wig.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 am

it occurs to me that mr depp would make an excellent thenardier as long as he didn't... you know. I don't know. try to take over the film.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:48 am

Ooh, a platform for me to say this:
I really would like to see Alan Carr be Thenardier. I mean, I know it would probably be reaaaaally bad, but...I just wish it would happen. 'Cause he'd be so ridiculous.
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:05 am

MmeJavert wrote:
thoroughly_mod_mizzy wrote:And I insist that Neil Patrick Harris must be cast somewhere.

A non speaking role, with plenty of grime-creating makeup. ;) Possibly even an awful scraggly wig.

And he would still probably be attractive. Just saying.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I've got to admit that I want Hugh Laurie to play Thenardier. Because he's good at being bizarre and vaguely disgusting and he needs something to redeem himself since House has gone down the tubes. He's a little tallish for my taste, but I'll get over it.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Return to “Movies”