Nostalgia Critic and Co Review

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Acaila

Nostalgia Critic and Co Review

Postby Acaila » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:43 am

Channel Awesome have done a huge long new Mis review in their usual style with lots of songs and mockery of Colm Wilkinson :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3488QwxmQU
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

LauraLeZunzu

Re: Nostalgia Critic and Co Review

Postby LauraLeZunzu » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I usually like parodies, but this one... hm...
I have to admit that the moment the guy sings "I dream a dreamed" wasn't so bad, and the begining could have made me laugh if I didnt considered the voices of the actors are awesome.
I mean, everytime I see a parody (or review) of Les Mis (the movie) it always come to say things like "he couldn't be a mayor!" or "Javert is obsessed with him!" When JVJ had silver to run a bussiness and Javert is obsessed with the law, not only JVJ.
And, why does every musical theatre fan hate Crowe? hahaha Well, I saw the movie and it impressed me so much that, when I read the book, the character of Javert was EVERYTHING Crowe had made me think with his performance-and he's not an easy character. His way of singing is unemotional (like in the review is said) but, how is Javert? He's like stone, he doesnt change, he doesnt feel pity or anything... til the suicide, when in Russel Crowe you can see so many emotions in his face and, most important, in the voice. On the contrary, for the few musicals I've seenand on youtube (so I don't think if I'm saying this well), Javert was far away from the books, because he was like a typical antagonist, the "enemy", he didn't have scenes as the demission.
And I still thinking that Anne Hathaway is overrated. I think many people (like in the review) only say she's awesome because it is fashion (like for some reviewers saying Crowe is horrible). I mean, if you read the book, the character more far in the movie (her performance) that in the book, it is Fantine, Anne Hathaway. But still, people love her.
Actualy I've only seen half of the review :mrgreen: But as you can see I had a lot to write haha so I'll do it by parts!

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Ayuh, I watched this the other day. Brentalfloss' Russell Crowe impersonation SLAYED ME. Spot on. Love him.

But I found it was very much a Channel Awesome collaborative exhibition video and less an actual review. Doug loves Colm Wilkinson, so watching him and Paw make fun of him was pretty cringe-inducing. Especially given some of the noises that come out of Hugh Jackman's face during the film. Definitely more of a "look how many Channel Awesome reviewers we can cram into one film (+ Brentalfloss!)" rather than "here's a proper review of the movie."

So I can see where people who aren't familiar with the likes of the Nostalgia Critic and Linkara and Paw Dugan might get lost along the way. I guess the Nostalgia Chick's review is meant to be the actual one.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm

LauraLeZunzu wrote:And, why does every musical theatre fan hate Crowe?

Because people who like musical theatre to the extent of being considered fanatical enjoy people who can sing well and who can successfully act through their voice and the other languages of theatre, something at which Crowe has demonstrated something of an inability?

I didn't know Doug loved Colm, where has he brought that up before?

It's always been a challenge to watch Channel Awesome reviews of stuff I do love, but this one wasn't so bad, perhaps because I can acknowledge a lot of the flaws in the film myself.
Compared to when my boyfriend decided to introduce me to their reviews via Nostalgia Chick on Labyrinth and Spoony on Knightmare, and I spent the former video going "Who the hell does she think she is to say this about my favourite thing?" and the latter picking up all the factual inaccuracies. :lol:

I think the Stars parody was my favourite. Oh what a surprise ;)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:02 pm

A couple out of character places. I don't think I could give you the exact videos, if I stumble on them again I'll bring them up. But his mother's either an opera singer or an opera teacher (or both, I don't remember?) which is why he's clearly the most vocally well trained of the group of them. I think this was better evidenced in the Chick's video's One Day More, though, IIRC.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Definitely, he's very good in that!

For anyone who hasn't seen that, here it is detached from the rest of Nostalgia Chick's review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdQ7xxSL0ks

EDIT: Oh he also sings in their feature from last year To Boldly Flee :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:10 pm

That's the video where I fully realized my general disappointment in Paw Dugan. *sigh* For Channel Awesome's resident musical reviewer... wow. And it's not even that he's not a very good singer - though there's this - he just has no passion whatsoever. Linkara's not great either, but he gives it his all, Paw sounds terrible and it's obvious that he's not even trying.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:16 pm

You can critique something without having to be good at it yourself.
I personally loved Benzaie at the end :lol:
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Yes, but that kind of dispassionate flatness is evident in his reviews as well. There's a difference between really liking something and being a dynamic and entertaining reviewer that people want to watch. And by people, I mean me. 8)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:29 pm

