What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Never_Seek_to_Tell

Re: What was the worst in the movies?

Postby Never_Seek_to_Tell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Ulkis wrote:<snip>I think the 2000 series is either really good or really bad.<snip>I admire it for trying to be different but I think they messed up too badly regarding the insurrection.

never_seek_to_tell, please tell me you have seen the 1934 version, directed by Raymond Bernard. Everyone must see that one at least once. Not the most faithful adaptation, (although pretty close), but imo, perfect casting.

Ah, the motto of the 2000 miniseries...Dare to be different!
Yes, I've seen the 1934 (seriously, I've seen so many adaptations that it HURTS!) Pretty good, as adaptations go, and the casting was a real treat on many levels.

Potato112

Postby Potato112 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 pm

I think the first time I posted on this thread, I said I hated Virginie Ledoyen's Cosette - I was wrong. She's ADORABLE and looks so perfect for Cosette. They even got the hair color right!! She's perfect. :D

Barricade_Sentry

Postby Barricade_Sentry » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Valjean hitting the Bishop, that was the worst for me. The close second was the absence of Éponine almost entirely from the 1998 version, while not a terrible film, it was shamefully lazy. And don't get me started on Marjolras :x I honestly don't know why they felt like they needed to condense two completely different characters into one character, but Marius was never an agitator in the streets.

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 am

Waiting for fan fiction about Cosjolras (or is it Enjette?)! :lol:

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 am

I have to say that Combeferre, Courfeyrac, and Jehan Prouvaire crying in terror and fleeing for their lives was one of the worst things ever. There is some great, awesome stuff in the new movie, but that piece of direction is just unforgivable. It reduces the revolutionaries to children in over their heads, rather than the brave young men determined to die for what was right.

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 am

ancslove wrote:I have to say that Combeferre, Courfeyrac, and Jehan Prouvaire crying in terror and fleeing for their lives was one of the worst things ever. There is some great, awesome stuff in the new movie, but that piece of direction is just unforgivable. It reduces the revolutionaries to children in over their heads, rather than the brave young men determined to die for what was right.

Ouch.
I have not seen the new movie yet but the clips make me... vary. :?

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:39 am

Having only seen the 1935 and 2012 versions, I have to say that my least favorite thing in a Les Mis movie was Evil Commie Enjolras in the '35 version. I get that everyone was terrified of revolutionaries back then, but in that case, you'd think it'd be easier to, I don't know, NOT make a movie of a book where revolutionaries are portrayed positively?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 am

Evil Commie Enjolras?! :shock: Ouch, that sounds bad (not seen 1935 film).

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 am

Rose1836 wrote:Evil Commie Enjolras?! :shock: Ouch, that sounds bad (not seen 1935 film).

Yeah, the movie came out during the First Red Scare of the 1930s, so the June Rebellion was essentially made into a cipher for the Communism fears of the day. Enjolras is actually the closest thing to a main antagonist the movie has, due to reducing the Thenardiers to cameos and severely wimpifying Javert (played by an utterly miscast Charles Laughton who perpetually looks like he's on the verge of tears, and I say that as a HUGE fan of his). Basically, Marius is the leader (STRIKE ONE!) of a nonviolent protest movement (STRIKE TWO!) which Enjy stages a coup on when Doltboy slips into his lack-of-Cosette-induced funk (STRIKE THREE, YER OUT). Oh, and he's played by John Carradine.

I'm told the '50s version, which is basically a remake, did the same thing, but I've never seen that one.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Not forgetting the fact that the main goal of the "revolutionaries" in the 1935 movie is making living conditions in prison more humane... Strike four?

I just had a quick look through the 1952 movie and the only thing I can find about the political opinions of the Amis (or rather, of Marius) is that the king is a "fat pig". Honestly, that's pretty much it. Later on, Valjean says that Marius is "a known revolutionary" without further comment. The barricades are suddenly up and I have not found a scene in which the reason for the revolt is reasonably explained. Maybe the filmmakers felt French people don't need more reasons than that to start a revolution... There is nobody even credited as Enjolras.

If you have the chance to watch the 1952 movie, do. There are few movies during which you'll laugh more... :twisted:
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

AndrewShatterhand

Postby AndrewShatterhand » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:23 am

The 1935 and 1952 versions are pretty much merged in my mind. I always confuse one for the other.

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 am

AndrewShatterhand wrote:The 1935 and 1952 versions are pretty much merged in my mind. I always confuse one for the other.

I always through they wre equally bad in their mangling of the story.
Even as a grade schooler, having a passing familiarity in the plot of Les Mis, I remember being pretty irked by the changes they made in the 1935 version.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 am

The '52 version is one of those that gives Valjean a random OC sidekick, isn't it? That's a shame, because one thing I DID like about the '35 version was that they used Éponine as his sidekick; I can't explain why, it just clicked for me. If they have to give him one, I wish they'd remember that dynamic, or, heck, his dynamic with Gavroche in the book.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Yes, that's the one. Sidekick's name's Robert, he's the foreman of the pottery factory that Valjean ends up buying and of course the one person who realises immediately where Valjean's from... This is also the movie that manages to cut Éponine and the Thénardiers completely. Valjean just shows up with Cosette one day and that's it...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Majestic_Picnob wrote:The '52 version is one of those that gives Valjean a random OC sidekick, isn't it? That's a shame, because one thing I DID like about the '35 version was that they used Éponine as his sidekick; I can't explain why, it just clicked for me. If they have to give him one, I wish they'd remember that dynamic, or, heck, his dynamic with Gavroche in the book.
Was '35 also the one where Éponine was Marius' secretary and had the Pioneer Town dress and ran the Broken Hearts Club with Valjean?

And as bad as that is, I don't think anything can beat Valjean SMILING as he watches Javert kill himself in '98. :shock: No....just, no. :shock:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Return to “Movies”