Greetings!

Introduce yourself to the rest of us!
Chantefleurie

Greetings!

Postby Chantefleurie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Hello everyone!

My name on this site is Chantefleurie - a character from *gasp* a different Hugo book. This book, Notre-Dame de Paris, is one of my favourite ever. I first read it when I was about 8, and then again at 17, and reading it the second time I appreciated it much more than the first time. Around the same time as my second reread, I was part of a school band that decided to gang up with the choir and do a Les Mis medley for the concert finale. I figured I should know what I'm playing about, so I watched the musical and frankly - I was disappointed in more sense than one. For one thing, our choir has, in my opinion, done a much better musical job than the actors, and for another - I expected more from the story. Having read Notre Dame, I respected Hugo too much to believe that this is a true representation of his creation. So, several months later, I downloaded a copy of Les Mis and began the read.

The read took me another several months. :D

At first, I thought I'd read this book just to have read it, because all classics are worth knowing. However, having finished it, I already reread the second half of it, and I think in the not too far future I will be ready for a full reread. It's definitely a book that leaves a trace on you. Saying that, though, Notre Dame is still my favourite. :P

I hope to read and participate in some of the discussions here. I have a lot of first impressions to share, and no one to share them with in real life, so hopefully I'll be able to rant them off here. :)

Cheers!

Chantefleurie
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Prisoner 24653

Re: Greetings!

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:09 am

Hi there, and welcome! I'm James . . . Great to meet you! I hope you have fun posting in the many varied topics around here. :D

Chantefleurie

Postby Chantefleurie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Hi there, and welcome! I'm James . . . Great to meet you! I hope you have fun posting in the many varied topics around here. :D

Hi James!

Yeah, I'm learning my way around. It seems awfully quiet, though - but maybe it's just that since it's the weekend, I'm spending too much time on this forum. Some threads haven't been touched for years, though.

One question - I still don't really get what the Meta forum is for. Like, how are the threads there different from the other classifications (written works, art, etc)?
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 am

Chantefleurie wrote:
Prisoner 24653 wrote:Hi there, and welcome! I'm James . . . Great to meet you! I hope you have fun posting in the many varied topics around here. :D

Hi James!

Yeah, I'm learning my way around. It seems awfully quiet, though - but maybe it's just that since it's the weekend, I'm spending too much time on this forum. Some threads haven't been touched for years, though.

One question - I still don't really get what the Meta forum is for. Like, how are the threads there different from the other classifications (written works, art, etc)?

The Meta forum seems to be for discussing topics, characters, themes, or other things from the novel that relate or can be applied to our real lives. Not sure that all the topics in there would fit (or whether my definition is correct), though.

And yeah, the forum's been pretty quiet in recent months. Possibly due to people's school/work schedules and other things.

Return to “Introductions”