Les Misérables 1998

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
humanracer

Les Misérables 1998

Postby humanracer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:31 pm

It was on UK TV today. I found it fascinating that the court in Arras thought nothing of the fact that Champmathieu, the man who they all thought was Jean Valjean, had a Scottish accent!

As with all adaptions, they cut things out (notably Éponine and all the individual members of The Friends of the ABC) and focused heavily on certain aspects of the novel (in this case Cosette's struggle to become an independent adult). I have seen better adaptations and also seen worse. I did feel, however, that the movie looked BEAUTIFUL.

Ulkis

Re: Les Misérables 1998

Postby Ulkis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 pm

I feel the same way about the movie - I've seen better but I've seen worse.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 pm

humanracer wrote:It was on UK TV today. I found it fascinating that the court in Arras thought nothing of the fact that Champmathieu, the man who they all thought was Jean Valjean, had a Scottish accent!

Well people keep thinking I'm Irish abroad, so I can see how they could get him mixed up with Neeson :D

There are some bits of the movie I don't mind, mostly Geoffrey Rush. But the ending and Valjean hitting Cosette just make it too bizarre for me to really take seriously.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:11 am

I just saw the Liam Neeson/Uma Thurman movie and was not impressed. Too much was changed and left out. They changed Fauchelevent's and Champmathieu's names, and the name of the town where JVJ was M. le Maire. And the nature of the industry and how he became an industrialist. *Why?* Why even bother if you're going to mess with it so much? Javert threw himself into what looked like a shallow canal after a final confrontation scene (which I had expected in the book, but of course doesn't exist), and JVJ doesn't try to fish him out. Just walks off with a big ol' grin. And that's it, no wedding, no pining away, no Marius/Thenardier confrontation...and Javert tells Cosette that she's a bastard and her mother was a ... really! Not even Thenardier, who knew it, gave that part away in the book.

I can now check that one off the list.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 am

Yeah, and it sort of shoves this weird Valjean/Fantine relationship down the viewers' throats, too. And gives us the weird Marjolras hybrid, even though technically there is an Enjolras, but there may as well not be.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 am

CC21106 wrote:Javert tells Cosette that she's a bastard and her mother was a ... really! Not even Thenardier, who knew it, gave that part away in the book.

WTF??!!!!!
I thought having Valjean kill a man would be the most ridiculous thing ever found in any adaptation but...whoa look what's happening there. :shock: :evil: When and where did Javert say that?

deHavilland wrote:Yeah, and it sort of shoves this weird Valjean/Fantine relationship down the viewers' throats, too.

Valjean/Fantine relationship? Where can I find the movie? :D Ok, I mean, actually I sort of want to see this but only if they didn't screw anything up. Seems that they did though...hmm...so how exactly did their...um...relationship go?
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:01 am

23623 wrote:so how exactly did their...um...relationship go?

Well, she dies, so... ;)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:17 am

deHavilland wrote:
23623 wrote:so how exactly did their...um...relationship go?

Well, she dies, so... ;)

Lol!! I'm still debating whether I should watch this movie. Judging from what CC said it seems truly horrible, but OP has also pointed out that it emphasizes Cosette's growing up to be an adult, which I'd be happy to see. Also I'm actually very curious how this story would go without Éponine. Look, I get it that sometimes Gillenormand, Mabeuf etc have to go because the plot isn't seriously affected without them *points at the musical* But cutting Éponine, seriously?! :shock:

What is "Marjolras hybrid" btw?

Oh and this:
But the ending and Valjean hitting Cosette just make it too bizarre for me to really take seriously.

I don't know what to say. :roll:

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:57 pm

23623 wrote:But cutting Éponine, seriously?! :shock:

The 1978 movie also didn't have Éponine, and I didn't miss her, the JVJ story moves along fine without her. (Then again the whole younger generation may as well have been props, given how much their roles were reduced. Valjean may as well have been going to the barricade to fetch a jar of jam.)

