Possible new tv version!

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Ursula_F

Re: Possible new tv version!

Postby Ursula_F » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:07 am

"Davies will be working from Hugo’s novel, rather than the musical, to delve deep into the many layers of Jean Valjean and Javert’s cat-and-mouse relationship"

YES PLEASE.

And six hours!!! Woo-hoo! Think we'll get Gavroche's brothers and the elephant?

Lugitum

Postby Lugitum » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:52 pm

I'm excited for this adaptation. I haven't seen their adaptation of War & Peace, but the IMDB ratings/reviews are strong even though not extremely strong.

Even with many new adaptations being made over the years, most actually aren't extremely strong. So I should temper my expectations some, even though I will probably end up rating this adaptation at least 9 out of 10.

There are many shorter/medium length versions. What I think we need now is a 30 hour long version that is live action and dramatic. The 2007 Japan version was extremely long and extremely great overall. However some stuff was removed, some stuff was changed, some stuff was added, and the tone was too bright. The 1971 Spain adaptation was extremely great and extremely dramatic, however it was only seven hours long. I don't remember too much new stuff being added to it, but with a length of only seven hours it wasn't complete enough for me. I don't remember it having weird changes to the story though. There was a 30 hour long Vietnamese version released in 2013 though, which I will have to purchase soon.

There is a version being made that is expected to be around 25 hours long, but I am not sure if it's still in production:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2779

The holy grail of all Les Misérables adaptations is probably the 20+ hour long 1974 Mexico TV series adaptation, of which only the first half is available since the second half may be permanently lost.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2819

Unfortunately I don't think we will see Gavroche's brothers and the Elephant in this upcoming adaptation. It seems to not be enough of a focus for filmmakers, and the length of this adaptation will be too short.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:53 am

Olivia_y wrote:Did it say how long each episode is? My guess would be an hour like most other BBC dramas? Certainly more room than any movie adaptation, how they use this time is another matter.

I've heard good things about the director, but the first time this series was flagged as a possibly he took a not-so-subtle shot at the musical adaptation, which was just felt so unnecessary. It sort of soured my enthusiasm a little.

Yeah, I agree, it was unnecessary, and I'm not even a huge fan of the movie. They had to sing, that was the whole point of adapting the musical. The singing wasn't the best but the movie did a good job incorporating more of the book and making the story clearer.

Return to “Movies”