Musical Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.

Should there be one?

Dear heaven, YES!
41%
Maybe, if it's done right.
52%
Supreme Being spare us, NO!
8%

Total votes: 145

Acaila

Re: Musical Movie?

Postby Acaila » Mon May 27, 2013 6:33 am

Work Song for the first song for me a la the OLC.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:11 am

One year to the day I woke up in excitement as this was finally going to be the day when I would see the movie I've been waiting for 15 years in general and 2 years specific. I've never soaked up any information, every snippet, set photo and preview that came out like that before. I've never driven to another country just to be able to watch a movie as early as possible. What a great day. And to meet up with someone who was as crazy as me was just the topping. :) The memories...anyways, as much as it is flawed, I love this movie. It can be bettered, it needs the extended cut. And with the load of money it made (what a success) it deserves to be spend the few millions on to produce the "fan" version. However, it HAPPENED. A musical movie of Les Mis EXISTS. And for that, I'm forever grateful.

To mark this, I must say I was never too fond of the Rue de la Chanvrerie set. I would have preferred a more book-like version. Until yesterday when I came across this:

The set: http://aarontveit.net/photos/albums/fil ... LL-009.jpg

And an actual photo of the Rue de la Grande et Petite Truanderie, which is just a block away from the actual site du barricade: http://chanvrerie.net/paris/marville-le ... ruanderie/

Cool!
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Wow, that is actually eerie :shock:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

OliverSchwarz

Postby OliverSchwarz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Here's a link to a lithography by Jean-Jaques Champin which shows the same junction: http://pmcdn.priceminister.com/photo/899808480.jpg

The junction rue de la grande and de la petite Truanderie has its own interesting story: The lithography depicts the Au Puit D'Amour which stands at the small square formerly known as the Place du Puits d'Amour or Square of the Well of Love. An older name is Carrefour de l'Ariane or Crossroads of Ariane.

Lovers used to meet there, dance and swear everlasting love.

You can read about its history here http://books.google.de/books?id=KEEMEQ1EdpQC&pg=PA328&lpg=PA328#v=onepage&q&f=false and here http://www.parisfierte.com/2012/09/le-fantome-dagnes-hellebic/

The latter also mentions the political agitator François-Noël Babeuf who was arrested in the rue de la grand Truanderie. See http://books.google.de/books?id=5dmrAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA268#v=onepage&q&f=false or http://archive.org/stream/lastepisodeoffre00baxeuoft/lastepisodeoffre00baxeuoft_djvu.txt

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Herzlich willkommen! :) Nice findings you posted, really enjoy the first image and how it differs to the 1860s photograph.
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:21 pm

I think this wasn't posted here before, some more information about the visual effects of the movie: http://www.artofvfx.com/?p=3288

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Beautiful concept art: http://www.karlsimon.com/gallery/movie_ ... bles.shtml

Great, the storyboard for the final confrontation between Valjean and Javert looks better than the actual movie...

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Oh, I love those. :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing them.
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Great, the storyboard for the final confrontation between Valjean and Javert looks better than the actual movie...

The lack of sewage probably helps, to be honest. And a rounder-faced Javert with some form of sideburns that actually looks more like he came from the book (even if he does have a small beard/goatee/non-burn facial hair).
Last edited by Gervais on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 pm

More deleted scenes, this time with gifs: http://sarah531.tumblr.com/post/7662814 ... masterpost

And a great collection of promo photos: http://sarah531.tumblr.com/tagged/les-mis-promos

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:16 pm

I recently found my copy, which mysteriously went missing shortly after I got it then just-as-mysteriously reappeared, and watched it. I think it's far and away the best of the three recent "big musical" movies, and based on the other two (Phantom and Sweeney) I've decided there are two things I'm eternally grateful that Hooper did:

First off, love triangle-wise, the movie was definitely pro-Cosette. theatre is a medium not told only through dialogue, and the power of stage direction is a strong one. The right stage direction can have the audience reacting in many different ways, for instance, feeling more sympathetic toward a character than was originally intended by the writers, which I'm told has been done with Éponine in productions of LM, though I've never seen one. When the movie came out I was worried it would do the same, mostly due to Phantom's romanticized use of Erik. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Seyfried was an excellent Cosette, and she and her relationship with Marius seemed much more likable and fleshed out than the stage version, even though it's the same material. And while Barks is still probably too pretty to be Brick!Éponine, she managed, I think, to get across some of the unhealthy aspects of her character. The subplot about her trying to sabotage Marius and Cosette's relationship returned, though abridged, from the book, and Barks was also given a few creepy grIns and stares that make you think she's not entirely... there. I wonder if they'd have still done this if Swift were cast, though.