He wasn't so bad at first, but they do seem to have got less interesting as time has gone on. Watched the 1776 review the last time my boyfriend was over and found myself completely zoning out during it.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 am

I've been a fan of Channel Awesome for a while, and found this to be one of their less impressive efforts. The song parodies were quite good (I think my favorite was "Do You Hear the Critics Sing," and I also loved the "Stars" parody), but something about the video felt off, somehow. Almost as though, like Havs said, it was more of a Channel Awesome cast get-together than a real review of the film. And given that we had Nostalgia Chick's review of the musical, plus reviews of the film from both Doug and Lindsay shortly after it came out, this review felt a bit like they were beating a dead horse. The mocking of Colm, I agree, was painful to watch... I feel a little better knowing that Doug's apparently a fan of him in real life, though.

And yeah, I'm also not a fan of Paw. Though my dislike of his reviewing style might have something to do with the fact that the first of his videos I saw was his review of the 2004 Phantom of the Opera, which he liked. (He preferred Emmy Rossum's voice to Sarah Brightman's... :? ) But in general, he doesn't seem all that knowledgable or enthusiastic about musicals, leading me to wonder why he was chosen to be their resident musical reviewer. It would be like me being chosen to evaluate different cheeses for a food magazine despite being lactose intolerant.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 am

Agreed completely on Paw. His analyses have rarely reached beyond the surface and the reviews always feel so damp and lifeless.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 am

A Paw review is really just a synopsis with a couple facts about the history or conception of a thing thrown in every once in a while. You could pretty well learn anything he has to say by reading the back of the video case before you put the movie in.

Or better yet, just watching the movie.

He rarely gives any insight beyond best song and worst song, and even then if you're going to build your review around what's the best song and the worst song, you might be missing the point of reviewing things. And also the point of musicals. Basically just the point.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:02 am

Mm. It also bothers me that he structures his videos in terms of individual songs, which makes it feel like he's reviewing the soundtrack instead of the actual movie. Though even when he's doing that he often won't actually discuss all the songs- like bizarrely not mentioning "Maria" in his review of West Side Story.

EDIT: Perusing the TGWTG forums found me this gem (from the discussion on his review of 1776):
Cuneas wrote:I got just far enough to realize he was serious with the 'fanfic' comparison. Then I couldn't watch any further. I'm sorry, Paw. I think you're a really smart guy and I have a secret dream of one day actually being personal friends with you, but that was a pretty reductive and juvenile view of a work that is much more sophisticated than you seem to realize.

As someone who actually made it through Ethan Mordden's insane but fascinating seven-volume set on the American musical, I'm armed with a more mature insight that never occurred to Paw, presumably because his primary source of experience is Film Musicals. "1776" doesn't seem all that odd if you're approaching it from that perspective, because Film Musicals, as an overall genre, don't really have an archetypical format. But if you view it from the perspective of the Broadway musical it started out as, it is a complete break from almost anything resembling the normal Broadway format. Frankly, it seems more influenced by the _plays_ popular on Broadway at the time, and it's often been observed that its ultra-literate script could have supported it without the songs. As Ethan Morrden put it, regarding a similarly reductive Pauline Kael review, "Only someone who had never seen a stage musical would sniff out formula in "1776", a show without precursor or successor."

This is why I've always thought you guys need a _real_ Broadway nerd to cover this stuff. I mean someone who's really immersed in the culture...someone who has a large collection of cult flop cast albums; someone who reads Mordden and Mandelbaum; someone who can namedrop people like Elizabeth Swados and Michael John LaChiusa and actually know what they're talking about. A kind of younger, hipper Peter Filichia type, basically. The best we've got is Paw, and as smart and talented as he is, there are times...like now...when he doesn't seem to get the culture.

Hell, _I'd_ volunteer for the job I just described, but I don't have the performing charisma to succeed in front of a camera. That's why I've pretty much stuck to the written stuff on my own site. But seriously, you need a genuine, hardcore Broadway nerd on your site, as a consultant if nothing else, just to make sure this kind of thing doesn't keep happening.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 am

Meh, I used to really like the reviews, but now I find them a bit too indulgent. Too many instances of them just sort of interacting amongst themselves, and some people might like that but I'm afraid I'm not one of them, would much prefer them just stick to the script.

Also, the complaints about the time jumps...he does realise this film is adapting the musical right? Yes, the stuff that happens during those "x years later" could fill a whole film, but that is not THIS film!

Return to “Movies”