What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Meg-Giry

Re: What was the worst in the movies?

Postby Meg-Giry » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am

9430 wrote:Wait, do you mean that you always imagined a romance between Valjean and Fantine? Because that really doesn't fit with anything in the book.

:oops: Yes, I know it is not in the book - but I really did imagin that. Don't ask me where that comes from. Cause I've read the book befor I saw this film. I'd only seen this old catoon serie befor.

Wolf_Of_Mankind

Postby Wolf_Of_Mankind » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:13 am

9430 wrote:
Patria wrote:Among other things, I can't get over how much of a jerk they made Javert in the '98 version. :|

I get the feeling that Geoffrey Rush would have been an amazing Javert if he was actually in a film where the film makers liked the character.

THANK YOU.
It needed to be said. Because there were such spots of light with him and Neelson together (and Neelson is my favorite Movie!Valjean). Like, where he lets Javert go. You can just TELL if the actors had a better script (and possible not August directing, cough) it would have been AMAZING.

Instead, Javert chokes Cosette and Valjean slaps her around.
But that Cosette was so annoying I'm tempted to say she deserved it. :|
"Have courage for the great sorrows in life and patience for the small ones, and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake."
~Victor Hugo

*Lovely icon by Eppie Sue

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 am

For the 1998 film, I thought the beginning was good... but that movie always struck me as completed thus:

Director: WOW! This movie is going great! We're at one hour, and we have almost the entire book represented!
Screenwriter: Er... not really. We still have to introduce Les Amis, old Cosette, Éponine, and pretty much the last 2/3 of the book.
Director: ?@873@@$$#^$ You've got thirty minutes of screen time! Let's finish this baby!

Marjolras... Cosette's quivering chin. No Éponine... And the slap. Oh... and the random Javert threatening Cosette thing?

THINGS I LOVED:

That Azelma was kept in. You can see her for 3.1 seconds.
That Gavroche's babies were kept in! AWW
Marius' skip as the camera fades out after her speaks to Cosette for the first time
Marius' face
Uma Thurman (sorry but I thought she was a good choice. She portrayed both beauty and the fallen-from-grace, desolate thin women)
Geoffrey Rush. It's not his fault the script was bad. He was fantastic.
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

Milky-chan

Postby Milky-chan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:30 pm

Geoffrey Rush still manages to be awesome, despite the bad script. But they tried so hard to make him unsympathetic... it doesn't really work.

I agree on slapping Cosette... terribly OOC but this one deserved it. Stupid hysterical bitch. She was only slightly more bearable in Stardust.

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Haha I agree... I thought she was just annoying in this movie, but then I watched a couple others and her chin quivers in ALL OF THEM.
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

ellysiar

Postby ellysiar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah, she was one of the main things that killed it for me. (Other than some of the just plain stupid changes they made.) Sure, she's pretty and stuff, but she doesn't capture the sweet innocence Cosette has. She was too much of a "rebellious-teenager" for her to be canon in my mind. Or, at least, as much of a 'rebellious teenager' as Cosette can be :wink: And the slap is just...*sigh*

Postby 9430 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm

Milky-chan wrote:I agree on slapping Cosette... terribly OOC but this one deserved it. Stupid hysterical bitch. She was only slightly more bearable in Stardust.

Aww, I liked her as Yvaine. Plus her accent was a lot better, especially compared to Michelle Pfeiffer!
aka Fiwen

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 am

Her version of Romeo and Juliet is on tonight...

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm

On my youtube channel, one of the comments was, "Cherubinette (one of the women who gossips about Fantine) is a slut! She'll go to hell!" I'm not sure English was the poster's first language though, so maybe he didn't realize how stong a sentiment that is.

MizzyFoLife

Postby MizzyFoLife » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:25 am

The 1998 film made me want to punch a baby. Absolutely ridiculous. Hans Matheson is on my hitlist. Marius is not Enjolras, he's Marius. He's not a "radical revolutionary". And all the Valjean/Cosette was cccrrreeeeeepppyyy. And no Éponine?! WTF? I think the director was on crack. Or just really stupid. And don't even get me started on the ending.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 am

And all the Valjean/Cosette was cccrrreeeeeepppyyy.

I didn't like this movie much - as an adaptation - but I didn't see any romantic subtext between Cosette and Valjean.

I liked Hans Matheson in this movie, but strangely enough in everything else I see him in I end up not liking his character.

(Also, welcome to the board!)

Postby 9430 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:29 pm

Did you mean the Valjean/Fantine romance by any chance? Cos I agree with Ulkis.

(Why don't you go and post an intro so we get to know a bit about you?)
aka Fiwen

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 am

Crappy script and crappy direction are not Hans' fault - no one was going to look good with that script, and it paid money.

He's sweet in Doctor Zhivago, which has its own script issues but at least didn't make the main characters completely OOC.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 am

Yeah I thought Hans was cute... the Marjolras wasn't his fault. And let's be honest... lots of people probably haven't read the book, so when he accepted the part I doubt he knew.

MizzyFoLife

Postby MizzyFoLife » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:42 am

I'm sorry, the creepy Valjean/Cosette I was referring to was in the 2000 mini series, not the 98 movie. I actually like Valjean/Fantine and think its really sweet. Yeah, yeah, maybe it wasn't his fault. August pretty much made everything crappy, in my opinion. Except Geoffrey Rush. Geoffrey Rush was an amazing Javert, no doubt! I think Neeson tries a little too hard, personally. He's a good actor, just not in this particular role.

Return to “Movies”