Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
TheRandomPhangirl

Re: Le Cafe Mu(in)sain

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm

We both ended up crying on each other and holding each other's hands at particularly sad bits! It was like the mix of being with someone who's enjoying themself and a high-energy performance just made the entire experience 100 times better. :D
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Sounds amazing. The most reaction I've gotten out of people I've gone with is...polite enjoyment (and sometimes confusion) :lol:
(My best friend in London hates it with a passion.)

(Although a few times when I've gone on my own I'd meet a fellow enthusiast and we'd gush over our favourite actors and it's awesome).

Postby 23623 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:33 am

@Olivia: Congratulations and wish you all the best! I just started my last year in university which means my life will quickly go to hell.

@Phangirl: I love your new avatar! Thank you for giving me a ginger Éponine I need this very much you have no idea :D

I've never seen Les Mis on stage but I once watched Phantom with several friends who know literally nothing about musicals. After the show I asked them how they liked it, and a friend replied, "well, did you notice that the couple sitting in front of us spent most of the time kissing and it was kinda distracting but funny?" I couldn't believe she was actually watching them instead of the actors on stage! :lol: After Phantom I've never dragged people who are not really interested to watch shows with me again. I mostly go on my own now, which I think is definitely better for both my friends and myself, as they don't have to suffer through my pre- and post-show ramblings and I can fully enjoy the performance. :D
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:13 am

I saw the most incredibly awful schools Ed production today. Like, wow.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:32 am

23623 wrote:@Phangirl: I love your new avatar! Thank you for giving me a ginger Éponine I need this very much you have no idea :D
After Phantom I've never dragged people who are not really interested to watch shows with me again. I mostly go on my own now, which I think is definitely better for both my friends and myself, as they don't have to suffer through my pre- and post-show ramblings and I can fully enjoy the performance. :D

Aw, thank you! It was my first sketch I did on my tablet; it seems she's my go to character to sketch. Wonder why that is :roll: :lol:

I usually go on my own too, mainly because i can't think of many of my friends who would want to sit through four hours of Hamlet, regardless of how good Icke's production at the Harold Pinter is. (Sidenote: I saw it a month ago and still think about it daily. That's how good)

Acaila wrote:I saw the most incredibly awful schools Ed production today. Like, wow.

Oh dear, do tell! Blacklick-level bad?

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 am

I watched Follies last night, I saw Philip Quast singing live, and I was absolutely giddy.
The rest of the cast is fantastic as well, but I admit he was the reason I bought the ticket.

Sadly I didn't catch him at the stage door. I took too long to find where it was, and unlike Les MIs they don't need that much time to take off makeup etc so by the time I got there he was walking away with some people (I assume friends/family) and it seemed inappropriate to interrupt. (There were heaps of people at stage door but most were there for Imelda Staunton)

BTW for those who are in London (or can get here with ease): Philip and co-star Janice Dee will be doing a talk at the National Theatre next Thursday afternoon (14th September), tickets are £7 (£5 concession).

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 am

So, I've moved. I'm in my student accommodation now, and because I moved in on the day the contract started, there's no one else in my flat yet, apart from from an elusive roommate who I haven't actually seen yet.
I'm a little (read: lot) homesick, but I think that's mainly because I'm by myself and don't have a routine yet.

Postby 23623 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 am

Olivia_y wrote:I watched Follies last night, I saw Philip Quast singing live, and I was absolutely giddy.
The rest of the cast is fantastic as well, but I admit he was the reason I bought the ticket.

Sadly I didn't catch him at the stage door. I took too long to find where it was, and unlike Les MIs they don't need that much time to take off makeup etc so by the time I got there he was walking away with some people (I assume friends/family) and it seemed inappropriate to interrupt. (There were heaps of people at stage door but most were there for Imelda Staunton)

BTW for those who are in London (or can get here with ease): Philip and co-star Janice Dee will be doing a talk at the National Theatre next Thursday afternoon (14th September), tickets are £7 (£5 concession).

I admit I haven't seen Follies but it's been on my list for some time. The plot sounds really interesting. I have its libretto and plan to watch the show after reading it. So how do you like this musical? And did you go to the talk?

