The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Postby Acaila » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:07 am

I haven't really heard a lot of buzz about Cabaret at all, I wonder why that is.

I'm not saying Les Mis deserves to win Best Revival incidentally, just that it would probably be good for the long term prospects of the show and hopefully future casts that we might get as a result.

I know nothing at all about Violet, didn't even realise it was a revival. And I don't know, but a revival of something that was off-Broadway in the first place just seems a bit "not a revival" to me. One of my personal weirdnesses I'm sure, though I do quite like Hedwig, at least at times. And if it was going to be one each with Hedwig, I'd rather NPH got the acting nod and Les Mis the show got the revival one. Because I'm a bitch who tends to get snitty about Cammack's Latest Fave, whoever they are (yep I'm now re-writing Evita to be about casting it seems)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 am

I know nothing about Violet, either, but now that you mention it, I do find it a bit odd that it's up for "Best Revival" despite never having been performed on Broadway before. Ditto for Hedwig, actually. The same thing happened with R&H's Cinderella last year and Sondheim's Assassins in 2004, though; I guess that like Hedwig, Cinderella is just one of those things that's been around forever and so pretty much every single theatre person knows of it. But still, since nearly every show gets its start off-Broadway or in another state/country before the Broadway production opens, I wonder where they draw the line? Especially with something like Aladdin, which has been done onstage numerous times before in different venues, though with very different productions that were all superior to the one on Broadway right now. :?

So yeah . . . guess we'll see who wins. And yeah, the Cabaret situation's rather odd. Maybe the reason why it wasn't up for "best revival" was because it's pretty much the same production as they did in 1998 but with a (mostly) new cast and some relatively minor changes. It did get nominations for "featured actor" and "featured actress," so it wasn't ignored completely.

I'd love to see NPH win a Tony, but I'm not a big Hedwig fan, and I'd also love to see Ramin (and LM in general, less-than-stellar production aside) win something . . . I'm torn. :lol:

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:33 am

Well, when they made the decision to rule Violet and Hedwig as revivals when they've only been performed previously off-Broadway, (and Violet for like only a month, which is hardly anything, Hedwig at least ran for two years), it seemed a little "really?" But look at the Best Revival category. Without Cabaret, it's Les Mis, Hedwig and Violet. If they'd ruled Hedwig and Violet as both being "new" productions, in a category veritably flooded with new musicals (which is really great; After Midnight, Aladdin, Beautiful, Gentleman's Guide, Bullets Over Broadway, If/Then, Big Fish, Bridges of Madison County, Rocky, Soul Doctor, First Date) so many that a bunch weren't even nominated, they're actually better off to be in the Revival category. I can't say that either will win against a huge contender like Les Mis, (though Hedwig might steal it, who knows), but at least the titles are out there and Tony-nominated.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Those are very good points actually that I hadn't thought of.
And yes, like I say, I haven't heard much about Cabaret yet, but it does sound like it's the Donmar transfer all over again right to the existence of Cumming.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Apparently, there's also a general "revival" category for both musicals and straight plays that can be used if there aren't enough revival productions in either category to nominate them separately -- it hasn't been used since the '90s, but can be brought back if the organizers choose to do so. And according to Wiki, the revival awards/nominations can apply to shows that are "regarded as being in the common theatrical repertoire" as well as those that actually have played on Broadway before. (Still not sure how they determine that; maybe in terms of whether performance rights are available through MTI or similar organizations).

In any case, though, Havs makes great points about why this is probably a good thing overall, even though we might think it seems a bit arbitrary.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm pretty sure "in the common theatrical repertoire" is a pretty arbitrary distinction! :D

After all, remember there was a bit of a fuss over Les Mis not getting nommed for best revival last time round because it wasn't different enough :) Seems there's a lot that they make decisions on rather than having hard and fast rules.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I think the "revival should mean just old" thing came up after Fortune's Fool, which is by Ivan Turgenev, ended up with a nomination for best play, up against actual new work. (in fairness, it was a newish translation/adaptation, not one from the mid-nineteenth century, but translation I don't think matters - the piece is the piece, and the translation was more than a couple years old anyway.) It kept getting referenced the following season with La Bohème, which had a number of complexities. A determination finally got made for Assassins in the next season.

I think Cabaret this time is getting considered a rerun, not a revival, and thus not really eligible, though not officially. I think Violet was a stupid decision in historical terms, but I think it's also a natural progression of the way decisions have been made in the wake of Fortune's Fool. And with the way play development in going, I can easily imagine that in 20 years, we'll be seeing the same thing on the play side of things.

Oh, and to return to a previous discussion, I found a black Marius! Thanks to the regionals. Stephen Scott Wormley at Barter Theatre. I think they recycled costumes from 1776, but hey, I found a black Marius. He's currently in the ensemble (and voice of Armand - the saga of the Beauxhommes is staged with shadow puppets) of Once on This Island at Olney Theatre Center in Maryland. (great production - Aisha Jackson as Ti Moune reminds me so much of Amanda Seyfried as Cosette. Similar face shape and she just glows.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 03, 2014 11:31 am

On the subject of awards, I've seen people making up Olivier 2015 nomination predictions already!

And huzzah for finding a Marius of colour. Luckily I haven't seen too much tumblr trolling on the colourblind casting front.

Apparently Matt Rosell from the US tour is joining the Broadway cast? Haven't heard who he is replacing or anything.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

jenprouvaire

Postby jenprouvaire » Thu May 08, 2014 7:47 am

I saw the show on Sunday and Matt Rosell is in the cast and went on as Jean Prouvaire (I think he's the standby - he wasn't in the playbill yet and I didn't get one of those inserts specifically for him, but his name was on the cast list insert along with everyone else).

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 09, 2014 11:39 am

I wonder if he's another swing perhaps? It's normally Max Quinlan who is Prouvaire right? I'm still so bad with the Broadway ensemble!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 10, 2014 1:11 am

Yes, it's Max Quinlan who plays Prouvaire. According to his website, Prouvaire standby is exactly what Rosell is: "Now in April he has joined the Les Miz Tony nominated Broadway cast as a Jean Prouvaire Standby!"

Which is... odd, because why would a chorus part need a standby when you have ample swings to cover it? I wonder if there's something up with Quinlan.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 10, 2014 1:51 am

That really is phenomenally oddly specific. Most curious!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat May 10, 2014 5:09 am

Yeah from what I've heard, the new production of cabaret is near identical to the 1998 production (which is on YouTube if anyone is interested). Though technically Les Mis is a replica production too. Isn't it?
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 10, 2014 5:47 am

The Broadway revival isn't classed as a replica of a previous Broadway production if that's what you mean?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 10, 2014 8:19 am

The current Broadway Revival is very much a new production. Although the production in it's UK/US Tour and Toronto forms has been around for four years now, having never hit Broadway in this particular incarnation, it's considered totally new staging.

Return to “Les Misérables”