What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Trompe-la-Mort

Re: What was the worst in the movies?

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Yes, right, Éponine the secretary is in the '35 movie... I nearly forgot about that...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Gervais wrote:
Majestic_Picnob wrote:The '52 version is one of those that gives Valjean a random OC sidekick, isn't it? That's a shame, because one thing I DID like about the '35 version was that they used Éponine as his sidekick; I can't explain why, it just clicked for me. If they have to give him one, I wish they'd remember that dynamic, or, heck, his dynamic with Gavroche in the book.
Was '35 also the one where Éponine was Marius' secretary and had the Pioneer Town dress and ran the Broken Hearts Club with Valjean?

And as bad as that is, I don't think anything can beat Valjean SMILING as he watches Javert kill himself in '98. :shock: No....just, no. :shock:

As bad as the 1998 version was, I always had the impression that Valjean was smiling in relief. It was a sort of catharsis brought about by the realization that he was finally free. It was his realization that there was nothing he could actually do to save Javert, so he was freed of his obligations. Still didn't like that scene, though.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

inkrose115 wrote:
Gervais wrote:
Majestic_Picnob wrote:The '52 version is one of those that gives Valjean a random OC sidekick, isn't it? That's a shame, because one thing I DID like about the '35 version was that they used Éponine as his sidekick; I can't explain why, it just clicked for me. If they have to give him one, I wish they'd remember that dynamic, or, heck, his dynamic with Gavroche in the book.
Was '35 also the one where Éponine was Marius' secretary and had the Pioneer Town dress and ran the Broken Hearts Club with Valjean?

And as bad as that is, I don't think anything can beat Valjean SMILING as he watches Javert kill himself in '98. :shock: No....just, no. :shock:

As bad as the 1998 version was, I always had the impression that Valjean was smiling in relief. It was a sort of catharsis brought about by the realization that he was finally free. It was his realization that there was nothing he could actually do to save Javert, so he was freed of his obligations. Still didn't like that scene, though.
It's just...it seems like Valjean would do something if he saw someone attempt suicide, and since the river they use looks like it's about two feet deep and has a current of two miles an hour...*shrug* Actually, now that I think about it, why didn't Javert float in that scene? In the actual Seine it wouldn't work, of course, but since he only fell the length of his body and the river is a wading pool...

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:02 pm

I did understand why Valjean was walking off with a sense of relief....and then I read the Brick. Valjean would definitely jump in to save Javert. Or even rip off those handcuffs right away.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah, I couldn't stand that. I watched the movie in class, which was bad for my poor class. It meant I either burst into laughter or banged my head on the table every thirty seconds. Don't forget Valjean hitting Cosette. And the Bishop. And smacking Javert's head against a wall. Or Javert putting a gun to Cosette's head. And Marjolras the "dangerous radical." Whom Javert bound and gagged as Cosette "broke the law" to untie him. Or the World's Least-Effective Barricade. And then of course, ending the movie with Valjean not trying to save Javert, and then skipping the last 200 pages and ignoring them. I really couldn't take any of it seriously...
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:I did understand why Valjean was walking off with a sense of relief....and then I read the Brick. Valjean would definitely jump in to save Javert. Or even rip off those handcuffs right away.

It would be suitably dramatic. I mean, they already butchered the story, why not throw in DramaticJavertRescue!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

And then what happens after the dramatic Javert rescue?

Yep, Ineffective Barricade Alright. When I first saw it, I was like "Sandbags? Enjolras, COME ON!!"

Then I found out for myself how high the barricade must have been. And how high the barricade of the Fauborg Saint-Antoine was in 1848. If I ever watch the 1998 version again, I will keel over laughing.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:And then what happens after the dramatic Javert rescue?

Then he adopts Javert and they become best friends! :mrgreen: Or not.