Second, and more important to me, Hooper kept the ensemble numbers. Them being cut annoyed me phenomenally in Sweeney, which I regard as the weakest of the three movies (even though most say that's Phantom). I don't like judging adaptations by faithfulness to the source material, but I suspect that would've bugged me even if I wasn't a fan of the show. There were stretches that just felt... empty, like there should be singing, but there wasn't. I was scared when "Look Down" began with only Jackman singing, and was incredibly relieved when the other prisoners joined in after the first line. Because, seriously, cutting the ensemble numbers would turn the film into a hack-job. "At the End of the Day" and "Lovely Ladies" would have to be almost entirely cut or rewritten, for example.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:28 am

It would get rid of a point of a lot of the story if they did. I like that post on on tumblr that talks about how it's "Les Misérables" not "Un Miserable".
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Great points, Majestic. Personally, I feel that POTO was the worst of those "big 3" musical films because of its OOC portrayals of the main characters and its apathy or borderline contempt for the novel, the stage show, and French history. But I can see where you're coming from re: Sweeney, as well. I enjoyed the film when I first saw it (and still kinda do), but that's mainly because of the things I adored in the original show that the film didn't mess with too badly. The cutting of ensemble numbers bothered me quite a bit, though -- I could sort of understand Burton's rationale for nixing the "Ballad" sequences (though I missed those most of all), but cutting the ensemble's lines in "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir" and "God, That's Good" struck me as really unnecessary, especially since that resulted in the latter song not having its title come up at all.

What worried me after that was some of the fan reaction. On a few musical boards I frequented, there was some chatter about how ensemble numbers were now "obsolete" in musical films, and future projects could cut all such numbers because of how well these fans thought it worked in Sweeney. I'm thankful that subsequent musical films didn't follow that precedent, especially LM -- I don't even want to think about what the film would have been like if the creators had done that.

Getting back to LM, though... I did have one issue with the way the ensemble was used. In some of the scenes with Les Amis, they come across to me as a homogeneous mass rather than a group of characters with distinct personalities. I think this is at least partially because so much stuff with them was cut, and also because they sing DYHTPS and other bits as one unified group rather than individual members getting their solo sections like in the stage show. The cinematography didn't really help there, either -- die-hard fans like us who know the Brick really well and can identify individual Amis in the stage show had no problem, but those who haven't read it recently (or at all) likely wouldn't notice the boys' mannerisms and character-appropriate attire, and also wouldn't have any clue why (for example) the camera was focusing so much on this seemingly random, unnamed woman helping the Amis prepare in "One Day More." I myself confused Courfeyrac and Grantaire, and found myself wondering why 'Fey was coming into the Café at the end of the battle (especially when I was sure that I had just seen him die shortly before). It wasn't until he stood next to E that I realized he was R. :oops:

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:03 am

I kinda feel like that's a bit like what Les Amis can come across like in the book and show too, though? Because even though they do have their own personalities and backstories and such, it's easy for someone who hasn't read the book before, or even read the book a couple of times, to categorize them all together except for the leaders and maybe R. Because I've read the book a few times, and couldn't keep them all apart, save for knowing the three in charge, Grantaire's death, and that Bossuet kept Marius in school, until I found the Amis-obsessing part of the fandom; before that point, they were still individuals, but their group and common cause was more important than the details of their personalities and such. Maybe that's just me though.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 am

That's a good point. Plus, that's likely how Enjolras would want his group remembered -- not for their individual personalities and quirks, but for what the group stood for.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 pm

Another person I'm grateful to movie-wise, mostly for her effect on the fandom: Amanda Seyfried. The amount of Cosette-hate dropped off enormously after the movie, and the popularity of Marius/Cosette increased dramatically (going by the tags at AO3, it's now five times as popular as Marius/Éponine), and I for one attribute that to Seyfried playing such a likable, fleshed-out, and danged-near impossible-to-hate interpretation of Cosette. Cosette is often said to be a role it's hard to bring depth to, so mad props, Ms. Seyfried.

Though, again, I do wonder, if Swift had won the part of Éponine, would we have gotten such an awesome Cosette?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Return to “Movies”