Turning

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Konki

Turning

Postby Konki » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am

I was listening to the soundtrack from the 2011 movie adaptation (which I do almost everyday) when it occurred to me that there was, ehat seemed like, a continuity error in the lyrics of the song Turning. In case you need a refresher the relevant lyrics goes like this:

Did you see them
Lying where they died?
Someone used to cradle them
And kiss them when they cried.
Did you see them
Lying side by side?

At first, these two lines seemed self contradictory as they died all around the place, which would mean they could not both lie where thay died and side by side. But after countless hours of thinking about these lines i suddenly realised that it might just be a metaphor. Considering the fact that they chose to fight together until death, one could say that they both fougth and died side by side. This would give the lines a much deeper meaning as it would not mean that they not literally both lied where they died and side by side, but that the lines were ment figuratively.

I would be very happy to know if any of you share my thoughts or if I am just a lunatic that spends my time thinging of such arbirtrary things.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Ursula_F

Re: Turning

Postby Ursula_F » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:21 pm

It could mean that after the battle, the bodies were laid out in rows (side by side) to be collected by loved ones for burial. But I like your idea better, that they were metaphorically side by side because they fought together. Nice interpretation!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Imo it's not so much women talking about the same instance, as summing up a variety of different reactions to and experiences of the revolt from the diverse women of Paris. So some women saw them lying where they died, then they were moved later. So, just like some characters can admire them, while others can be dismissive, as in "They were schoolboys, never held a gun" especially. And we know it's nonsense because they did have experience of guns, so I guess it's like Unreliable Narrator - The Musical. I'm rambling now...

Also, welcome to Abaisse :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Also, technically lying dead in a heap next to each other is still "side by side," even if it's not in the traditional "deliberately lined up next to each other" sense. It's not like you had one dead ami out in the middle of a field somewhere and then another one way over there in that other direction. From a staging standpoint, they were all within a few feet of each other where they fell.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Konki

Postby Konki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

deHavilland wrote:Also, technically lying dead in a heap next to each other is still "side by side," even if it's not in the traditional "deliberately lined up next to each other" sense. It's not like you had one dead ami out in the middle of a field somewhere and then another one way over there in that other direction. From a staging standpoint, they were all within a few feet of each other where they fell.

As I have not yet had the opportunity to watch the the theatrical adaptation of the musikal, this did not fall into my mind, but you are most likely correct concerning the little stage area.
Thank you very much for your view on the idea.

Konki

Postby Konki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Ursula_F wrote:It could mean that after the battle, the bodies were laid out in rows (side by side) to be collected by loved ones for burial. But I like your idea better, that they were metaphorically side by side because they fought together. Nice interpretation!

What you state here is most likely the case, but I am happy that you found my interpertation intresting.

Konki

Postby Konki » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Acaila wrote:Imo it's not so much women talking about the same instance, as summing up a variety of different reactions to and experiences of the revolt from the diverse women of Paris. So some women saw them lying where they died, then they were moved later. So, just like some characters can admire them, while others can be dismissive, as in "They were schoolboys, never held a gun" especially. And we know it's nonsense because they did have experience of guns, so I guess it's like Unreliable Narrator - The Musical. I'm rambling now...

Also, welcome to Abaisse :)

Thank you for your welcome.
I do really find your view on the case intresting, though I have never been a great fan of the Unreliable Narrator.
But I do like the idea that the different women talk about it from different points of view.

Return to “Movies”