What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: What was the worst in the movies?

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Sasha Baron Cohen swinging to the "Waltz" music. Yeah great, you got music in your ear but ISN'T THERE ANYONE STOPPING HIM FROM THIS????
Also, Hughs entry into Cosette's bedroom...with all the knowledge of the 2000 miniseries and the fun Amanda and Hugh had on set by doing some...more intimate...versions (I think the term was "sexing it up) his open shirt leaves that weird uncomfortable feeling in my guts.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Sasha Baron Cohen swinging to the "Waltz" music. Yeah great, you got music in your ear but ISN'T THERE ANYONE STOPPING HIM FROM THIS????
Also, Hughs entry into Cosette's bedroom...with all the knowledge of the 2000 miniseries and the fun Amanda and Hugh had on set by doing some...more intimate...versions (I think the term was "sexing it up) his open shirt leaves that weird uncomfortable feeling in my guts.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Also, Hughs entry into Cosette's bedroom...with all the knowledge of the 2000 miniseries and the fun Amanda and Hugh had on set by doing some...more intimate...versions (I think the term was "sexing it up) his open shirt leaves that weird uncomfortable feeling in my guts.

I noticed that, too, though it was less a "worst" and more a "...huh?" to me, along with Gillenormand singing and Javert's back snapping (was Hooper trying to court the Sweeney Todd crowd?). I totally understand the temptation to throw in some Hugh Jackman fanservice, but there's certainly better places for that than a father-daughter bonding scene if I do say so myself.

Didn't know that about Jackman and Seyfried on set, though. That's strange.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:32 pm

I have mixed feelings about the movie, because - don´t shoot me! - I don´t like what they did to music. The whole spared down thing.
Last edited by Rose1836 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:
Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Also, Hughs entry into Cosette's bedroom...with all the knowledge of the 2000 miniseries and the fun Amanda and Hugh had on set by doing some...more intimate...versions (I think the term was "sexing it up) his open shirt leaves that weird uncomfortable feeling in my guts.

I noticed that, too, though it was less a "worst" and more a "...huh?" to me, along with Gillenormand singing and Javert's back snapping (was Hooper trying to court the Sweeney Todd crowd?). I totally understand the temptation to throw in some Hugh Jackman fanservice, but there's certainly better places for that than a father-daughter bonding scene if I do say so myself.

What happened on set? Haven't heard about any of that at all.
The law is unjust.

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Rose1836 wrote:I have mixed feelings about the movie, because - don´t shoot me! - I don´t like what they did to music. The whole spared down thing.

I didn't object, but I didn't like it either. I felt that it was preferable to excising songs in their entirety.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Enjolvert wrote:
Majestic_Picnob wrote:

What happened on set? Haven't heard about any of that at all.

Don't say I didn't warn you: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/amanda_ ... u0PZngJDMK
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Don't say I didn't warn you: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/amanda_ ... u0PZngJDMK

Huh. That's a bit weird, but it's just co-workers having fun, I don't really see an issue with it. It sounds like they were basically acting out crackfic about their own characters.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

The problem is not what they actually did on set, the problem is just my fantasy and bad former movie adaptations dealing with exact that scene. And "Les Gutterables". If only Hugh would have looked older...

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:35 am

I just got back from viewing #2, and I found Valjean and Cosette's interactions much less creepy this time. In fact, their father/daughter relationship was my favorite one in the film.

On the subject of our Mlle. Euphrasie, though, I must bring up another Bad Thing from '35. That is, her relationship with Marius. Let me put it like this: you thought their courtship in the musical was abridged? Whoo boy...

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:Yes, that's the one. Sidekick's name's Robert, he's the foreman of the pottery factory that Valjean ends up buying and of course the one person who realises immediately where Valjean's from... This is also the movie that manages to cut Éponine and the Thénardiers completely. Valjean just shows up with Cosette one day and that's it...

I think the '52 beats out the '35 a bit for worst movie for this reason (completely cutting out the Thenardiers). Not to mention:

-Valjean taking Cosette on a carriage ride and them giggling together and they discuss that Fantine is dying.
-Robert
-Pretty much everyone is horribly cast
-Javert seems to set the trial up

I don't know, it's all so awful

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Oh right, Javert making that "Yes, I knew it"-gesture... I've been wondering for ages how comes nobody on the tea of that movie noticed what that scene implies, namely that Javert is expecting Valjean to give himself up, to do a good thing and by that he has accepted that Valjean has changed/become a good man... So why doesn't he kill himself there and then?

Among other silly things to cite from this movie:
-Valjean and Cosette reciting "Romeo and Juliet"
-The galleys
-The "Your father would not have approved of this"-dialogue (which STILL makes me laugh)
-Marius telling Valjean that he won't get rid of his next rival so easily
-The galleys
-Robert having to tell Javert that Valjean is a good man
-Child and adult Cosette being played by the same actress
-The galleys
-The starving children not actually being related to Valjean
-Valjean moving back and forth between England and France so easily that you could think he has a valid passport
-Have I mentioned the galleys?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

coppertop1

Postby coppertop1 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Wow. . .some of these are real head scratches, do they not get the concept AT ALL

Valjean hitting Cosette? NO!! Especially not since she was abused. Valjean was NOT violent, maybe when he got out of prison but after meeting the Bishop? No.

Javert pointing a gun at Cosette? Why would he go after Cosette? He was after Valjean because he was a cop, not because of a grudge. Way to villainize an honourable characer, movie!

Valjean SMILING as Javert kills himself? Again, NO! He was sad when Javert died, he respected Javert and yes he would stop someone about to committ suicide

"J'aime Cosette" as in I am in love with Cosette, *shudder*

I saw the 1978 version and my main issues are:
The Thenardiers don't show up again after Valjean takes Cosette, I feel this really undermines Javert not being the villain, as he's the only one after Valjean.
Valjean did actually escapes and kills someone. What?
No Éponine
Valjean doesn't die. OK, so it's a happier ending if he lives, but having him die at peace with his life brings it full circle and is much more powerful. The ending just seemed to fizzle

Postby 23623 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 am

Read a few pages of this thread and now I feel...ugh I don't even know how I feel. I wish everything I just read was a joke. :roll:

Sorry this is a completely meaningless post as I don't have any other horror stories to contribute. I haven't seen any Les Mis movie besides the 2012 one. Now I consider myself very lucky to have somehow avoided all of them. But anyway, just want to say that some of these "changes" are simply disastrous. :x
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:25 pm

23623 wrote:Read a few pages of this thread and now I feel...ugh I don't even know how I feel. I wish everything I just read was a joke. :roll:
....Now I consider myself very lucky to have somehow avoided all of them. But anyway, just want to say that some of these "changes" are simply disastrous. :x

I saw all of the 1998 movie (discussed recently in another thread) and parts of, I think, 1935 and 1947 or 8, both American. They were so awful I didn't watch the whole things through. Now I'm kind of afraid to look at any adaptation.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Movies”