Quick question about Notre Dame de Paris

Anything by Victor Hugo besides Les Misérables.
Roses for Ophelia

Quick question about Notre Dame de Paris

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 am

Ok, just quick, stupid question, because i can't find the answer online, and you guys would probably know.

The 'revised' translation of Notre-Dame de Paris/Hunchback of Notre Dame by Catherine Liu--is it abridged? It just looks too short to me, and all the other copies i saw at the library seemed much longer. Is 'revised' code for abridged?

yes, i'm just getting around to reading it now. I started it a few years ago and stopped, so now i have to start again.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Frédérique

Re: Quick question about Notre Dame de Paris

Postby Frédérique » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:32 am

It seems to have 576 pages, which is along the lines of the copies I've seen (am just preparing to read it for the first time as well); perhaps the longer versions have larger print/margins or have illustrations? Normally I would think 'revised' meant 'on the basis of an earlier translation' (like Fahnestock/McAfee based their LM on Wilbour's) ... which can go both ways. Somebody in this MdN thread suggests that Liu is fine because '[s]he restores some of Hugo's more erotic, disturbing, and heretical language that the older translations try to cover up', which sounds 1. like the fate of a lot of Hugo in translation :D and 2. pretty unabridged to me.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks, that's exactly what i wanted to know!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Frédérique wrote:Somebody in this MdN thread[/url] suggests that Liu is fine because '[s]he restores some of Hugo's more erotic, disturbing, and heretical language that the older translations try to cover up', which sounds 1. like the fate of a lot of Hugo in translation :D and 2. pretty unabridged to me.

Well, there may be a few bowdlerised older editions still bobbing around (the Airmont Classics edition is one, but at least it has a very pretty cover – or would do if Quasimodo would move his elbow and stop blocking the clerical eye-candy!)
However, the Oxford Classics ed. that I use isn't sanitised, nor is the Penguin Classic. I wonder if the ongoing bowdlerisation has been more of a problem in the US (the Airmont ed. is American)?
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Well...has to do with it hasn't it? It has! New bells for Notre Dame inaugurated: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21909649
http://www.businessweek.com/printer/art ... y-in-paris
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Return to “Victor Hugo's works”