The Rant thread

Obsess over Harry Potter, regale us with Fluffy's latest escapades, ask for advice on what colour to dye your hair, and continue the raging debate of Pirates vs. Ninjas -- whatever strikes your fancy.
CC21106

Re: The Rant thread

Postby CC21106 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Darn! I had something to rant about and completely forgot it.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Okay this is from a while ago and may have already been ranted about but that video that uses DYHTPS as the backdrop for a certain US president elect just brings up all colours of NOPE :shock: in me. And what's worse is that other LM videos now have comments which reference this. Blah.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Okay this is from a while ago and may have already been ranted about but that video that uses DYHTPS as the backdrop for a certain US president elect just brings up all colours of NOPE :shock: in me. And what's worse is that other LM videos now have comments which reference this. Blah.

That event actually made me feel violated :cry: :lol:
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Olivia_y wrote:... that video that uses DYHTPS as the backdrop for a certain US president elect ....

Ye gods, somebody did that? :cry:
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:27 am

Rant: Show-Javert is so religious. Talking about people falling from grace, looking at crosses and such. Book-Javert is not religious at all. The LAW is his religion. Did I talk about this before? Very likely I did and forgot it. He only gets a religious instinct at the end, and it tears him up.

"There had taken place within him a sentimental revelation entirely distinct from legal affirmation, his only standard of measurement hitherto. To remain in his former uprightness did not suffice. A whole order of unexpected facts had cropped up and subjugated him. A whole new world was dawning on his soul: kindness accepted and repaid, devotion, mercy, indulgence, violences committed by pity on austerity, respect for persons, no more definitive condemnation, no more conviction, the possibility of a tear in the eye of the law, no one knows what justice according to God, running in inverse sense to justice according to men. He perceived amid the shadows the terrible rising of an unknown moral sun; it horrified and dazzled him." (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/135/135-h/135-h.htm#link2HCH0341)

Postby 23623 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:09 am

Now it's time to bring back one old rant that probably every mizzie has ranted...
Show-Eponine is totally different from book-Eponine.

The other day I was talking about this with a friend. She had taken some theater courses. Her teacher once said it's natural that Éponine can attract so many teenage fangirls. She's just the character that teenagers can "relate to". Look, her unrequited love for Marius and her sacrifice for him seem so heroic. She's brokenhearted that Marius loves Cosette, but she helps him to be with her anyway. She's such a great character, etc, etc...And I was like...NO. :roll: Book-Eponine is NOT like that. Her moral is quite questionable in the book. She and Marius are not even friends to begin with, and she NEVER wants Marius and Cosette together. She's trying to separate them, not unite them. Ugh...sometimes show-only Eppie fans really bother me. Well, this might sound a bit hypocritical because I read the book after watching the musical, I still ship Marius/Éponine in the show, and affectionate Marius/Éponine interactions are one of my biggest LM guilty pleasures. But I know what book-Eppie is like, and I at least won't claim that she's some sort of heroine or bash Marius or Cosette in defense of her.

Another totally irrelevant rant: the new BBC adaption of The Three Musketeers. Was watching this yesterday for nostalgia. I was madly obsessed with the novel when I was like 10 and I had a huge crush on Aramis then. I had also considered watching other Dumas novel adaptions but was deterred by what I saw of this series. It's so terrible in so many ways that I don't even know where to start bashing. Huh, I thought the Scarlet Pimpernel one they did was bad enough. BBC, you're on my bad list now.
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm

On the subject of Éponine: I'm almost certain that most of the performers who play her (especially in recent years) don't base her charsdtisation on the book-character at all, but rather an idealised version of her that they've formed after watching the stage musical themselves. Carrie Fletcher was once asked (on Tumblr) whether she thinks Éponine read Maruis' letter to Cosette before delivering it,and she replies that Éponine wouldn't betray Marius' trust like that, and that interpretation is obviously based on the stage character.

Personally I don't mind, I enjoy their stage performances and am okay with taking them as they are. The current London Éponine (Hollie O'Donoghue) does this thing after Marius climbs over the gate where she reaches through and helps him smooth his hair. That would be so OOC for book!Ponine and sounds like the sort of characterisation you'd find in one of those high school AU fics, but on stage it's just a really cute moment and I liked it.

The thing that I dont like though, is when people do character analysis on stage!Ponine. For one thing that's been reinterpreted so many times through the years you'd be hard pressed to pin one down (although if there are good comparative analyses of different interpretations - for any of the characters - I'd love to read those). Plus there's just not that much to work on - re her motivations etc., usually people (esp young girls) just project themselves on her.

(On the other hand, there are also people who - probably annoyed at the 'Saint Éponine' interpretation - go to the opposite extreme to say she was a mentally deranged ugly hag, which is also untrue. It's hard to find a middle ground with her.)

