Forum Rankings: Revisited

Any questions about this forum should be asked here.
MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Forum Rankings: Revisited

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:01 am

I floated this idea before as with the karma points, and I just don't have the mental energy to actually modify the code to the board, as karma points would require. It seems a pretty unnecessary undertaking, as some of you have helpfully already pointed out. However, the software has a built-in ranking system if I choose to utilise it.

Looking for member input on this. Rankings:
Do you care one way or another if you do have a ranking?
Do you want post count to determine the rankings? (if so what should we call the rankings?)
Do you want to be able to add a custom ranking for yourself (likely if certain criteria are met; possibly as an extra donation incentive -- i.e., donate and receive the ability to give yourself a rank.
You know, such as "Chief Caregiver for Jehan's lobster" or somesuch. ;) )?
Do you have another idea?

Me personally, I don't like the blank space for ranking that pretty much every user has in the memberlist. I like a bit of neatness, but that's just me. I also like being able to climb the ranks in other forums from "newbie" to "veteran" or whatever the rank system is.

Either way, it's a quick tool to implement. The only thing I don't know is how it behaves with existing postcount: I'd assume it takes your original post count: if you have 1000 posts and you need 1000 to achieve the top ranking, then you automatically get added to the top ranking.

Thoughts here please. :)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Euphrasie

Re: Forum Rankings: Revisited

Postby Euphrasie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:34 am

I certainly wouldn't mind being the caregiver for Jehan's lobster. I'd wrap it up in silk and ribbons, and walk it every day around lunch.

In all seriousness though, custom usertitles for donours sounds pretty nice.
I'm pretty sure my cat's been reading my diary.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:58 am

1. I can live without a ranking and would not mind sparing a small sum even without reward.
2. But it would be fun to think up flashy rank names :)
3. The post count seems at once the fairest and unfairest way of determining the ranking - fair because it'd be a sort of guarantee of impartiality (although in a relatively small, peaceful community such as this, that probably isn't needed), unfair because - why should a person with a thousand posts in the General Discussion or Games section have a higher rank than one with a hundred posts of discussion or fanwork? (This came up before.) The people on this board don't seem likely to start posting madly all over the place only to advance in ranking, but if rankings are in some way to be read as a help to newbies in recognising who is an old hand and/or an especially diligent artist/writer/nerd, basing the system on post count might distort the impression.

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:55 pm

Frédérique wrote:1. I can live without a ranking and would not mind sparing a small sum even without reward.
2. But it would be fun to think up flashy rank names :)
3. The post count seems at once the fairest and unfairest way of determining the ranking - fair because it'd be a sort of guarantee of impartiality (although in a relatively small, peaceful community such as this, that probably isn't needed), unfair because - why should a person with a thousand posts in the General Discussion or Games section have a higher rank than one with a hundred posts of discussion or fanwork? (This came up before.) The people on this board don't seem likely to start posting madly all over the place only to advance in ranking, but if rankings are in some way to be read as a help to newbies in recognising who is an old hand and/or an especially diligent artist/writer/nerd, basing the system on post count might distort the impression.

I've seen forums where Games Posts don't add to post count...maybe something like that could be arranged.
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Inspector Karamazov wrote:I've seen forums where Games Posts don't add to post count...maybe something like that could be arranged.

It's not a standard feature. phpBB has a lot of mods available -- actual modifications to the board code which allow you to do things the original software developers didn't add in. The board has rankings which can be determined by post count; it does not allow you to specify which posts count towards your postcount. It only asks for a minimum. There are postcount mods that allow you to do extra stuff with rankings and points and postcounts, however, and I may do this sometime. If I do, it's a given that OT posts won't count towards the final count.

I'm just sort of waffling on doing this because I don't want to go through the tedium of editing phpBB code to make it work correctly with postcount mods if only a couple people actually like the idea.

(If anyone noticed their postcount changing... I deleted the entire old forum games board; and some people lost hundreds of posts as a result. Including me.)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:46 pm

I pretty much second everything Frédérique said. I... genuinely can't think of anything to add except the fact that I'm paying attention and that's how I feel.

