1978 version

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Darkhorse

1978 version

Postby Darkhorse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Started this to mention something I noticed. This is the only adaptation that I can think of where Javert identifies Valjean by name in Toulon.
"Who is that"
"24601"
"Name?
"Valjean, Jean Valjean"

Certainly in the musical it is prominently the other way around. Perkins Javert just went up another notch in my estimation for humanity.
Plus there is a lot of underlying Valvert in there, at least to my eyes, which suits me fine

Ulkis

Re: 1978 version

Postby Ulkis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:58 am

Yes, Perkins' Javert was one of the best Javerts in general, and the best thing about the 78 film, imo

Postby 23623 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:04 am

I just watched this movie and I like it! Despite the fact that I probably shouldn't...it skips so many scenes and cuts characters, but it gives lots of details on Valjean’s pre-Madeleine life which I really enjoy watching. I’d like it better if it were 4 hours long and expanded EVERY scene in such detail.

A kinda funny (but definitely not funny for me) thing that happened while watching: when Valjean and Javert met in the sewers, they…talked, and Javert asked Valjean to “turn around”. It was a nod to the scene where Valjean saved Javert. He had told him to “turn around” and cut the rope binding his wrists. So honestly even someone who has no prior knowledge of Les Mis could have guessed that Javert was going to let Valjean go at that point, if they had paid enough attention and recalled the barricade scene. But actually all I was thinking at that point was “DOES HE ASK VALJEAN TO TURN AROUND SO VALJEAN DOESN’T HAVE TO WATCH HIM SHOOT HIMSELF?” The thing is, the first non-musical adaptation of Les Mis I watched is the 1971 Spanish TV series, in which Javert shoots himself in his office, and I’ve heard of adaptations where Valjean watches Javert commit suicide. I was so scared of what might happen that I actually paused the movie after Valjean turned around and only resumed after I made sure I was ready for that……and of course, nothing bad happened (yet).

Ulkis wrote:Yes, Perkins' Javert was one of the best Javerts in general, and the best thing about the 78 film, imo

OMG YES I TOTALLY AGREE.
I NOW HAVE A NEW FAVORITE JAVERT.
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:33 pm

23623 wrote:I NOW HAVE A NEW FAVORITE JAVERT.

Yeah Perkins is pretty great isn't he?

It's a pity the rest of the cast was...not as good. I'm not that keen on the Valjean casting (especially later years when the old-man makeup was awful). Marius and Cosette were completely bland and unmemorable, Éponine was non-existent and Enjolras was a non-event, it was hard to feel anything for Fantine since we barely saw anything of her before she was basically dying, and the Thenardiers were reduced to a cameo.

Postby 23623 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 am

Olivia_y wrote:It's a pity the rest of the cast was...not as good. I'm not that keen on the Valjean casting (especially later years when the old-man makeup was awful). Marius and Cosette were completely bland and unmemorable, Éponine was non-existent and Enjolras was a non-event, it was hard to feel anything for Fantine since we barely saw anything of her before she was basically dying, and the Thenardiers were reduced to a cameo.

Haha yes agree about the totally not convincing makeup. I keep forgetting that Valjean should be older than Javert. :lol:
That Marius looks like a huggable fluffy teddy bear. :lol:
I don't know whether I should feel happy or disappointed at the fact that Gillenormand manages to make an appearance while Éponine doesn't.

I loved everything about the movie for the first half an hour. The Valjean backstory was very interesting. But it all went downhill from the Madeleine era. They just rushed everything in the rest of the movie. :(

I've ranted about this before but can't help bringing this up again. I really wish Fantine could get an actual story line in these adaptations. It seems so wrong that the whole point of her character is usually reduced to "her life sucks and she has to die so the plot moves on". Her misery is important for the plot and everything, but I always consider her love for her daughter as her definitive characteristic which should get much more emphasis. I also want to see more of her happy times with her friends. Seeing how happy she used to be, you'd feel even sadder for what she has become now.
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:48 pm

23623 wrote:... I also want to see more of her happy times with her friends. Seeing how happy she used to be, you'd feel even sadder for what she has become now.

That's true. She had a high old time when she was a mistress. That led in part to her suffering, because she could no longer get a job doing whatever she did before she became one, if I remember the book right. But as a mistress she truly loved what's his name and retained her virginal aspect, so to speak, unlike the others, and wouldn't just hop into somebody else's bed. She wouldn't support herself that way. So she had to leave Paris, which would have turned out all right except for the puritanical supervisor. I haven't seen these complexities in any of the four or five versions I've seen.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

tatselk

Postby tatselk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 am

Ulkis wrote:Yes, Perkins' Javert was one of the best Javerts in general, and the best thing about the 78 film, imo

100% AGREED, in fact, I would go so far as to say that he is the sole highlight of the 1978 movie. When watching it, I pretty much just skipped the parts without Perkins!vert. :lol:

The rest of this movie was kinda bleak:

1. Way too much time was spent on Toulon and Valjean's various escape attempts. Now I can't complain too much as it essentially means that Perkins!vert has more of a presence in the story than Brick!vert, not to mention that there is more of a Valvert vibe going on. But it makes the entire movie feel lopsided. :?

2. Fantine (and her story) was essentially a non-entity in this movie. If you haven't watched the musical or read the Brick, you would hardly have a clue as to what is going on with her.

3. Pretty much the whole socio-economic/ historical background of the era's poverty and politics was sacrificed in favour of what is basically An Extended Valvert Dialogue and Chase Sequence. The part on the Les Amis' barricade/ revolution felt more like a random street skirmish.

4. Aside from Perkins!vert, almost everyone else was poorly cast, poorly dressed or both.

5. General overacting.

Return to “Movies”