John Stuart Mill on June 1832 and the July Monarchy

Any research done in relation to the period of Les Misérables, whether for fanfiction or fanart purposes or otherwise.
between4walls

John Stuart Mill on June 1832 and the July Monarchy

Postby between4walls » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm

A few months after the July Revolution, John Stuart Mill, the famous utilitarian philosopher (and later Liberal MP) started writing a column on French news and politics for the Examiner. His complete works are up at the Online Library of Liberty (with these articles appearing as "French News" inThe Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, Volume XXII - Newspaper Writings December 1822 - July 1831 Part 1and Volume XXIII - Newspaper Writings August 1831 - October 1834 Part II).

I found his reactions to the June 1832 uprising and its supression:
June 10th
June 17th
June 24
July 8

The many articles on French News not dealing with this event give a lot of information, among other subjects, on censorship of the press at the time - who was fined what, what opinions were okay and what was over the line, how often one paper had been charged, etc.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

LauraLeZunzu

Re: John Stuart Mill on June 1832 and the July Monarchy

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh it seems interesting, I'll check them out! I'm looking for knowing more about HIstory, and reading articles of their time should be a right way.

between4walls

Re: John Stuart Mill on June 1832 and the July Monarchy

Postby between4walls » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 am

You should check out Marianne's website, then- she has a lot of historical information and some articles from that time, too.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

Return to “Nerdy Fannish Research”