What is MOST complete filmed version?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Ursula_F

What is MOST complete filmed version?

Postby Ursula_F » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:05 pm

So, having recently finished the Brick, I am eager to watch a filmed version that includes all the cool stuff from the book that's NOT in the musical (the coffin, the convent, the handkerchief, the Jondrette chapter, the elephant and Gavroche's brothers, etc.).

I know there probably isn't a version that has EVERYTHING, but what's the most inclusive version?

I'm currently watching Shoujo Cosette (and loving it, not gonna lie!). And I recently bought DVDs of the French 1934 Raymond Bernard version and the 1958 French version (but haven't watched them yet). How complete are those versions? And are there any that include scenes missing from those?
Last edited by Ursula_F on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What is MOST complete filmed version?

Postby 23623 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Second the question. I always want to see a good movie adaption of LM. But judging from the threads here there seems to be none (are the movie adaptions really *that* bad? lol) I'd love to watch a relative best, if there's any... It must be quite different from watching the musical which I can already memorize word by word. :mrgreen: I think it's probably very difficult to make a "complete" movie version of LM. Most movies last 2 or 3 hours at most, which I don't think would be enough to cover all the details (and digressions :wink: ) in the brick. However I guess a "complete" series movie or TV show might be plausible. Don't know if such things exist though.
Revolution, but civilization

Postby 23623 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:19 pm

deHavilland wrote:The tragic 1998 film ends with Javert's Suicide and Neeson ValNeeson wandering away with a smile, but Cosette and Marius' wedding doesn't feature. (And it's one death in Liam Neeson's long and varied career of them that he somehow manages to escape for no discernible reason.)

ThatInspector wrote:I did some research and found that the one I was thinking of was the 1978 TV movie, which ends with the wedding and Valjean living. I haven't seen it, though; I'm just going off of Wikipedia, so I have no idea how accurate that is. But now I'm interested...

Getting back to the idea of him living, I agree that he has to die. It completes his character arc (this coming from someone who hasn't finished the book yet :P).

Quotes are from the "unnecessary death" thread in brick section *attempts to keep everything on-topic*
Thank you, Havvy and Inspector! Found the 1998 version but I'm not sure if I really want to watch this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klM_2XxjE0Q
I guess the movie Inspector refers to is this one...? --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgBdEuw_j0
It's in Spanish and there are no subtitles. And speaking of this, I guess there may be some wonderful foreign adaptions that we haven't heard of. Most of us have already learned the story by heart so I don't think language will be a big problem when actually watching the movie! :D
Revolution, but civilization

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Most of us have already learned the story by heart so I don't think language will be a big problem when actually watching the movie! :D

LOL! Very true! :)

Edit: OH! I was just reading through the movie threads here (this forum is so amazing!), and I saw that in a thread about a Mexican version, a poster called Lugitum gave an opinion on all the most complete versions! I'll copy it here:

In 1973 or 1974, Mexican channel "Canal 13" released a 20 episode live action television adaptation of Les Misérables, which is about 20 hours long. The official tapes of the broadcast were taped over when the television station was purchased. Thanks for the great video clips. I see different dates online, is the release date 1973 or 1974?

This is one of the few definitive adaptations of Les Misérables! I have seen/heard 19 major tv/radio/film adaptations (and 11 minor) of Les Misérables, and have seen about half so far of the 1964 Italy and 1971 Spain adaptations, which I am working my way through now. I am also familiar with many other major/minor adaptations which I haven't seen/heard yet.

The 2007 Japan adaptation is by far my favorite, and I consider it better than the 1934 France and 1964 Italy (watched half so far) and 1971 Spain (watched half so far) and 2001 UK Radio adaptations. Those five adaptations are top level for me. The 1935 USA is the other top favorite of mine, but mostly because I saw it first and love the Digne and Bishop Myriel scenes. Keep in mind that it's actually a weak adaptation of the book and not too "well made".

I have high hopes that once I watch/hear the 1925 France and 1967 UK and 1973/1974 Mexico and 1976 UK radio adaptations, that they will be as strong as my favorite 5-6 adaptations, but they are hard to find. If you are looking for a definitive Les Misérables adaptation, I think it would be one of the nine ones that I've mentioned so far (not counting the 1935 USA one though).

Wow, I definitely have to try to track down some of those other versions! I'm happy that 1934 France is in the "top 5", because I recently bought that one - glad to hear it's a good one! Here's the thread that post was from (it has a link to clips from the Mexican version too): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2819#p147980

ThatInspector

Postby ThatInspector » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Those sound excellent! I suppose the longer the adaptations are, the more material they can cover.

