Magical Realism, G

Share your stories with us!
Acaila

Magical Realism, G

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 am

Hogwarts AU
Set in the 19th century, so no actual direct crossover, just using the universe.
Les Amis (and most everyone else) go to Hogwarts.

Chapter 1 can be found here: http://archiveofourown.org/works/751022

Con crit very much welcomed here or there.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachel

Re: Magical Realism, G

Postby Rachel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:06 am

Acaila, it's awesome. It's so cracky, but it feels so Brick faithful at the same time. I love it. I want more of it. It's awesome! :D

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 am

Thanks Rachel *smishes*
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 am

Now, I've said it on the AO3 page, but in favor of giving you all the kudos and commentary you deserve, here it is again. ;)

I know I said it when you first previewed this for us, but you've truly captured something lovely with the writing style on this. It's halfway between Rowling's charm and Hugo's content and I love it all. (And damn, the parallels you've managed to draw between Marius and Harry with their daddy issues feels like it should have been so obvious for how well you've done it, and yet I never once considered it!) You've done a brilliant job here and I eagerly look forward to the rest of it! :D
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks pet, I was worried about the style at points as it did feel overly self-indulgent and like I was disappearing up my own ass (maybe that's what you need to do for Hugo :lol: ). Then again, perhaps like Hugo, the whole Marius at Gillenormand's thing was only meant to be a paragraph or two of explanation. Famous last words, oy vey!

Now working on Chapter 2 - The Hogwarts Express, wherein we get to meet some of our other little first years :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 am

What a perfect idea, Pontmercy being an Auror killed in a battle! Something is telling me that this story is going to be a blast! Poor Marius, learning that his father had been alived all this tims :cry: Very true to the Brick and I love how you manage to achieve such a thing! Amazing writing, I really can't wait to see how you'll continue this!
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Poor Marius indeed :( It was only meant to be a short divergence and then I went back and read the Brick and had so many Marius feels that it had to be a separate chapter :( Poor ickle fella! Thanks for the comments Ibby!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Juliet24601

Postby Juliet24601 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Acaila, I just came on here and I've got to say I love your chapter! It's really creative with the setting but the dynamics between Marius, his father and his grandfather are so faithful to Les Mis at the same time :) I think quite often Marius' feelings about his father get lost in amongst all the plot twists and turns, but you capture them beautifully in your writing.
x J x

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks Juliet! It's definitely been difficult to find that balance, so I'm really glad it's working for you :)

First page and a bit of chapter 2 is written, so if I get further with it tonight, I'll maybe post the first page again as a preview for you guys :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 pm

A sneak preview of Chapter 2!

Chapter 2

As the train departed from the station, leaving his grandfather behind in a cloud of steam that billowed from the engines, Marius took a deep breath as he refocused his attentions from expressing his disgust with Mr Gillenormand to the business of starting school. He was on his own at last. He had been expending so much of his energy on being as difficult at home as he possibly could, that he had not given as much consideration as he otherwise might have to the fact that he was suddenly on his own amongst a few hundred strangers who were to become his schoolmates. Yes, it would be fantastic to be able to control his magic at last, to be able to weave the spells he saw his grandfather using without a second thought, but the thought of suddenly being surrounded by nothing but unfamiliar faces was a nervous one for the young boy who had grown up largely within the Gillenormand family home and around those who had known him from babyhood.

Still, Marius was not going to be able to stand here in the corridor of the train for the whole journey of course, so he had better go and find a place to sit and get to know some of his fellow students. A prospect that filled him with no small amount of trepidation. He had not interacted socially with many other children before, with the notable exception of his older cousin Theodule. Theodule’s mother – Marius’ aunt – as well as Mr Gillenormand, thought the boy was wonderful. Marius privately thought he was an insufferable idiot. He would be at Hogwarts too, a fact Marius could hardly forget when last summer’s major news had been the seemingly never-ending celebrations sparked by Theodule winning a place on his house quidditch team. Not to mention his cousin’s smugness upon receiving a new broom and lots of gifts in his house colours of black and yellow.

Theodule was going into his fourth year at school and Marius hoped that their paths would not cross often. They wouldn’t have classes together at least, but hopefully they would also be in different houses. Marius understood that students spent most of their free time in the house they were assigned to based on their personalities. He couldn’t imagine anything worse than being in a house full of people like Theodule. That is, unless it was the horrid realisation that being placed there meant he had been judged as having a personality that resembled Theodule. Better to avoid him as far as possible, Marius resolved. And that, in the first instance, meant finding others with whom to pass the journey to school.

He began to move along the corridor of the magical steam train, trying to glance into carriages and assess their occupants as he went without looking as though he were obviously peering. Better not to seem strange or impolite before he’d even started school. As he went, he passed by groups of older students, laughing and joking as they were reunited after the long summer holidays, all seeming perfectly at home in this situation, unlike him. Rather than setting him at ease, seeing so many people appearing to be quite at home in the situation only made Marius more fearful that he would never be able to be so comfortable around these strangers. Eventually, he came to a carriage with only two other boys inside, both of whom looked to be around his age. The fair-haired half of the duo was lightly drumming his fingers on the window ledge, gazing out of the glass as they pulled out of the station. The other was a thoughtful looking boy with chestnut hair and round glasses, who seemed to be emptying the contents of his bag out, pulling out what looked like sandwiches and several books in an attempt to find something at the bottom of the pile. They didn’t appear overly terrifying and so, summoning his resolve, Marius slid open the carriage door. “Excuse me, would you mind if I….?” he trailed off, feeling suddenly shy under the stare of the blonde boy who turned his attention from the window to the new arrival.

“Of course, come and sit down” the boy with glasses replied, moving some of his books from the seat to make a place for the new arrival to sit down. “Another first year?”

“Yes. I’m Marius. Marius Pontmercy”, giving his surname a proud bit of emphasis. It didn’t seem to elicit any reaction. Perhaps these boys were not as knowledgeable of current affairs to have heard of his father and be impressed at the name.

As always, concrit very very gratefully received :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Wonderful, as ever! I squeed a little bit when - I assume? - Combeferre said he could join them. And Enjolras. Ah, yes, worth keeping the Hogwarts Express for that alone. ;)

I love the way you've incorporated Marius' family into this!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Squee!
I love it!!
Mini-Marius... too much cuteness.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Hehe, yes that's Ferre. More coming soon, but I decided to pause it there, even if it's not the cliffiest of hangers :D

Glad you like the Gillenormand/Pontmercy bit. I read part of the Brick again just to remember how Marius found out about his dad and then it all forced itself into the fic somehow!

Thanks Rachelle! I'm having so very many feels about little Marius ever since I started this!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

IBelieveInYou

Postby IBelieveInYou » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43 pm

You horrible little tease Cailers! Sneak peaks are horrible, evil things! Oh God you make me happy, do you know that? It's like a new Harry Potter book is out because this is sooo well written, so you can imagine my excitement that it involves Pontmercy as well! I had always disliked Theodule, Hugo knew how to create disgusting characters. It's great how you manage to combine both fandoms and I wish I had your skills only for a day. CONTINUE, it's a demand :twisted:
Then I saw their trembling features warp and, gradually,
Their foreheads turn pale and dissolve in front of me,
And everyone, like a stream that flows into a sea,
Became completely lost in a dark immensity.

Victor Hugo, The Slope of Reverie

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 pm

He was on his own

Pretending he's beside him...

Sorry! I'm lame.

I did very much enjoy the preview, and may or may not have squealed at that.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Return to “Fan Fiction”