I know, I was already lamenting the barricade when they were building it, and then started to say, "Well, at least it'll get bigg-" and then my friend stopped me and said, "No, no. That's....that's it. It's not going to get any bigger." I must say, I was keeled over the entire movie, from either laughing or crying, though. :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm

You know that that hideous 1992 cartoon does exactly that? Valjean dramatically rescues Javert and then Javert goes to America to start his life anew and uses a false name on the ship... none other than Fauchelevent...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Now I think I can go to sleep laughing now about that. Javert does not need to be saddled with such a name, poor man!!

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

My word, did anyone read the book? :shock: I really doubt it, sometimes...Poor Victor Hugo. I have to wonder just how much he was rolling in his grave with every adaptation...

inkrose115

Postby inkrose115 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 pm

YoungStudentMarius wrote:
Aurelia Combeferre wrote:And then what happens after the dramatic Javert rescue?

I know, I was already lamenting the barricade when they were building it, and then started to say, "Well, at least it'll get bigg-" and then my friend stopped me and said, "No, no. That's....that's it. It's not going to get any bigger." I must say, I was keeled over the entire movie, from either laughing or crying, though. :wink:

No, no, no! What follows is a scene where Valjean confronts Javert and acts why he wanted to end his life, followed by much tears and angst (EmoJavert!) and Valjean tries to slap sense into him (ViolentValjean!). Then they reconcile during a montage set to saccharine-sweet, nausea-inducing music. Jean Valjean offers Javert redemption, and Javert sings a song to the tune of "What Have I done". They become best friends forever, with subtle, slashly overtones. And they all live happily ever after!

And then my TV breaks because I have thrown my remote at it in disgust, while I am off worshiping the porcelain goddess. :mrgreen:

I love the tiny barricade, don't knock it. I'm really short, so it would probably be decent protection for me. (I have to stand on a stool whenever I centrifuge blood, because trying to blindly balance a centrifuge results in a shaking, unbalanced centrifuge and blood squirting out everywhere.) For the average sized, I suppose it's great protection up to the waist. Great for the gent with a grave fear of a shattered patella, and not much else.

YoungStudentMarius wrote:My word, did anyone read the book? :shock: I really doubt it, sometimes...Poor Victor Hugo. I have to wonder just how much he was rolling in his grave with every adaptation...

Breaking News:
The team of scientists did NOT detect any seismic activity from Victor Hugo's grave site. However, they did note that the man was moaning in pain. Scientists are baffled as to what terrible thing could cause a corpse physical agony. The world may never know.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm

inkrose115 wrote:
YoungStudentMarius wrote:

No, no, no! What follows is a scene where Valjean confronts Javert and acts why he wanted to end his life, followed by much tears and angst (EmoJavert!) and Valjean tries to slap sense into him (ViolentValjean!). Then they reconcile during a montage set to saccharine-sweet, nausea-inducing music. Jean Valjean offers Javert redemption, and Javert sings a song to the tune of "What Have I done". They become best friends forever, with subtle, slashly overtones. And they all live happily ever after!

And then my TV breaks because I have thrown my remote at it in disgust, while I am off worshiping the porcelain goddess. :mrgreen:

This. Yes.

That, or they both drown in the Wading Pool of Death, confessing their love for each other as the tide pulls them just below the water's edge. And Javert breaks his back on a random concrete barrier and Valjean gives up his struggle for life when he sees the love of his life die before him, but is rescued by CabbageCabbage the Shoujo Cosette dog. The End.

I worry about myself sometimes...

And yay, another short person! :mrgreen: We shall remain safe as Marjolras leads us to convict's rights!

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:05 am

I have not seen whole Neeson/Rush version, but I think I need to see Marjolras! :mrgreen:
Writer, Rafael Yglesias, apparently liked to mix the Brick and his totally own story...

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:09 am

Marjolras is another thing that makes me kind of go "huh?", though I'm not sure I'd call it "the worst." It's certainly an easy way to compress stuff, and I'm sure many people think a swashbuckling revolutionary hero is a more compelling romantic lead than a doof, but still... it's Marius, far and away the least-dedicated Ami in the book. And besides, I like him as a doof. :D
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Return to “Movies”