Also, I just read an interview with Philip Quast which I'd really love to share! There's a reason why we all love and admire him. He's truly a great man. :D

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:So, I've moved. I'm in my student accommodation now, and because I moved in on the day the contract started, there's no one else in my flat yet, apart from from an elusive roommate who I haven't actually seen yet.
I'm a little (read: lot) homesick, but I think that's mainly because I'm by myself and don't have a routine yet.

*hugs* I'm sure everything will be better once you figure out what you're going to do.

Hope you'll enjoy your new life as a college student! As a senior I'm really going to miss the four years I spend in college. It's probably the best time I've had and could have of my life.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:00 pm

awww best of luck citizens!! college is an awesome time of life, hoping to go to grad school when I get money or accepted to a gsa position

from a 2016 graduate, I miss college everyday and long to be back there.. still miss it
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:08 am

Gosh I love Quast so much. I have zero interest in Follies, but I may have to force myself to go and see it - the NT Live Screening is playing at our local cinema at least - just for him, especially if he's pulling this "no more musicals" nonsense.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:07 am

23623 wrote:So how do you like this musical? And did you go to the talk?

The show was...okay, I guess. I mean it was colourful and had extravagant costumes and sets, there was a lot of dark humour and as I said the whole cast is really good at what they do. The show is about people who've reached a certain age and looking back at their youths/regrets etc, so it'd probably resonate more with older people (which most of the audience were). I probably wouldn't have paid to watch it live if it wasn't for Philip.

I did go to the talk! It was really interesting and covered some of the ground in that interview you linked to. Janie Dee has a lovely speaking manner and the host was pretty good, but again my main focus was on Philip. At one point he mentioned dealing with depression and mental health for most of his life, and he did in such a candid way I thought he was still talking about the character, but then realised - nope, this is personal.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Ah, cool to see the Quast getting to perform again! I admittedly haven't taken the time yet to check out "Follies"; but I'm a fan of Sondheim's shows in general, so I do mean to get to it sometime. Though, what's this about Quast saying he's going to stop doing musicals? :? (Didn't Earl say the same thing a few years ago, though, but then kept returning to LM and POTO?)

So, I found out some news... My former high school will be doing LM in November! I am planning on seeing it, and will let you all know what I think (and if there are any hilarious "school edition" changes...) They're not a religious school, and the drama teacher (same one who was there a decade ago when I was a student) is pretty liberal; but you never know. :lol:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Woooooooop! Definitely expecting a full review of that!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:48 am

So I just read this interview with Philip Quast in which he talks a little about his decision to quit. It seems that he simply doesn't want to do it anymore, which I completely understand, and I'm glad that he's very honest about this. Performing at such a high frequency is taxing, and he indeed isn't young anymore. It's better for both himself and the audience not to force himself to do something he doesn't want to.

This reminds me of another interview with one of the original cast members of a show which I found a while ago. He left the show 3 years after the premiere and never wanted to return to it again. He even refused to sing songs from the show in concerts and other events. The reason is that he thought performing the same role for such a long time undermined creativity and made him feel exhausted and empty. I don't know if Philip Quast is experiencing the same thing now. :( It's a problem that as audience we always love to see the same thing with the same people over and over again, but the actors sometimes really need to move on or have a rest. *sigh*

Speaking of this, I wonder how some people manage to stick to the same show for an insanely loooooong time. Willemijn has been playing Elphaba for like 10 years. How is this even possible? Has she never felt like she's done with Wicked and wants to try something new? :shock:

@ Prisoner 24653, tbh I think Earl Carpenter should have left Les Mis right after the 25th anniversary production. He was obviously very tired of the show already by the time he joined the Asian tour. Wish we could have seen some new people who actually have the passion do it.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm

23623 wrote:
@ Prisoner 24653, tbh I think Earl Carpenter should have left Les Mis right after the 25th anniversary production. He was obviously very tired of the show already by the time he joined the Asian tour. Wish we could have seen some new people who actually have the passion do it.

After Toronto, he said he would never do the show again. And then they called him for Broadway and he agreed, and then they called him for the International Tour and he agreed. Who knows, maybe Broadway and Asia were too good to say no to and now he's done.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “General Discussion”