West End Cast - 2017/2018

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Morbidmuch_

Re: West End Cast - 2017/2018

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm listening to a full bootleg of this cast on the train for the first time, and can I just say how much I dislike Karis Jack's Éponine? I honestly struggle to find anything I like about her.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm

KD.png
KD.png (199.54 KiB) Viewed 1343 times

https://twitter.com/killiandonnelly/sta ... 5564511232

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Seeing this gave me happy feelings. Do we have any confirmations about Killian leaving in June?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 am

Awww, that is actually really cute.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Killian/Thaxton doing the confrontation here: http://olivia-y113.tumblr.com/post/170833782939/

Killian still sounds more or less the way he did when he was Enjolras, but Thaxton sounds completely different.

Morbidmuch_ wrote:I'm listening to a full bootleg of this cast on the train for the first time, and can I just say how much I dislike Karis Jack's Éponine? I honestly struggle to find anything I like about her.

Have to agree. I was hoping she'd get better as time went on but it's been over 7 months and that hasn't happened. Ditto for the Thenardiers. Jacqueline's comedic timing is terrible, this is the first Madam Thenardier I've seen that couldn't get a laugh from the audience for 'thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there'. Steven seems to have toned down the ad-libbed lines/jokes (and the awful fake-French accent), but still not much improvement. I think for all three Thenardiers the understudies do a better job than their principals.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Killian/Thaxton doing the confrontation here: http://olivia-y113.tumblr.com/post/170833782939/

That Confrontation was soooo good!

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:41 am

The new trailer is out. Honestly, it's...kind of underwhelming. Some nice visuals but not exactly epic.
I wonder if there'll be other edits available.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Well, it's just footage of the show with a different cast. It's not like they're going to add jet packs and bears or anything.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:38 pm

deHavilland wrote:Well, it's just footage of the show with a different cast. It's not like they're going to add jet packs and bears or anything.

Well they could do something like the convicts rowing a ship or Valjean/Javert fighting with chains but that would be too unbelievable.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:09 am

They've had that stuff in the trailer before IIRC, so it stI'll wouldn't be that innovative.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

EnjysVest

Postby EnjysVest » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you know if there's a standby schedule? I haven't been in 2 years and I can't remember whether alternates perform weekday shows. I'd really like to see Thaxton and Killian but I'll only be in London from Monday through Thursday so I might be out of luck haha. Thanks :)

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 am

I think I remember something about Valjean alternates on Mondays, but don't quote me on that.

EnjysVest

Postby EnjysVest » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 pm

@Morbidmuch_ thanks for your help! Sorry for the belated reply. I ended up going last Wednesday, and I got to see all of the principal cast for everyone except Mme T! Killian and Thaxton were both fabulous, easily the best Valjean and Javert I have seen live. I was especially amazed by Javert's suicide; usually I have trouble suspending my belief for that scene, since it's very clearly on a flat stage and not an actual bridge, but Thaxton sold it so well, I really felt swept up in the emotional arc of the song.

I did not like Karis Jack, but I feel like she has a lot of potential to grow into the role. I thought her voice was fine, but she seemed to be rushing through her lines and blocking without delivering much genuine feeling behind them. Her gestures were kind of distracting as well. I also thought her blocking with Marius came across as physically rougher than usual, maybe because the closeness of their friendship wasn't apparent. It just looked like they were yanking and shoving each other around an awful lot.

I REALLY didn't like Charlotte Kennedy, for the same reason that I disliked Zoe Doano. I think they both played Cosette as kind of hyper and frenetic, which is not only a strange choice for her character, but also makes the lyrics distractingly breathy. I can understand wanting Cosette to be youthful, but I think the balance between her youth and her personality can be better -- like Katie Hall had a sort of bounciness without coming across as...over-caffeinated. This might just be a me problem though lol, Kennedy and Doano both had fine acting and vocal performances, they just didn't work for the character in my opinion.

Paul Wilkins was also great! He managed to be charismatic and slightly dorky and still adorable, and his Empty Chairs was excellent. (I wish I had paid more attention to it honestly; I was still in shock at the magnificent Javert's Soliloquy). I thought Mme. T (I believe Katie Kerr) was a little over the top, but she got a lot of laughs so it seemed to work for the audience. Everyone else was great!

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 am

Anyone know when cast change will be announced?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Should be in the next couple of weeks I would expect. They usually start rehearsing mid-May with the new cast.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Les Misérables”