Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Marianne

Re: Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Postby Marianne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Now I am imagining a Tim-Burton-ingenue type (you know, Christina Ricci/Jayne Wisener/Mia Wasikowska lookalike) looking all ethereal and doll-like and delicate until she UNLEASHES ENJOLRAIC SMACKDOWN.

It doesn't exactly fit with my image of Enjolras in canon, but it's making me grin nonetheless.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Alex

Postby Alex » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:28 am

I'm happy someone mentioned Burton, because when I saw Les Mis in DC, the Thenardiers were clearly based on Burton's interpretations of Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett. Mme T even looked like Helena Bonham Carter. It wasn't very canon (she was dreadfully skinny), but it was still awesome, so for those reasons I would love to see Depp and Carter as the Thenardiers. But as someone mentioned earlier, they would definitely steal the show - er, movie.

I'd also love to see an Anne Hathaway or a Mary Louise-Parker as Cosette. After seeing Louise-Parker in "Red," I'm convinced she'd do a good job with it (I'd never seen "Weeds" so I didn't really know her as an actress). I say this because towards the end of the Brick, my opinion is that Cosette is just a bit cheeky at times (saying things like "oh you boys and your private conversations..."), so it'd be great to see a Cosette with a slightly "modern young woman" flair. And I'd love to see either of those actresses react to Marius giving her an awful look when she accidentally shows a little leg. Bahaha

I love whoever's idea it was to make a trilogy, and I think they did a good job of splitting it up. I'd probably prefer to make it a mini-series a la John Adams or I, Claudius, though.

I'd love to see more of the convent, and also more of the Bishop. I think he's such an interesting character and he gets sooo shafted in the musical.

And I'd definitely pull a Peter Jackson and give myself a bit part somewhere XD

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 am

Signature's version was awesome. Not just the general style and the Burton influence, but the choice of what show to apply it to--most people would think you were crazy if you proposed a gothed-out Les Mis, but the industrial-revolution-dystopia theme fits it just as well as Sweeney Todd, maybe even better.

...speaking of industrial-revolution dystopias, it occurs to me that Les Mis is, time-period-wise, just on the edge of being able to qualify for steampunk. And THAT would make for a really cool design and some really interesting interactions with the existing themes of the book, especially M. Madeleine as an inventor, and the role of increasing mechanization in the rise industrial capitalism and working-class discontent. (Plus, while "lalala this Victorian sci-fi shit is awesome and I'm just not going to think about the problematic parts too hard" can be escapist fun, ever since reading Perdido Street Station I've been fascinated by what happens when you throw social justice into the gears of your steampunk.)
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.

thoroughly_mod_mizzy

Postby thoroughly_mod_mizzy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 am

STEAMPUNK LES MIS.

I want this to happen. And I don't even have a great reason behind it such as the things Marianne has said. I just think it would look freaking cool and I want to be the costume designer.
"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy, classified as pathologic, that denies the sun; this philosophy is called blindness."

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 am

Steampunk les mis is toootally a thing that could work. I mean yeah most people think of the bustle era but MEH why not have it occur earlier >D I've always wanted Javert to have a robot arm, anyway.

collectingbees

Postby collectingbees » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:20 am

Hannah wrote: I've always wanted Javert to have a robot arm, anyway.

jshfauryewhjrliurhtlkrhtlaregtliablirytvy la

WHY oh WHY does this make so much sense???

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 am

collectingbees wrote:jshfauryewhjrliurhtlkrhtlaregtliablirytvy la

WHY oh WHY does this make so much sense???

My brain is a sense-making MACHINE, Bees.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 am

Steam. punk. les. mis.

SOMEONE MUST DRAW THIS!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:09 am

...also IIRC Babbage's first prototype of the Difference Engine was completed in 1828, meaning there's some way to justify shoehorning gear-driven computers in there.

Just saying.

And I mean Combeferre did believe in all the impossible dreams like chloroform and steam power and zeppelins...

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Since seeing Jamie Campbell Bower in Harry Potter I want him to be Montparnasse. >>;

I've always wanted to see clockpunk Les Miz, but steampunk Les Miz is just as cool. But omgg robot arm Javert.

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:04 am

I actually had really disturbing dreams about steampunk Les Mis a few days ago.

...it involved mechanical-cyborg whores in Lovely Ladies. And Fantine had to like... join them and have her heart replaced by clockwork or something.

Francette

Postby Francette » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Steampunk les mis would be so amazing!

Hannah wrote:I've always wanted Javert to have a robot arm, anyway.

Well... there is a fanfic about robot!Javert. :lol:
"Il viendra le jour glorieux où dans sa marche vers l'idéal
L'homme ira vers le progrès du mal au bien du faux au vrai
Un rêve peut mourir mais on n'enterre jamais l'avenir."

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:03 am

I have to say, even though my knowledge of steampunk would fill a postage stamp, I love the idea of steampunk Les Mis and there should be fanart for this.

This is sort of an unreasonable and silly little wish, but I want to see Russell Brand as Grantaire. He isn't ugly enough for the role, but he's definitely got the outrageous speeches and invading-your-personal-space thing down. XD
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 am

OMG YES. I never thought of it before, and I don't even like him that much -- but he would do it justice!
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 pm

XD Glad someone agrees! I was thinking it might be just me. It's a shame it probably could never be so, because it's a small role in pretty much all of the movies, so it would be like "RUSSELL BRAND as Annoying/Adorable Drunk with 5 Minutes of Screen Time."
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Return to “Movies”