Musical Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.

Should there be one?

Dear heaven, YES!
41%
Maybe, if it's done right.
52%
Supreme Being spare us, NO!
7%

Total votes: 147

Mamselle Miss

Musical Movie?

Postby Mamselle Miss » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:46 am

There's been rumors and speculation for such a thing for years now. So what do you guys think?
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.
-Oscar Wilde

Mademoiselle Lanoire

Postby Mademoiselle Lanoire » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:56 am

I'm in the "maybe" camp. I think about what a musical movie would look like from time to time, and come up empty. It doesn't seem like it would easily transfer to cinema... but I could be wrong, and someone with more imagination than I could conceivably make it work.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:57 am

I've had a few random and vague ideas about what certain scenes of the show would look like on the big screen rather than on stage, but I'm not so sure the whole show would work. So I'm in the maybe-but-likely-not camp. :lol:
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:45 am

If they did it well and cast unknowns I might be game, but they'd never cast unknowns.

I object to a movie on not only artistic grounds, but due to the threat of the fandom being invaded by hordes of idiot fangirls. (See: Sweeney Todd; Phantom of the Opera probably isn't a very good example because it's been full of idiot fangirls from its very inception.)
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 am

I agree with Marianne, they should cast talented unknowns, and maybe a few veteran actors/actresses if they're good singers. But isn't the fandom already full of Eppiboppers? A few more probably wouldn't make a difference. In fact, it might give the fandom a bit of a kick.

I've had a few random and vague ideas about what certain scenes of the show would look like on the big screen rather than on stage

Ooh, I've done that too. :) In fact, I think I still have it saved somewhere . . .
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:00 am

Oh, yes! But only when they do it with professional singers. I don't want to hear Johnny Depp *ever* sing again. Nor Gerald "ThisIsSpartaaaaaaa" Butler.

Charlette-Ollie

Postby Charlette-Ollie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Phantom was tossed around for years until it got off the ground, so I can definitely see Les Mis happening in the future. There's definitely some wishful thinking here that it'll be at a time when I'm a successful performer in America XD

I'm probably completely different to other musical fans in that I really liked the movie adaptations of Sweeney Todd and Phantom. The difficulty with Les Mis is, I think, that it is more complex than other musicals and to cut it to movie-size would take even more time from characterisation and expanding the plotlines. No matter where they place the focus, a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

At this moment, though, there is nobody who strikes me as being suited to directing/acting in Les Mis if it were to be taken to the big screen.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:00 pm

I would LOVE to see a movie of it. Honestly, I don't care whether the cast is good or not-- I loved the "Sweeney Todd" with Johnny Depp even though almost no one could sing. I feel a movie's more about the visual experience, and a play's more about the audio experience. Still, I think they should have a lot of "musical theatre" performers and a FEW celebrities playing roles-- for example, a celebrity should NEVER play Enjolras because that's a really vocally demanding part (unless he's a celebrity who happens to be an impossibly good singer, too) but Marius could probably be a celebrity. Thenardier could be a celebrity, too.

The thing is, I would just love to see the musical transferred to real sets. To have people actually joining up and marching down the streets in "One Day More," or to actually have a real barricade scene, or to see Javert's Suicide... That's why I feel like a movie would be such an amazing thing. With "Sweeney Todd," there was never much emphasis on the different sets-- Sweeney was usually in his barbershop, Lovett in her bakery, and so on-- but Les Misérables is a show with so many sets, and I think it would look amazing and stunning on film.

If they make a Les Misérables musical film, though, they should have some of the original leads in cameo roles-- Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop, or Michael Ball as the "You at the barricades listen to this!" guy, etc. I think that would be awesome.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

Mamselle Miss

Postby Mamselle Miss » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm with MmeJavert on this one. On the one hand, I would love to see it happen. But I'm afraid that they would screw it up royally and get all the fans mad at them. And do we really need a bunch more Éponine fangirls around? No. All in all, I just don't see it happening.

Although, that hasn't stopped me from directing it in my own head. :wink:
Laughter is not all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one.

-Oscar Wilde

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've "directed" a film version of "One Day More" in my head. Sometimes, I imagine the whole film done in Disney animation, with the TAC recording as the audio, and as many of the actors from the TAC as possible performing the bits that aren't on the TAC... they would never do that, but it would be AMAZING.

As for Éponine fan girls, I see the whole "Marius should've gone with Éponine" camp as pretty much the same as "Christine should've stayed with the Phantom" shippers-- they're the majority, they're easy to ignore, and they haven't read the book. I feel like Éponine and/or The Phantom would be a lot less popular if they weren't always presented so attractively-- or, more accurately, if Raoul and Cosette weren't always presented so unattractively. I wish Raoul wasn't always so pouncy and foppish and Cosette wasn't always so nun-looking and annoying-voiced.

If the film cast a very pretty Cosette with an extremely good voice and an actual personality, she might be more popular. And if Éponine really did look more like the Beggar Woman from Sweeney Todd, with dirt on her and missing teeth and matted hair and blemishes and everything, preteen girls would probably less inclined to want to be her. But seeing as the musical's written to make you sympathise with Éponine as much as possible, I doubt they'd do that.

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Who cares the Eppiboppers? They won't come here. :twisted: Or we'll thwow them to the floow.

Oh, I want this movie. Americans mustn't have a hand in it.

And we should go and beg Philip for to do it once again, only in the movie. I'd die to see him die on-screen.
It's so bad he doesn't want it. His voice is still awesome and he's in the perfect age.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh, I want this movie. Americans mustn't have a hand in it.

:( *Is American*

What, you can't think of a single good thing about America? I can. Better, yet, I can think of a good thing about America that ISN'T Terrence Mann-- Ben & Jerry's ice cream.

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 pm

What, you can't think of a single good thing about America?

Hair, for one thing. Musical and the movie version. Surely that must make us cool!
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:47 pm

And Hairspray. Say what you will, but I love that musical.

And we have Disney! And Elvis Presley! And Michael Phelps!

*Suddenly feels VERY patriotic*

Viorica

Postby Viorica » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:54 am

Thenardier could be a celebrity, too.

Who else thinks that Timothy Spall could make a great Thernadier? He probably wouldn't take it after doing the Beadle, but it would be great if he did.

And how awesome would it be to get someone who played Éponine doing the book version? All the Eppiboppers would come out complaining that they'd "ruined" her, and we'd be all. "Heh heh heh."
"She wanted equally to die and move to Paris"- Madame Bovary

Sherwood Forest- The Original Series

Return to “Movies”