What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
DarthxEponine

Re: What was the worst in the movies?

Postby DarthxEponine » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:48 am

Another stupid thing about the 98 film is that the Thenardiers never come out after Valjean pays them for Cosette. They're such interesting villains. Apparently the director/script thought that Javert was villain enough.
Someday I'll find my very own Marius... :D

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu May 19, 2011 3:38 am

Some random ramblings on the Depardieu mini-series:

So after watching the previous two French tv minis, I went back and rewatched this and I'm starting to feel that it's horrible? It's funny how perspective changes because I think it was the first French version I saw and I thought, this is awesome, it has all these characters/events, yay! But now I'm feeling that maybe it's not horrible per se but it's just disappointing. Maybe after so many Les Mis films and series it would be hard for it not to be disappointing or pointless, but I think it had the potential to not be pointless. They had 6 hours and they still didn't seem to cover the ground that the 1972 and 1982 series had. If anything, even if they couldn't put a new twist on it, they could have made a version that covered more in the book than any other version did before, but they didn't. And of course the casting was mediocre all around as well

With this series it's not a question of why did they not do such-and-such a thing so much as, why did they do such-and-such a thing? (Although sometimes I know the answer - for instance, in the case of, why did they show so much of the convent? Why did they have Fauchelevent show up at the barricade, the answer is probably pretty much, "to show Jeanne Moreau".)

Also I did not previously notice how they butchered Enjolras. Why is he smiling all the time? Why does he care about Marius' love life? Why does he act like such an all around goon? He's terrible.

The ABC club is usually not my main focus, but even I wonder why when they had 6 hours they chose to so blatently not do anything with it.

And of course, Enrico Lo Verso will forever confuse me.

So basically, the Depardieu mini series is all the worse because it could have been good, but it's like they went out of their way to make it crappy.

Postby 9430 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 am

The director seems to do some really weird things in the series. We'll be trundling along enjoying something that's very close to the book and then something comes out of left field and leaves us completely stumped. Maybe the director is a bit crazy (he seemed to do similar things with the Monte Cristo adaptation).
aka Fiwen

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:55 pm

I can't help it, I have to say something....
The director of both the Les Mis and the Monte-Cristo miniseries is actually a she...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

MissPontmercy

Postby MissPontmercy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:18 am

I just don't understand why they make movies about Les Miz and butcher them. If they are going to make a movie, why not do it correctly?

Hence my theory about the '98 film and the screen time running out after Montfermeil...

IDEA

What if we editted all the "good parts" of all the movies together? There are good parts in all of them... But all of them are not good. We could make something like a mashup that actually tells the story of Les Miz.

But it would be a nightmare to edit, and extremely hard to follow. Sigh. Oh well.
"God is behind all things but all things hide God. Objects are black and human beings are opaque. To love a person is to render them transparent."

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1614809/Wendla_Bergmann

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:25 pm

The only redeeming feature of the Depardieu mini-series for me is that Virginie Ledoyen is an adorable Cosette.
Also, the scenes they chose to omit from the English version are just really odd. Éponine just vanishes from the story for no apparent reason. If they felt they could cut 3 hours to make it in English as well, surely that's a sign to them that their 6 hour French one was in fact, rather awful.
I too am impossible

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 pm

When I watched the Depardieu one recently I realized pretty much all of episode 2 could be cut. It is really mostly just shenanigans at the convent.

I think I'm gonna do a comparison of the French 34 film and the American 35 film. I think it's probably likely that the 35 was made in response to the 34 and it makes me wonder, what changes would that have made just for adaptation purposes and what changes did they make because of that Hays Code (censors for the movies then).

Beaupain

Postby Beaupain » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm

I started watching the 2000 version, starring Depardieu, but I had to stop after the second part. I love Malkovitch's Javert, and I think I'm in love with Virginie Ledoyen, but when I saw that Marius -one of my favourite characters, if not my favourite of all- was Enrico Lo Verso...

I saw the movie Farinelli a few months ago and he had just the same facial expressions as Farinelli's brother in Les Misérables...Therefore, to me, the way he glances at Cosette was like "I want you in my bed". Marius is supposed to be rather innocent and pure...it really disturbed me. Moreover, what's this Enjolras ? Seriously...

The director, Josée Dayan, always manages to put excellent actors in average (if not awful) mini-series...in Dangerous Liaisons, Catherine Deneuve and Rupert Everett bored me, in The Accursed Kings, Jeanne Moreau was anecdotic...
I'm really sorry, but I'm French. I hope it's a way to apologize for my english, my stupid pride and some other things...