Capitally Drunk

Postby Capitally Drunk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Post counts, rankings, silly little under-the-avatar-wordings don't matter to me one bit. If the concern is showing newbies who is a veteran and what not, consider: Someone who has been familiar and well-researched on topics concerning the board source (The Brick, the musical the general Les Mis-ness etc) for 20 years and has 100 posts, vs someone who just saw the musical a few times a couple years ago and has 1000 posts. XD

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm

My tendency is more towards that user titles and / or rankings are not necessary. But I have to admit that I'm pretty much okay with either option in the end. So I'll simply join the majority. If more of us want user titles and / or rankings I'm fine with that and if more of us are against them I'm even more fine with that. :wink: :P
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~
(Listen, your instinct will lead you!)

~*What makes us special makes us strong!*~

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Capitally Drunk wrote:Post counts, rankings, silly little under-the-avatar-wordings don't matter to me one bit. If the concern is showing newbies who is a veteran and what not, consider: Someone who has been familiar and well-researched on topics concerning the board source (The Brick, the musical the general Les Mis-ness etc) for 20 years and has 100 posts, vs someone who just saw the musical a few times a couple years ago and has 1000 posts. XD

I see where you're coming from, but the difference to me is that that old school fan will stick around a lot longer than the n00b will. And if Mme Javert implements the weighted points system she's been thinking about I'm sure the hardcore fan will rocket right on up there while the one who's just stopping by will probably linger on the games boards for all of eternity... anyway, the forum is small enough here that rankings would only be symbolic anyway. We all know which fans can identify Irma Boissy and have, um, tracked down the Field of the Lark. :wink:

I'm mostly for it because I want to see cute levels... if they're all based on Abaissé jokes it'll be even more fun. Caregiver for Jehan's Lobster, Chief... Skull Hollower-Outer...
...Violinist Who Will Tame the Zombie Apocalypse...

Euphrasie

Postby Euphrasie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Strip Faro Card Dealer, Skull Gatherer, Dispenser for cholera purgatives. . .
I'm pretty sure my cat's been reading my diary.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 am

Bottom/Top Enjolras Supporter

Yeah, not so much with the funny on that one.

Ahem.

I'm going to be extremely non-helpful and say that whatever is decided is fine with me. I really don't care one way or the other.
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 am

I've managed to find the option (already existing on the board -- this is proof that there are WAY too many options for me to find by myself!) to turn off post counting for specific boards. So any posts made in General Discussion and Forum Games will NO LONGER count towards your post count. Unfortunately I can't retroactively uncount posts you made beforehand, but hey, it's better than nothing.

The weighted points system was based upon a mod available in phpBB version 2 that does not currently seem to be available as a version 3 mod. So I'm more likely to institute not-very-serious postcount-based rankings than anything else.

Also, I meant custom rankings (like Chief Caregiver for Jehan's lobster) in the sense that it could be specified by an individual user as their own special rank that other people don't have -- not custom rank in the sense that it's native to this board and whoever achieves X post count can also get to that status. So yes, theoretically a user could meet certain criteria and be allowed to make up a rank for herself and have it go under her username (viz. "Benevolent Dictator" under my own).

Keep the suggestions coming. ;)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

a_marguerite

Postby a_marguerite » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 am

I'm personally rather fond of "Enlightened Despot" for you, but "Benevolent Dictator" works just as well!

I like the idea of fandom in-joke rankings, personally, though I don't particularly care how they're implimented.

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 am

There were two different suggestions, right? Ranking by post count with pre-determined ranks to climb and custom ranks as treats to donators/people who swear to bring a live lobster to the theatre on June 6? Or was it both (generic ranks for everyone, special ranks for those who earned them)? Or a mixture (ability to design individual rank upon reaching a certain post count)? I'm fine with any and all of these, just confused which are/were actually suggested :D

MusicalTwin

Postby MusicalTwin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:43 pm

In that case (if we're talking about self-chosen user titles that are optional and that everybody can apply if and as they want) I'm enthusiastically supporting them! I know what mine would be... *keeps it a secret for now* :mrgreen: But I don't see what should be wrong about them. If they are really optional (as a part of the user profile controls) and nobody has to fill that field out... Then everybody who wants to can and those who don't are free not to. What harm could that do?
~*Last' inn tegitha!*~
(Listen, your instinct will lead you!)

~*What makes us special makes us strong!*~

Return to “Questions and Answers”