Question about 1957 version..

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Inspector Karamazov

Question about 1957 version..

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Or is it '58? I don't know. Anyway, the awesome one with Jean Gabin as JVJ and Bernard Blier as Javert. This the only adaption I've seen all the way through, and I like it quite a lot (because it's mostly accurate to the Brick. And Montparnasse is recognizable. Which makes me happy)

The thing is, the only version I can find is dubbed. And, sadly, the DVD I've got ('got' meaning 'stolen from a friend') doesn't even have a French language track. Is it possible to find a French version of this movie? (English subititles are perferred, but I'll be able to follow even without them.)

It doesn't seem like it, sadly...
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

Frédérique

Re: Question about 1957 version..

Postby Frédérique » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:24 pm

The Chinese (double-)DVD does come with a French language track, though no English subtitles. There are copies around on ebay for about ten dollars all the time - just search for 'Les Misérables 1958'. The quality of the picture alone is worth it - much clearer than in the rip of the Chinese dub that used to be (or possibly still is) on YouTube, and with such rich colours (the garden at Rue Plumet is a sight to behold). This is what it looks and sounds like (perhaps there is more than the excerpts this user has online somewhere, too, if you can't get the DVD - at any rate, a French language version is in existence :)).

Inspector Karamazov

Postby Inspector Karamazov » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Frédérique wrote:The Chinese (double-)DVD does come with a French language track, though no English subtitles. There are copies around on ebay for about ten dollars all the time - just search for 'Les Misérables 1958'. The quality of the picture alone is worth it - much clearer than in the rip of the Chinese dub that used to be (or possibly still is) on YouTube, and with such rich colours (the garden at Rue Plumet is a sight to behold). This is what it looks and sounds like (perhaps there is more than the excerpts this user has online somewhere, too, if you can't get the DVD - at any rate, a French language version is in existence :)).

Alas, youtube is blocked on my computer. :(

The question is, will this play on an American DVD player? (I may try and get my dad to bid on it for me....)

Thanks for the info. This makes me happy.
"Where should the shout of love begin, if not from the summit of sacrifice?"

Frédérique

Postby Frédérique » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Are your player and TV PAL-compatible? If yes, it will play - it has no regional coding. If no ... there is probably a way to get it to play nonetheless which someone with more know-how can hopefully tell you about.

Elwen Rhiannon

Postby Elwen Rhiannon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Speaking about this movie - I have French version, does anyone have English subtitles? I know French, but not that good :roll:
"Believe in the future. Combeferre does."

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm

No, no Englsih subtitles. There might the English dub on youtube, but you're better off without it, it's so terrible.

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:22 am

It was shown on TV in the UK with subtitles, a number of years ago. I have a home-recording of it, if you are interested (although the Chinese ed has better picture quality, but no English subtitles).
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 am

Look-wise it seems Hooper and his team went back to the 58 version for inspiration...compare:

http://brightcove04.o.brightcove.com/37 ... 7795279001

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/wennpi ... les-03.jpg

Oh btw, Serge Reggiani who played Enjolras in the 58 film was in the French résistance in WW2. Kinda cool to know. Another reason more why I love that version the most.

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/m/i/ ... 7-08-g.jpg

http://images3.cinema.de/imedia/1276/22 ... q0DA==.jpg
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am

@Inspector Karamazov: If you get a DVD that doesn't run on your DVD player because of the regional code, watch it on your computer. They are usually less picky. You can connect a TV to the computer via VGA (same cable you use to connect the monitor) and then there shouldn't even be a big difference between using the PC and using the DVD player.
The other possibility is to rip the DVD (this is my personal favourite program for that: http://www.chip.de/downloads/DVD-Shrink_13008206.html ) and make a region-code free copy, which is what I usually do when I get a US import of a movie.

Hm, I've heard so many terrible things about the English dub; I'm close to suggesting to make subtitles for this movie as the follow-up project after the French lyrics transcriptions...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 pm

I just saw a (the?) 1957 I think version on YouTube. All the actors were French, but it was in English. Dubbed? With English subtitles too which were mostly accurate although there were a few mistakes. The credits were in English, which confuses me. The subtitle project was done by the US Department of Education for some reason. Why English subtitles for English dialogue is a mystery.

This movie was very complete and close to the book, down to bits of dialogue, with some inaccuracies like Marius actually blowing up the powder barrel, throwing it like a bomb. However, all the Amis looked about 35 years old. Also, Jean coming out of the sewer with Marius still had perfectly combed hair. But maybe this is a different movie than the one that was discussed here. At any rate it was in a completely different league from the American 1935 and 1952 travesties.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Texchanchan wrote:I just saw a (the?) 1957 I think version on YouTube. All the actors were French, but it was in English. Dubbed? With English subtitles too which were mostly accurate although there were a few mistakes. The credits were in English, which confuses me. The subtitle project was done by the US Department of Education for some reason. Why English subtitles for English dialogue is a mystery.

This movie was very complete and close to the book, down to bits of dialogue, with some inaccuracies like Marius actually blowing up the powder barrel, throwing it like a bomb. However, all the Amis looked about 35 years old. Also, Jean coming out of the sewer with Marius still had perfectly combed hair. But maybe this is a different movie than the one that was discussed here. At any rate it was in a completely different league from the American 1935 and 1952 travesties.

Well the original was French with English subtitles and I believe this version was then dubbed by the Walter Reade Organisation.

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:34 pm

HumanRacer please respond on your thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2884

Return to “Movies”