Introducing a friend to LM

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Prisoner 24653

Re: Introducing a friend to LM

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Hehe... very true. And if they're put off by the ticket price, I could always make a deal with them -- "If you don't like it, I'll pay for your ticket." :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Ooooh, that could be interesting. Depends on how honest you think they are when it comes to money :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:57 pm

They're honest to a fault, so no problem there. :lol: I might also see it myself first and make sure the cast/production are up to snuff before inviting others. I'm fairly confident after attending the auditions, but one can never be completely sure before seeing a full performance.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:08 pm

If they don't like it, just guillotine them. They'll never ask for their money back that way!

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:They're honest to a fault, so no problem there. :lol: I might also see it myself first and make sure the cast/production are up to snuff before inviting others. I'm fairly confident after attending the auditions, but one can never be completely sure before seeing a full performance.

That's a good idea! And an excuse to see it twice :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:23 am

Acaila wrote:Well, you do get musical fans who hate the movie. And even as someone who likes the movie generally, there are negatives about it that are not universal to Les Mis, so while it would probably work for a lot of people, it's not a guarantee.

I wouldn't use it to introduce the show to people because it's so terribly shot. I wouldn't want to inflict cinematography like that on anyone.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:28 am

Flynn wrote:
Acaila wrote:Well, you do get musical fans who hate the movie. And even as someone who likes the movie generally, there are negatives about it that are not universal to Les Mis, so while it would probably work for a lot of people, it's not a guarantee.

I wouldn't use it to introduce the show to people because it's so terribly shot. I wouldn't want to inflict cinematography like that on anyone.

Basically why I said if you yourself like the movie, then by all means show it to your friends! Because if you like it, probably you'll want your friends to like it, and then you can like it together!

If you don't like the movie - like me! - then maybe not use that as your gateway Miz drug.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

I had this issue with a friend. The solution I've come to is to wait till next year and see the 25th Anniversary Production. It's not as good as seeing it live in its original capacity, but it's still the best option.

I'd considered showing him the movie, but he knows a lot when it comes to film, and I doubt he'd care much for its (in my opinion, pretty unimpressive, at times inexplicably bad) cinematography. I wouldn't want his first experience with those wonderful songs to be in the form of Jackman's ridiculous vibrato and Crowe's nasal lullaby singing either.

The other option would be to show him the movie and then the TAC, so he can get an idea of what a GOOD performance of the show sounds like.

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:06 am

I'm really, really sorry for reviving an old topic. Was about to start a new one but after a search this popped up. So, a friend told me that she just discovered the amazing thing that is musical theater and really wanted to explore more about it. She started off from French musicals as she was actually learning that language and has watched a considerable amount of them (by newbie standards), but she has never seen anything of Les Mis besides the movie. I've thought about showing her OFC or PRC since she's learning French, but I guess she might find it boring just listening to a recording. TAC might be a good choice as that was what I watched after the movie, but it doesn't have the actual acting that I want her to see (she seems to be rather fond of the pop-ish style of French musicals so I want to show her there's more than that). What troubles me most is that she doesn't want to watch bootlegs but Les Mis has no proshot video besides the two concerts, at least not in English. So what should I show her as her first exposure to stage-Les Mis?
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 am

I'd show her one of the amazing, well-shot 3NT boots and say "it's not a bootleg." But that's the kind of person I am. ;)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:08 pm

3NT is a really good suggestion actually. One of the ones from just before it finished.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:16 am

Acaila wrote:3NT is a really good suggestion actually. One of the ones from just before it finished.

Been here three months, I'm still a newbie--evidently. What's 3NT and where can I find it? I don't mind searching but need to know what to look for.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 am

Third National Tour (US). Ran for ages and ages. There's a video from Indianapolis that is really good.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks Acaila! I was about to ask the same thing lol. Thought you were talking about the revival yesterday. I would never allow anyone to pick that as their first bootleg, having done so myself. :roll:

Acaila wrote:Third National Tour (US). Ran for ages and ages. There's a video from Indianapolis that is really good.

Was going through my videos and found one with Keith as Valjean. Don't actually remember anything from it. Is it the one you're referring to by any chance?
Oh... there's also an audio of Clayton and Varela. I'm not going to show her any audio but just curious if this one is from “3NT”. I think the two boots are all I have of the casts between two revivals...
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Clayton and Varela were from the "25th Anniversary" Tour, but sometimes we call it the 4NT as in Fourth National Tour, because technically that's what it is. (The 3NT closed in 2006 just before the 1st Broadway Revival, and the "4NT" ran from the tail end of 2010 until 2013 when it ended and they purloined all the props and costumes for the Toronto production and then the 2nd Broadway Revival.)

The video I'm thinking of is the 3NT in Los Angeles (July 2nd, 2000) with Ivan Rutherford (JVJ), Stephen Bishop (Javert), Joan Almedilla (Fantine), Tim Howar (Marius), Regan Thiel (Cosette), Sutton Foster (Éponine), Kevin Earley (Enjolras), JP Dougherty (Thenardier), Aymee Garcia (Mme Thenardier), Stephanie Mieko Cohen (Young Cosette), Christopher Carlson (Gavroche), Trent Blanton (Grantaire), Ben Davis (Feuilly)

I think the whole thing ended up on Youtube at some point, but I can't seem to find the link.
Last edited by deHavilland on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Les Misérables”