This is actually the movie I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmcrYcVqZ8 (link goes to the trailer). It's British, directed by Glenn Jordan.
~~~
No one ever told them that a summer's day can kill...

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm still happy with the 1958 version. Though I'm not a big fan of Jean Gabin and Bernard Blier as Valjean and Javert respectively, the barricade stuff is spot on, even down to Enjolras' beloved double loader. And Thenardier is awesome! Apart from the musical movie (which did a fantastic job getting the story straight and closer to the book) and the more obscurer Italian TV miniseries and black and white adaptions from the 20s and 30s, this is the one I'd recommend most to get a grip of a more complete and faithful to the book movie adaptation.

Is the elephant in any other movie than the musical film btw?
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Glad to hear about the 1958 version, Auf die Barrikaden! That's another one I bought but haven't watched yet. I'm psyched to see all these different versions and compare them!

Ursula_F

Postby Ursula_F » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:47 am

P.S. "Shoujo Cosette" includes the elephant! And Gavroche's little brothers too!

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Check out my post that Ursula_F quoted. When comparing adaptations, here are some things to keep in mind:
-The longer the adaptation, the better
-Adaptations change stuff that was in the novel
-Adaptations add stuff that is not in the novel
-Adaptations vary in tone from too bright (2007 Japan) to medium (2012 UK) to dark/dramatic (1971 Spain)
-There is probably no adaptation ever made that is too dark/dramatic
-Even the most dark/dramatic versions need to be even more dark/dramatic

Don't overlook radio adaptations. Start with these adaptations:
-1934 France (4 hours)
-1964 Italy (10 hours)
-1971 Spain (7 hours)
-2000 France (the longer 6 hours French version)
-2001 UK (Radio) (6 hours)
-2007 Japan (23 hours)

Those versions are all easily enough to get, but let me know if you need help. However the 1964/1971 versions have no subtitles available that I know of. There is a 6 hour long 2012 France radio adaptation, however I don't speak French and can't review it even though it's probably great. There are some extremely strong versions which are unavailable besides these.

I believe that the Elephant is also in the 1961/1962/1963 France TV movie trilogy adaptation. Other versions may have it as well but I can't remember right now.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:01 am

Lugitum wrote:Check out my post that Ursula_F quoted. When comparing adaptations, here are some things to keep in mind:
-The longer the adaptation, the better
-Adaptations change stuff that was in the novel
-Adaptations add stuff that is not in the novel
-Adaptations vary in tone from too bright (2007 Japan) to medium (2012 UK) to dark/dramatic (1971 Spain)
-There is probably no adaptation ever made that is too dark/dramatic
-Even the most dark/dramatic versions need to be even more dark/dramatic

Don't overlook radio adaptations. Start with these adaptations:
-1934 France (4 hours)
-1964 Italy (10 hours)
-1971 Spain (7 hours)
-2000 France (the longer 6 hours French version)
-2001 UK (Radio) (6 hours)
-2007 Japan (23 hours)

Those versions are all easily enough to get, but let me know if you need help. However the 1964/1971 versions have no subtitles available that I know of. There is a 6 hour long 2012 France radio adaptation, however I don't speak French and can't review it even though it's probably great. There are some extremely strong versions which are unavailable besides these.

Oh, I wouldn't say the longer the better necessarily. I think the earlier French adaptations are better than the 2000 mini-series.

Is the 2001 UK radio version the one with Roger Allam as Jean Valjean? If not, there is another one with Roger Allam:

https://www.amazon.com/Miserables-BBC-R ... B00U95O3JK

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:14 pm

It's difficult to have a long enough adaptation considering the time/effort/money required, and the interest/attention span of a casual fan and a random viewer as opposed to a committed fan. However, most adaptations are too short. Adaptations often change stuff, add stuff, and lighten the tone too much, which weakens them. Nevertheless I probably like all adaptations anyways.

I am currently reading the book, and have recently read the section on the ship Orion. It's the six pages from 307 to 312 in the Julie Rose translation. The first two pages are the war between France and Spain, the next two pages are on the ship Orion, and the last two pages are on the incident where Jean Valjean saves another sailor's life and then falls into the sea. If my ideal adaptation is made, I think that it actually should be two versions. The first one would be the original full adaptation (a television series) and the second one would be re-cut of it which would be a condensed adaptation (a television mini-series).

The first adaptation would give full coverage to all six pages. The second adaptation would give full coverage to the last two pages, and the first four pages would be condensed to 15% of their size. Since for a casual fan and random viewer, the description of the war doesn't add much to the story and the description of the ship Orion adds some but not too much. The committed fan can read the book and watch both adaptations, the casual fan can watch the short adaptation and maybe read the book, and the random viewer can just watch the short adaptation. Maybe the long adaptation can be 60 hours long and the short adaptation can be 15 hours long.

Many adaptations I have only seen/heard in full one time. It has been years since I got into Les Misérables, and as I have checked out more adaptations over time, my taste/preferences/standards have changed some. For example, two of the first adaptations I saw were the 1978 UK and the 2000 France adaptations, and I rated them 9.5/10 and ranked them very high; however, if I saw them now for the first time, I probably would only rate them 9/10 and not rank them as high, since they may change tone/details and improperly add/cut stuff. On the other hand, if I heard the 1937 USA radio adaptation early on maybe it could rank even higher.

The 2001 UK radio adaptation is the one you linked. Every day I listen to parts of the 1937 USA and 1952 USA and 1982 USA radio adaptations. However, even though I like the 2001 UK and 2002 USA radio adaptations, I don't listen to them as much recently. For the former I am not used to the UK accents, and for the later I do not prefer the accent of the actor for Jean Valjean. I also have the 2012 France radio adaptation but don't listen to it because I don't understand much and don't know French.

Return to “Movies”