Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Usefulbeauty

Re: Wishful Thinking: Making Your Own Movie?

Postby Usefulbeauty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:01 am

Just thinking, Simon Amstell would make an amazing Joly. He could be all timid and floppy-haired and flighty! (I don't know what sort of insane British comedian-centric movie this would be, but SIMON AMSTELL WOULD BE IN IT.)
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

Lelia

Postby Lelia » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 am

I love Simon Amstell, but after watching 10 minute's of Simon's House/Grandma's House/Whoever's house it was I wanted to kill myself.

And I decided when watching the Phantom movie last night with my Aunt 1/ Considering Kevin McNally is one of my favourite actors I forget his existence and name far too often 2/ I'd cast him in the Les Mis movie, although as yet I'm undecided as to who. Perhaps Grantaire, seeing as the majority of movies he's in he drinks a fair amount of booze, but I'd like him as a bad guy as well.
I too am impossible

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 am

So if I was magical and could time travel and direct a silent film Les Mis movie, Lillian Gish would be my Cosette. She's perfect. I discovered her existence today and fell in love.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 am

At the risk of going off topic for a moment, hazellwood, what Lillian Gish movie did you watch?

Rose In Misery

Postby Rose In Misery » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:30 am

Was it La Boheme? Because I hear that's amazing!

If I was going to choose a silent movie actress, I would probably go for Mary Philbin (especially since she already played Dea).
Les Miserables-the greatest thing since stolen bread!

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Rose in Misery, if you want to check out that movie, it's on youtube. :) I believe it's under the title of "Les Bohos", last I checked.

hazellwood

Postby hazellwood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:29 am

Yes, La Boheme! She is so splendid and lovely!!! :D

Serious, she'd have been such an adorable Cosette.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:51 pm

If I was doing my own, I'd choose not to focus on the usual story that we have throughout the musical, but I'd take another characters story, and put them in the central role. An example would be the revolution, with Enjolras and the rest of the students, including Marius, being the focus of the movie, canon to the book. I'd include some backstory at the start as to the life of Enjolras, and how he comes to create the Friends of the ABC group. Later on, Marius' story would start to come into the musical as well, with him being important too.

Obviously, other characters such as Cosette, Valjean and Javert would not be as important, but they would still play roles within the movie in relation to the characters they are involved with. Cosette would come into it when we see Marius' story in more detail, as would Valjean. Javert would obviously be involved when he goes to the barricade, however a lot of the story between him and Valjean would not be included as it would not be particularly relevant to this plot. The Thenardiers would play their role, however it would be more in relation to Marius.

Some of the focuses of the movie would include Enjolras/Grantaire, as well as Enjolras/Combeferre. We'd also get to see other characters such as Joly, Feuilly etc in a lot more depth as they would be very important.

The reason is that I think it would be something new and interesting, considering the usual plot has been done a million times. Obviously we'll see the musical movie later this year which I hold high hopes for, however after that, what more can really be done on the main plot without recycling it? This gives a different take, but manages to cover the whole story in enough time for a decent movie length.
The law is unjust.

Darkhorse

Postby Darkhorse » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Hmm, I like this thread. Probably non singing.

Cast
Javert; as elsewhere I'm torn between Richard Armitage and Alan Rickman. I'm leaning towards Rickman, but I'm not sure he could pull off the vulnerability I'd want in the Suicide scene. That's if I couldn't plead Quast into playing it. And I'd have a good try :lol:
Valjean; Martin Shaw I think
Bishop: Colm Wilkinson... Because it was the one bit I adored of 2012, and eventually broke my oath not to watch it for him.
Mdm Thenardier: Kathy Bates - she can be pretty formidable, as in Annie (1999), right build for it too, unlike some.
Pretty stumped otherwise

Alun Armstrong would get a cameo in there somewhere,

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:43 am

If we go for non-musical, I'd make a BBC miniseries, about 8-10 episodes.

A few casting ideas:

- David Bradley for Thénardier, as mentioned in another thread. He's appropriately weasel-like.
- Idris Elba for Valjean. He's the right age and I could believe he can lift a cart. Plus he's really good in heroic roles.
- Enzo Cilenti as Brujon. I fell in love with this man and I think he'd make a convincing criminal.
- Ian McKellen as Myriel
- Catherine Tate as Madame Thénardier
- maybe too big a name, but Donald Sutherland for Gillenormand? He'd be awesome and he's old enough (Gillenormands are always too young)
- Peter Vaughan for Mabeuf
- Maisie Williams for Éponine (she's exactly the right age despite looking younger, and she could definitely show her wilder side)

Return to “Movies”