I've seen mixed reviews for this movie. Some people seem to really like Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush, but squeezing in a Valjean/Fantine dynamic is so wrong. It's like they can't fathom why anyone would be so kind/generous if not for a romantic connection. (And that final scene...no words...)

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:17 am

23623 wrote:What is "Marjolras hybrid" btw?

No Enjolras, but Marius haranguing the masses in the street and being a (the?) leader at the barricade...I'm not sure, kind of have blocked it out. The barricade scenes were mostly cannonry, and ALSO the boys weren't killed there, but surrendered and were shot en masse like Jean Prouvaire--like in that one weird German production.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 am

CC21106 wrote:ALSO the boys weren't killed there, but surrendered and were shot en masse like Jean Prouvaire--like in that one weird German production.

Oh dear lord that's terrible! Surrendered? Were they trying to butcher every single characterisation?

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:01 am

There was a character listed as Enjolras in the credits, but all of E's personality traits were pretty much transferred to Marius. Yeah... it was weird. :?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Oh man yeah, "Enjolras" surrendering was the point that movie moved beyond all hope of redemption. Though Valjean watching Javert do his swan dive and then ending the film there would have done likewise.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:29 am

By the way, what's this obsession some directors seem to have with Javert handcuffing himself before dropping (or slowly walking) into the river? This is definitely not the only film that has him doing that; and even some non-replica productions of the musical have tried it. :?

Postby 23623 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 am

Olivia_y wrote:
23623 wrote:But cutting Éponine, seriously?! :shock:

The 1978 movie also didn't have Éponine, and I didn't miss her, the JVJ story moves along fine without her. (Then again the whole younger generation may as well have been props, given how much their roles were reduced. Valjean may as well have been going to the barricade to fetch a jar of jam.)

I've seen mixed reviews for this movie. Some people seem to really like Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush, but squeezing in a Valjean/Fantine dynamic is so wrong. It's like they can't fathom why anyone would be so kind/generous if not for a romantic connection. (And that final scene...no words...)

CC21106 wrote:
23623 wrote:What is "Marjolras hybrid" btw?

No Enjolras, but Marius haranguing the masses in the street and being a (the?) leader at the barricade...I'm not sure, kind of have blocked it out. The barricade scenes were mostly cannonry, and ALSO the boys weren't killed there, but surrendered and were shot en masse like Jean Prouvaire--like in that one weird German production.

Acaila wrote:Oh man yeah, "Enjolras" surrendering was the point that movie moved beyond all hope of redemption. Though Valjean watching Javert do his swan dive and then ending the film there would have done likewise.

Haha now everything makes sense. Don't know why I didn't get the "Marjolras" thing the first time; I could have just read it literally and I'd get it! I've been wondering how Marius would end up at the barricade without Éponine stirring things up, but somehow completely overlooked the fact that he could have been there all along. :lol:

As for JVJ/Fantine...hehe, I kind of want to see something like maybe Valjean thinking about Fantine in his moments of doubt or sorrow etc. The 1971 Spanish TV series actually has some (imo) lovely scenes like Valjean thinking about Fantine when he and Cosette stay in the convent. But I totally don't trust this movie to do it in a not-weird way. Still haven't watched it and I never will *covers eyes* but I imagine they could even have Valjean and Fantine kiss or something as disastrous as that...

Oh God the Baden Mis that I love and hate so much... I watched it for the guy playing Enjolras because he's one of my favorite actors but he didn't even get a decent Enjy-death! :x And what?! They did that in the movie too?

Valjean watched Javert committing suicide?!! :shock: :shock: Seriously how did they come up with all the crap in the first place?

Now I believe the main reason that Baden Mis manages to freak me out is that I haven't seen this movie. I didn't realize there's so much more and so much worse than that.

*EDIT*
By the way, what's this obsession some directors seem to have with Javert handcuffing himself before dropping (or slowly walking) into the river? This is definitely not the only film that has him doing that; and even some non-replica productions of the musical have tried it. :?

This has been done so many times actually? 0_o Oh man...I thought it originated from that Baden video too. :oops:

Return to “Movies”