What was the worst in the movies?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
sansculotte

What was the worst in the movies?

Postby sansculotte » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:48 pm

Everyone knows that most of Les Misérables fans hate most of Les Misérables movies. I won't start a discussion why it is like that, because it seems to be obvious. I would like to ask what does the movie need to annoy a real Les Miz fan. What makes us able to kill a director, producer or the one who wrote the screenplay. To be short: what do you hate most in Les Miz movies?
If you give no limits to liberty, you'll soon get rid of equality and if you want to keep perfect equality, liberty will disappear faster than you think. The point is then to choose one of the two.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:35 am

Laziness. Holy god, some writers/producers are so lazy when it comes to Les Mis. They crop some scenes, delete others altogether to make the movie shorter. They do the same with characters, too.

The 1998 Les Mis movie was good, as a movie. But as a Les Mis adaptation, it was ridiculously lazy. Enjolmarius? What the hell? Did we just not want to pay that many cast members? And the ending stopping with Javert's death? Again, did our budget run low, or did our attention span run out? Come on.

Laziness. Yeesh. If a bunch of dedicated Mizfans got together to make a film adaptation, it'd be so long it'd have to be split into three movies, or perhaps a miniseries. Actually, I wouldn't mind helping to work on something like that.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:38 am

But where would we get the funding? O, alas! (Besides, if it were a fan project you know the focus would be skewed towards Javert and the Amis.)

I don't mind things being left out; they have a limited amount of time for the movie, after all. What I can't stand is when they change things, often for no perceivable reason. Arbitrary renaming of Montreuil-sur-Mer to Vigau? Marius leading the revolution? Javert chasing Valjean through the Thénardiers' inn instead of through Paris? Valjean perving on Cosette? Cosette trying to hold Toussaint at gunpoint? MAKE IT STOP.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

sansculotte

Postby sansculotte » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:51 pm

Marianne wrote:Arbitrary renaming of Montreuil-sur-Mer to Vigau?

This can be a little justified: Vigau has far easier pronounciation, so it gives bigger chances that the audience will get interested in the story. But the rest you've mentioned have really no serious explanation.

However, I think that we can forgive the producers such details if the rest of the story remains faithful to the novel's general message. Javert chasing Valjean through the inn is in fact a detail that can't spoil a great movie. For me there are two kinds of irritating changes: those which change the endings (like ending the movie with Javert's Suicide) and those which argue with the reality of nineteenth century (like Valjean giving the factory to all its workers).
If you give no limits to liberty, you'll soon get rid of equality and if you want to keep perfect equality, liberty will disappear faster than you think. The point is then to choose one of the two.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Oh God...the 1998 movie. What my English teacher didn't like was the 'romantic' implications between Valjean and Fantine. What I didn't like was how Marius was portrayed. And Cosette was pretty bad too. What really gets me though is Javert's suicide. I really, really do not think the movie should have ended there.

But in fairness, the 1998 movie pretty much expands on Gavroche's role more than the musical does. (if I'm right, we get to see his two little brothers there?)
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:01 am

I have only seen snippets of that movie, but that Javert jumps into the Seine with Valjean watching is highly unrealistic. I mean, Valjean would jump straight after him to use his "Covict Powerz of DOOOOOM" and pull him out again, with no regard to the fact that he might just be endangering himself quite a bit...

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:12 pm

That perhaps is what kills me most about the movie.

But enough about 1998. What about other renditions?
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:50 pm

The 2000 miniseries has its moments too... like when Fantine gets her haircut and ends up looking like she should go join the Spiders from Mars. I didn't even know glam-rock mullets existed in 1823!

And John Malkovitch. Every single word he spoke I wanted to strangle him; wtf is up with his French?
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

duva

Postby duva » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 pm

John Malkovich gives me nightmares.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:27 pm

I only saw him as Talleyrand in the Napoleon miniseries. Gods, he can be sneaky! :D
Oh, and I saw him in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too. Aaaaaaarrrrgh!!! :shock:

aka Darth Gilthoron

duva

Postby duva » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:08 am

My evil horrible friend made me watch the 1998 on Friday. :shock: ........ dear me. I don't quite know where to start. Let's see, some of the things that bugged me:

- Uma Thurman
- Javert seeing what happened with Fantine and instead of arresting the men SLAPPING her and arresting her, WTF?
- Cosette the whiny emo teenager
- Claire Danes' accent
- Marjolras, oh dear lord
- Marjolras quite stupid to be speechifying in the middle of the street. Quite shinypretty though.
- Violence! Valjean slamming Javert's head into that wall like that.
- Valjean HITTING THE BISHOP OMGWTF.
- Valjean loving Fantine. Er.
- Valjean smacking Cosette.
- Valjean telling Cosette he was a convict. WTF.
- Suicide. Audience. Hello.
- ... what happened to the rest of the film?

I'm sure there is more.

(Also, I've renamed that pretty young thing they insisted was Marius Marjorie. Because I was calling him Marjorlas and my friend thought I said Marjorie and yes.)

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:55 am

XD Hans Matheson is pretty, but really, was it so hard to hire ONE more actor for Enjolras?!

I wrote a four page handwritten review about that movie back in 1998 when I rented it. My friend laughed and said I was dedicated to rant about such a movie. No, the movie was just that bad. Even my mom called it 'a travesty', this being not long after she and I saw the Toronto 3NT production. XD
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:49 am

Oh goodness...Marjolras.

I have a feeling that the directors wanted to make Marius a more sympathetic character, but that was just too much. A lot of reviews/synopses even of the musical play or the book describe Marius as a radical revolutionary, which is in my opinion slightly off. Marius didn't get overly radical-republican until the barricades.

Yeah, give Marius a more involved role with Les Amis, I understand. But him as a leader? That's already OOC.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 pm

There's an Enjolras listed on the cast list, though. I wonder who that might be?

aka Darth Gilthoron

brittlesmile

Postby brittlesmile » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:29 am

Oooh! I actually know this! You know the guy who says, "Tomorrow you'll be able to sleep with your woman a free man"? That's our (chastely lowers his eyes before all that is not the republic) Enjolras.

Also, as a side note: the worst thing about making Marius the leader of the students is that he abandons them the night before Lamarque's funeral. It's one thing for him to go see Cosette when Les Amis are just his crazy sort of friends. It's completely different to abandon the group you're leading the night before you run to your deaths.
"Détruire les abus, cela ne suffit pas; il faut modifier les moeurs. Le moulin n'y est plus, le vent y est encore."

Return to “Movies”