Paul Adam's "Au soleil de juillet" - Amis cameos?

Discussion on any 19th century written works by authors other than Hugo.
sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Here's a rather entertaining article about the appearance of the Balzac characters (with occasional mentions of Hugo thrown in for good measure).

http://www.cairn.info/revue-l-annee-balzacienne-2004-1-page-39.htm

My two months of French can only make out bits of it, but I especially appreciate the idea of a "Hugo-Balzac-reality" triangle and the discussion of Michel Chrestien's beard (contrasted, naturally, with Enjolras' hair).

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

IT'S WORKING! (None of the different editions listed on Google Books were available; only the one had a snippet preview, all the others had not as much as a cover, not to mention a text excerpt.) Thank you so much!

Here's a rather entertaining article about the appearance of the Balzac characters [...]

That was the 'this article' I linked to in the initial post :D (it was actually how I came across the entire thing in the first place, browsing Balzacien articles; I had originally set out Googling Rastignac and Courfeyrac in conjunction to see if anyone, anywhere, had ever conducted a proper scientific study of The Law Student And His Tendency To Not Go To Lectures, Like, Ever in nineteenth century French literature - it was the first hit; the second is you, actually!)

sophiedegrouchy

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 pm

Whoops! That's clearly what I get for skimming posts and/or being too lazy to click most French links. :oops:

Frédérique wrote:the second is you, actually!)

Well, that's entertaining. I'm rather proud, even though I've come to the conclusion that my sad little attempts at Huzac are sorely lacking. (e.g.: I made the mistake of thinking that the shopkeeper who killed Chrestien was an insurgent. Double whoops! Les secrets de la Princesse de Cadignan showed me my error, as well as demonstrated that dear Chrestien had as much in common with Marius as any of the others...)

silverwhistle

Re: Paul Adam's "Au soleil de juillet" - Amis cameos?

Postby silverwhistle » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:35 pm

This is fascinating! I had no idea that this sort of cross-referencing/cross-over fic went on in 19C literature! I've seen authors pop references to characters from their own work into other stories, but this is intriguing!
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Return to “Other 19th Century Literature”