Costumes!

Share your art with us!
freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Re: Costumes!

Postby freedomlover » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Thank you! :D
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 am

Casually sneaking back in with apologies for being so terribly belated. As in a lot. Like, a whole lot. Like...almost half a year. :oops: Anyway, so, Gervais was reminding me that I never posted these, so well, here's another one, and I promise I'll actually do them all this time. And pardon the fact that the picture's so blurry. Anyway, here we have Jean Valjean's national guard costume. Ignore the random misplaced seams and inaccuracies and all. :wink:

Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:11 am

Yay, more costumes! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The picture isn't too blurry, really.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:20 am

Thanks. :D Details are kind of lost, and the colors are a bit washed-out, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually. :wink: And hopefully I'll get a couple more up, soon.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

That's amazing :shock:
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:15 am

I posted these in the Cafe thread the other day, but figured I should probably bring them over here, too. So, this is, um, my 1830s Cosette dress. :oops: I made it last June, almost a year ago, now, and it was my first real pattern, admittedly, so I know there's lots of things that could be improved. And there's probably a couple strange parts that come from sewing by hand, and it's kind of hard to tell how it lays on the hanger, I know, but, for the most part, I'm rather happy with this one, though I will say it's terribly uncomfortable to try and wear for extended periods of time, and I have no idea how those poor 1800s women did it. :wink:

Anyway, here you are.

Front:

Back:

Close up front:

Close up back:

femtaire

Postby femtaire » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:21 am

:shock: Oh god, love them all! I have no idea what more to say.

Gorgeous.
i will follow you into the dark

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:59 pm

The Cosette dress is absolutely beautiful - its really lovely to think of her in a colour rather than always black with that little white collar! :)
x J x

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:18 am

Thank you so much, Fem and Juliet! :D I really appreciate it, and I'm very glad you like them. And yes, I never cared too much for the black, convent-like dress Cosette's often seen in, so this one was intentionally more reminiscent of her tour costumes from the 25th anniversary production, as well as just early 1830s dresses in general, though I definitely took a few liberties. :wink: But thank you both again!

As of yesterday, I have a sewing machine, now. :mrgreen: And so maybe I can make things without doing it all with a needle and thread, hooray!

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Marius, that is amazing! :D
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I wish more Cosette costumes were like this one, because it is a lovely sweet bit in the book when she starts to become interested in fashion and Valjean doesn't know what to make of it!
x J x

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Oh i told you how i adore the cosette dress, it is absolutely spectacular you talented thing :D
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Marius, may I just say that these are absolutely fantastic and gorgeous items of clothing? Seriously, they're very well made, well done!
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:00 am

Thank you all. All right, finally, at long last, the finished 1830s tailcoat (now with buttonholes!):

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 am

Lordy, how I love this, let me count the ways. The amount of work and attention to detail that you put into this is just amazing, Marius! It looks really well-made - although you're definitely going to have to give us some pictures of it on a person's body! - and I love that you've lined it properly.

And oh man, are those cloth-covered buttons? Unf.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Fan Art”