Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Aurelia Combeferre

Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:15 am

Just as it is. If you were given an unlimited budget to make a movie/miniseries of Les Misérables, what would you do? What scenes would you put in? Would you cut any scenes? Any ideas?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Great thread! Well, I doubt I would cut out too much. I would try to resist the fangirlish temptation to have it almost completely about Les Amis. I would definitely put in slashy undercurrents between Grantaire and Enjolras, though.

I would try to make Marius cooler, and less of a dolt, while steering clear of Marjolras territory. I would make sure to pick very charismatic actors for Cosette, Marius and Enjolras. The first two need a little boost in popularity in this fandom.

Hmmm... I would make sure Éponine is wretched and tragic enough to be recognisable as an adaptation of book!Éponine. I'd want to stay away from Eppie-Sue. I would also throw in a few Éponine/Enjolras hints. Just because it would make me happy.

I would also make sure to end it properly. As in with Valjean dying. I watched the 1998 movie recently and I'm sulking about the ending. I mean, really! Did anyone here actually think that was a good ending?

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 pm

One thing that I would do is have the second to last scene be about Marius and Cosette with Valjean, and their last conversation, but ending it before he actually snuffs it, and then have the final shot be of the grave, just as Hugo ended the book.

Agreed with the charismatic actors, not agreed with not making Marius a dolt, and I totally would never put in any Enjolras/Éponine, not even vague hints, because it's not alluded to in the book; they don't even meet. But hell yes to the Enjolras/Grantaire subtext. Hugo practically wrote that in.

Javert would also totally be a snarky ass, and the actor would be dark-skinned. Gypsy, dammit.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Hmmm...

I'd do a lot of exposition about Fantine. And Javert would be a little cool too. And yes, Valjean would be dead in the end of my version. To hell with the 1998 ending!

Éponine will not be pretty, I'll make sure of that. And her voice....let's just say you wouldn't want to hear it much. And Marius will be more of the adorable thinker sort.

As for Les Amis...I'd put a hint of Enjolras/Grantaire. Just ONE hint. As much as I love Enjolras/Éponine in other situations, the most they'll get is just being in the same barricade. That's all, really. And yes, I'd put Joly/Musichetta/Bossuet. Somehow, it just has to fit in.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Arduenna

Postby Arduenna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:59 pm

I meant very very subtle hints of Éponine/Enjolras. Things that you would have to look very closely for. I know anything blatant would be out of place and upsetting for canon purists. :)
Last edited by Arduenna on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Ooh I get what you mean....random glances...chance encounter....(dashes off to write fic about it)

One scene I'd love to see on film is the Gorbeau robbery!

artificial-sprite

Postby artificial-sprite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:47 pm

I second filming the Gorbeau robbery. Éponine/Montparnasse needs to be more implied too--I'll make her look suggestively dishevelled after the part where he goes off with her before she gets arrested. And Fantine would be played by someone who's really in her early-to-mid-twenties.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 am

Mmhmm, those sound nice. If I could expand on scenes, I'd expand on:

-Valjean and Cosette living on the Rue Plumet
-Marius in Gorbeau House
-Les Amis in the back room of the Musain (especially that one in which Enjolras goes "Citizen, my mother is the Republic).
-Fantine and Tholomyes
-Gavroche and his brothers

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:48 pm

I'd make a trilogy to fit in all the important stuff. First part would be from Toulon to Montreuil, second would start with Valjean bolting from Brest and go 'til the time of the revolution drawing near, maybe where Valjean and Cosette move away from the Rue Plumet, and the third would be left to deal with the rest.

What I'd insert would be a couple of Toulon flashbacks, so that the audience sees Javert and Valjean actually meeting earlier on. I wouldn't linger on the long Bishop sequence at the beginning, but instead start with Valjean on the road. The importance of the Bishop could be shown by flashbacks throughout the trilogy, where the viewer can see where Valjean is drawing his inspiration from (like the Isildur and Sauron scene in the LotR movies, it gets repeated in every part too).

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:26 pm

A brilliant idea.

I'd love to see some nice dynamics with Marius, Cosette, Valjean, and the Gillenormands.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:02 pm

I can totally picture John Hurt as Gillenormand. Think Ollivander in Harry Potter 1. :)

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:59 pm

One thing I would keep from the 1998 movie and add into my own is having the June 5 action start from Lamarque's funeral.

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:44 pm

I have a million ideas tugging at my brain for attention, but the one I keep going back to is that I'd definitely do the film in black and white, and the colour of only three things will be emphasised: blood, the colour of the skies during the fight in the barricades, and the French flag.
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:49 pm

Me, I'd do the film in all its glorious color, but I think a lot of it would be in some interesting shadow. I'd have fun playing with the lighting at the barricade, or even in the Rue Plumet and Gorbeau House.

It would be fun to shoot some scenes in Paris.

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:29 pm

If I'd do the film in colour, I'd most definitely go for an intense cinematic effect. But then again, with how quickly my mind changes, probably not. I rather liked the play of colours in the movie Hero (the one with Jet Li), what with the symbolism and all. Memoirs of a Geisha cinematography was also good, and it had, as you say, "interesting shadow" as well. :)

But I rather like the idea of a black and white film. That, or a dark sepia tone would also help. It's sort of like skimming through an old book, with the pages yellowing with time... Hmm. Sepia gives a rather... priceless feel, just like Les Misérables itself.

And yes, it would be very lovely to shoot the film where the story happened. It would feel very authentic, and since we're on a limitless budget... I'd most definitely wouldn't mind going through the pains of buying lots and rebuilding the places that were mentioned in the book, but were lost, blah, blah. Yes, rant on Savvy. :roll: :lol:

As for the cast, I'd do the casting myself, and hire people who actually give a damn about being totally canon than just hire Mr-So-and-So because he's been in several films or is hot. Eurgh. I'd choose believable actors, the ones who can actually convince me that they are who they're portraying. I wouldn't mind if they added a bit of their own little quirks to the characters, but not too much that it would dramatically effect the canon-ness of the film. As for Enjolras, however... right. I will shut up now. :shock:
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Return to “Movies”