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Therefore, to me, the way he glances at Cosette was like "I want you in my bed". Marius is supposed to be rather innocent and pure...it really disturbed me.

Also it doesn't help that he's much too old for the part. I have mixed feelings on that series but I do not like his Marius at all.

DarthxEponine

Postby DarthxEponine » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:00 am

I don't know. I really loved the 2000 series. Although I thought Marius and all the revolutionaries were simply deplorable, the Valjean/Javert/Cosette/Thenardier/Éponine combo was enough to make me happy. Éponine seriously needed counseling in this version, and is it wrong for me to really love psycho Eponines? She was really really dark and I loved it. It was refreshing. I also liked seeing the Thenardiers go from ugly and bad to worse and worse!
Someday I'll find my very own Marius... :D

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:22 am

It has good points and bad points. Like when Thenardier talks about selling Cosette's teeth, it makes me shudder, and totally plausible and a good not-in-the-book made up detail. But for every good addition there's a bizarre addition. And when I first saw it I quite liked it. It's just that now that I've seen most of the previous French films of the story, this one didn't really seem to have anything new to add.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 am

I actually used to really like the 2000 version, too, mainly because it has been the first adaptation I ever saw...Plus, since after the 2000 version it took me over two years to get my hands on one of the good adaptations ('85), the miniseries was in the weird position of being the best Les Mis-adaptation I had seen so far for the whole time. Because, compared to '35, '52, '78, '98 and Shoujo Cosette it still looks pretty good...
Still, nothing tops the "It's how your mother called God" in the competition of bad dialogue ideas...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Romantic_Lobster

Postby Romantic_Lobster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 am

Newbie confession time: I used to love the miniseries with Depardieu & co, when I watched it back in 2000 - mainly because of the way Cosette was portrayed and - wait for it - I kind of liked Malkovich!Javert. Oh, yes.
I probably shouldn't have rewatched the series recently :? Although I still think parts of it are quite good (I have a soft spot for Depardieu's Valjean, and the Cosette remains adorable), scenes like the one, when Valjean mentions to Marius, that he's in love with Cosette, overshadow the pretty good parts. (I could understand, that Valjean confuses his close emotional connection to Cosette for romantic love, but why he should consider it a good idea to tell Marius about this, is beyond me).
As for Marius in this version, I'm torn: I rather like the actor (and I might be one of the few people in existence who think he's attractive ;) ), but, I don't know, he seemed too "tough", too involved... the one scene I probably dislike the most is the one at the university, when Enjolras & Courfeyrac go on and on about how brilliant Marius and his revolutionary rethoric are...

Never_Seek_to_Tell

Postby Never_Seek_to_Tell » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 am

Of all the film adaptations (and I've seen A LOT of them) I would have to say I consider the 1998 Liam Neeson and the 2000 Gerard Depardieu to be sort of the ultimate double-header of bad. Of course, each has SOME merits (Geoffrey Rush made an almost passable Javert in 1998; Asia Argento brought a nice touch of insanity to the proceedings as Éponine in 2000) but mostly I think they blow.
I literally Twitter-messaged a friend through the 1998 version recently, and she was SO confused. I told her, that's just the badness that is '98. Then I told her about some of the issues with 2000 and she sort of seemed scared.
For me, I no longer watch the 1998 version if I can help it, and I catch the 2000 version on occasion (if only for Charlotte Gainsbourg as Fantine and Virginie Ledoyen as Cosette) and there is one thing that I watch 2000 for most closely.
This split-second of Felix Tholomyes just after Fantine has revealed her pregnancy. This single blink-and-you-miss-it facial expression is what saves the WHOLE miniseries for me. If things get too off later (as they inevitably do) I just think of this, and I smile.

As for versions that worked for me, I like the 1982 French miniseries a lot.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:42 am

This split-second of Felix Tholomyes just after Fantine has revealed her pregnancy.

hee. That's too funny.

I think the 2000 series is either really good or really bad. It throws out a lot of ideas that either work really well or really poorly, for me. I admire it for trying to be different but I think they messed up too badly regarding the insurrection.

never_seek_to_tell, please tell me you have seen the 1934 version, directed by Raymond Bernard. Everyone must see that one at least once. Not the most faithful adaptation, (although pretty close), but imo, perfect casting.

Return to “Movies”