Where would grisettes live?

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
loyaulte_me_lie

Where would grisettes live?

Postby loyaulte_me_lie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:47 pm

I have the 1830 map signposted on Chanvrerie.net for building my headcanon for fic, and I know the students existed around the Latin Quartier - where would people like Feuilly/Musichetta/Bahorel's laughing mistress have lived (assuming that they're all working class). Internet is being unhelpful! Would it be the same places but in the garret rooms at the very top or would they have been clustered in a particular area of the city?

Thanks!

deHavilland

Re: Where would grisettes live?

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Feuilly doesn't necessarily need to be grouped with the ladies, you could find some kind of support to put him just about anywhere depending on what you want to do with him: group him with the Polish contingent, artists, thieves, whatever story you want to tell for Feuilly, you can fairly well justify.

But for Musichetta and Bahorel's Laughing Mistress, the idea of the grisette is tightly tied to Bohemian culture, for the most part it's suggested that the land of the grisette is the Latin Quarter, where they fit snugly in against the Bohemian students. Within the Latin Quarter, you can go a couple of routes: the idea of the grisette is that she's an independent, working-class woman. She can live on her own in a small space that she rents (or that is paid for by a lover), she could share a space with a roommate or several, or she could live with said lover but a grisette's situation tends to change over the course of the year: when the term ends, students may go home to the provinces and she could well be out on her luck if they've been shacked up.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

loyaulte_me_lie

Postby loyaulte_me_lie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:04 am

Thank you very much, that's so useful! I was initially wondering whether they'd be in the St-Antoine (I think?) area of the city where all the factories were, but I guess if they're mostly home-employed stitching then they wouldn't be tied to that area of the city.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:32 pm

Keep in mind that the grisette is more of an idea than a specific class of woman: kind of like a Valley Girl. A Valley Girl is characterized by their colloquial way of speaking and their love of shopping, but named for the San Fernando Valley that they "come from." You can talk like a Valley Girl and shop like a Valley Girl, but are you really a Valley Girl if you aren't from the Valley? Some people say yes, some people say no.

Grisettes are tied to Bohemian culture, which suggests the Latin Quarter. Same question applies: you can act like a grisette, but are you really a grisette if you aren't partying with the students in the Latin Quarter? Maybe, maybe not. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the exact percentage, but basically every quarter (which is how rent was calculated, rather than monthly) MOST of Paris got up and changed apartments, typically you'd stay in the same neighborhood, but maybe not, it's not an exact science.

In regards to being employed doing piecework at home: grisettes could be employed in the factories, too, or work as shop assistants, seamstresses, in cafes, maybe as artist's models.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

loyaulte_me_lie

Postby loyaulte_me_lie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:16 pm

You're an absolute fount of knowledge, thank you! I'm trying to find sources and things on the Internet and get caught up with reading/research but sometimes the things I need are so obscure :lol:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:42 pm

I've just written enough fic over the years to have researched into the day-to-day minutiae! Application of the facts help stick it in the ol' memory banks.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”