Headcanons of Characters

Meta related to characters, plots, or other elements introduced by Victor Hugo in Les Misérables.

Re: Headcanons of Characters

Postby 23623 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

*nervously sneaks in*
Have something to share but not sure if I've come to the correct place, so feel free to move/delete this if it's off-topic!

So the idea of Javert having a daughter has stayed in my mind ever since I read that Scarlet Pimpernel novel about Chauvelin and his daughter. And it literally started torturing my heart after I discovered Hamilton. Every time I listen to "Dear Theodosia" I can't help but think that if Javert had a daughter he would feel the same way. He could be like Aaron Burr who's really awkward at domestic life or like Chauvelin who's a really sweet and loving dad, I don't really know, but I believe he totally would think it is his responsibility to right all the wrongs in this society, to maintain justice, so that common people like his daughter could live in a better place. And a question for those who are familiar with fan fictions: have you come across anything that sort of expands this idea? If so please tell me where to find them and I'd love to give them a try. :) And you're not mistaken, this is really me. The no.1 fan fiction hater in this world is asking for fan fiction recommendation. I feel pretty surprised too honestly. :shock:

Other non-canon things I've thought about:
- Valjean and Fantine. Ok I admit sometimes I ship them, and yes in a romantic way (if they got married Cosette would truly have the best possible life and Valjean and Fantine could help each other fix up the mess that was their life before) but most of the time it's just a very special relation between these two, especially after Fantine's death. It's my biggest Les Mis guilty pleasure please don't judge me. I just love the thought that Fantine was someone really special and important in Valjean's life. She changed Valjean's life as much as the Bishop and little Gervais did. The Bishop taught him to love and to be a good man. He thought he had learned the lesson, he had changed from the criminal he used to be, but Gervais made him question that. Then he became the mayor. He thought he was good enough, he had provided the best for his people, but Fantine made him question that. Just like he wanted to apologize to Gervais but only to find that the boy was gone, he had tried to fix things up but Fantine died anyway. It was like the biggest failure on his journey to become the "saint". He must have been carrying that sense of guilt with him all his life. Every time he saw Cosette, a part of her would remind him of Fantine, of what he had failed to do. Also I've seen TV adaptation of Les Mis where Valjean had dreams about Fantine and I totally adore this. She would always be there in his memory, clear his doubts, and encourage him to try harder to be an even better man than he already was.

- Mabeuf adopting Gavroche and living happily ever after together. Just imagine Mabeuf and Gavroche living in the same house. I could just sit and listen to their conversation every day and I would never get bored. :D

- This is 100% musical influence but I tend to age up the younger characters when I read the book. I make Marius, Cosette and Éponine between 20 and 25, and les amis around 30. I can't bring myself to imagine Marius and Cosette as teenagers. It seems so weird.

- Regarding physical appearance: again 100% musical influence. Take a look at Éponine and the Bishop in the movie and everyone else in the TAC, that's basically my mental image of the characters. I don't really imagine how they look according to the descriptions in the book. In fact Hugo's description of Javert and Enjolras caught me off guard completely, as I watched the musical before reading the brick. When I read it for the first time I was like: *looks at Quast* *reads* :o (24601 pages later) *looks at TAC Enjolras* *reads* :shock:

- Eugène François as Javert's given name. Not my idea, I just love it. Credit to the genius who came up with this gem in a name discussion we had earlier.

Er...apologize for the Hugo-length post! :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I picture Javert with a beard and mustache.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:49 pm

CeridwenLynne wrote:I picture Javert with a beard and mustache.

No, can't handle that. Just not period. Beards were something to get rid of as soon as you got out of the galleys.

In a few years beards came back and girls were swooning over long, "silky" (ha!) beards like Longstreet's. But by his time the younger men were shaving again.

Wonder when shaving got started and HOW?? How far back do beards go anyway? Apes don't have beards. Must have been a weird mutation--long head hair too.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Fri May 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I don't picture him with a full beard like Longstreet --more like a goatee.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:43 pm

CeridwenLynne wrote:I don't picture him with a full beard like Longstreet --more like a goatee.
Yeah, maybe I could deal with that. Still want the hefty sideburns, though.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Brick Meta”