About Notre-Dame: which movie/tv adaptation is closest to the book?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Lord Jon Connington

About Notre-Dame: which movie/tv adaptation is closest to the book?

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:14 am

I have only seen Disney (which is good in itself but very far from he book, plus they made Claude really over-the-top evil) and the live-action movie from about the same period (that awkward moment when Real!Dumbledore and Inigo Montoya fight over Salma Hayek).

Is there any adaptation that does it justice (particularly to Claude)?

(Hellfire is fucking awesome, though. I can't stop listening to it. It captures his obsession really well.)

Chantefleurie

Re: About Notre-Dame: which movie/tv adaptation is closest to the book?

Postby Chantefleurie » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Don't even get me started on Disney. It's a horror!

The famous musical had decent music and great costumes/esthetics, but they didn't do great on the characterization.

The 1956 film (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunch ... (1956_film)) does a decent job with characters... I don't remember specifically Claude, but they include Jehan, and their Quasimodo is much closer to the book version in character - though less so in appearance.

I personally don't think any movie adaptation can do justice with Claude, but they can try. After what goes on in his head and heart after he thought he condemned Esmeralda while Quasimodo saved her, and after his heart-rendering monologues, and ananke - I mean, movies can try, but there is so much that goes unsaid aloud that I don't think any adaptation would match the grandiosity of the book.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “Movies”