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:48 am

Olivia_y wrote:On the subject of Éponine: I'm almost certain that most of the performers who play her (especially in recent years) don't base her charsdtisation on the book-character at all, but rather an idealised version of her that they've formed after watching the stage musical themselves. Carrie Fletcher was once asked (on Tumblr) whether she thinks Éponine read Maruis' letter to Cosette before delivering it,and she replies that Éponine wouldn't betray Marius' trust like that, and that interpretation is obviously based on the stage character.

That's true! It would be really weird to do a book-Eppie on stage given that musical-Eppie is written so differently. I never liked Frances as Éponine even though her interpretation is true to the book. She freaks me out sometimes. I've seen some really creepy Eponines in bootlegs too. A rational part of me knows their acting is closer to the book character, but I still don't like them. :lol: I quite love Carrie though because she's cute. :D
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:54 am

Just to vent on a completely unrelated topic: if I ever have to do another group assignment that involves a shared Excel file I can't promise to not kill anyone :x

For crying out loud, the people in my group are all lovely, intelligent people, but its' like they've never used Excel before and they have NO concept of version control, and just go off making all these changes and then nothing is consistent anymore ARGH. And then I'd be looking at an 'updated' file going WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY FORMULAS? OMG GET RID OF THESE GHASTLY COLOURS!

Okay, to be fair I don't blame them so much as I blame the use of group assignments in general - especially the kind that is very hard to specify division of labour.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Olivia_y wrote:....group assignments in general - especially the kind that is very hard to specify division of labour.
Tell me about it. There's no better way to go in circles. Everybody well-meaning and good-intentioned and it still gets messed up.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:56 pm

The Factory Scene! Argh! In the book the factory is a good place to work. Fair wages and good working conditions and everybody's prosperous. Like the early days of the Lowell mills https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltham-Lowell_system. But in the show, "At the end of the day you're another day older/ And that's all you can say for the life of the poor/It's a struggle, it's a war." No, that's what happens after M. Madeleine is no longer in charge. Everything totally goes to hell. But it's fine while he's in benevolent capitalist mode. The show's factory does not reflect well on JVJ, sort of like the shooting-the-sniper scene.

Side note: Why does he pick the name "Madeleine" as his alias? After Mary Magdalene, the symbol of penitence?

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:11 pm

CC21106 wrote:The Factory Scene! Argh! In the book the factory is a good place to work. But in the show, "At the end of the day you're another day older/ And that's all you can say for the life of the poor/It's a struggle, it's a war." No, that's what happens after M. Madeleine is no longer in charge. Everything totally goes to hell. But it's fine while he's in benevolent capitalist mode. The show's factory does not reflect well on JVJ, sort of like the shooting-the-sniper scene

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first three verses of At the End of the Day sung by the beggars living on the street and not the factory workers? The first singing in the factory is "At the end of the day you get nothing for nothing, sitting flat on your bum doesn't buy any bread.", isn't it? That's always been my interpretation anyway.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the first three verses of At the End of the Day sung by the beggars living on the street and not the factory workers? The first singing in the factory is "At the end of the day you get nothing for nothing, sitting flat on your bum doesn't buy any bread.", isn't it? That's always been my interpretation anyway.

That's correct. But then in the factory you get

"There are children back at home
And the children have got to be fed
And you're lucky to be in a job
And in a bed!
And we're counting our blessings!"

(sung in a way that doesn't sound genuinely happy, but more like "This job sucks, but it's better than being out on the street, so we can't complain.")

And then:

"At the end of the day it's another day over
With enough in your pocket to last for a week
Pay the landlord, pay the shop
Keep on working as long as you're able
Keep on working till you drop
Or it's back to the crumbs off the table
You've got to pay your way
At the end of the day!"

Again, not horrible like being out on the street, but not "Yay, we love our jobs!" either.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:38 am

This is petty as hell, but I'mma complain anyway.
Other costumes have come. Some are great (I looove cosette's wedding dress) but some, especially enjolras' vest, are craaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
So I may be quickly supplying some supplementary stuff. I haven't got a huge deal of time, considering we get into the theatre in a week, and I've got mocks and a uni interview this week. :evil:
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:14 am

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:This is petty as hell, but I'mma complain anyway.
Other costumes have come. Some are great (I looove cosette's wedding dress) but some, especially enjolras' vest, are craaaaaaaaaaaaaap.
So I may be quickly supplying some supplementary stuff. I haven't got a huge deal of time, considering we get into the theatre in a week, and I've got mocks and a uni interview this week. :evil:

Post pics? Would that be legit? I'm trying to imagin= a crappy vest.

Return to “General Discussion”