The Modern Les Mis TV Show We Probably Didn't Want Or Need

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Re: The Modern Les Mis TV Show We Probably Didn't Want Or Ne

Postby FortressDoor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Am I the only person here who really likes the idea and wants to watch it? Revenge was good initially (although it started becoming crap later on and I didn't realize it was based of Dumas). Give it a try guys...
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 pm

deHavilland wrote:No adaptation of anything will ever convince or sit well with every fan of the original source material, whether for its political content or just casting. So.

Doesn't mean the fans are wrong though. And there are many, particularly many modern, examples of well done adaptations sitting well with the majority of fans. Lord of the Rings for example - you only very very rarely get people carping about "Tom Bombadil should have been in it!" or whatever. I don't really like the "Oh the fans are going to moan anyway so should just be ignored" argument.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

Acaila wrote:
deHavilland wrote:No adaptation of anything will ever convince or sit well with every fan of the original source material, whether for its political content or just casting. So.

Doesn't mean the fans are wrong though. And there are many, particularly many modern, examples of well done adaptations sitting well with the majority of fans. Lord of the Rings for example - you only very very rarely get people carping about "Tom Bombadil should have been in it!" or whatever. I don't really like the "Oh the fans are going to moan anyway so should just be ignored" argument.

It depends if said fans want an adaptation that strictly follows the book. Some novels such as Great Expectations have been done to death film wise so in that case I don't mind if the story is taken in a slightly different direction. I was reading reviews of previous movie adaptations of Les Misérables and they all seem to bemoan the fact that the story has been filmed yet again. LOTR is a different kettle of fish as the book is fantasy anyway so the idea of "updating it" for a modern audience doesn't really come into play. With a book set in the real world you have more options for updating the story to the present day. And it all depends on the source material as some fans are more precious about a certain text than others. Sherlock Holmes fans for instance take great delight in the many adapatations of the novels, even if they are total crap.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 am

I'm intrigued by the idea and will likely give it a watch (unless it becomes clear that the creators really don't get the story or characters, or that the title and some very basic plot threads are the only thing it'll have in common with the original story.) As others have said, we still don't really know anything about this other than the fact that it's apparently happening, so I'll keep an open mind and see how it goes.

Certainly, there have been some very good adaptations of different things, and even some that set the stories in a different time period or place from the originals and were still very good and successful. But there have also been adaptations that were very poor (as anyone who's seen certain film versions of LM would know quite well by now). And there have been versions that were good films/shows in their own right and attracted a fan following, but were poor adaptations of the source material. As with all things, we'll see how this turns out.

Heh... Acaila, I'm a huge Tolkien fan and generally liked Peter Jackson's film versions... though the changes to Faramir's character in The Two Towers in order to accommodate a rather unnecessary battle scene irritated me far more than the omission of Tom Bombadil. And I'm really not too keen on what they've done to Radagast in The Hobbit thus far (nor do I really see why they included him or felt the need to make that a trilogy, as well)... but that's the risk we take being fans, I guess. :lol:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:04 am

More screentime for Richard Armitage? (even if his hotness is rather concealed by his costuming)
Yes please! :D
(also I'm getting a bit of a thing for Kili, which makes me rather uncomfortable :?)

I'm a big Tolkien fan too and adored the movies fiercely. I remember sitting watching Fellowship for the first time with some fellow geeks and having little bouts of glee at every chapter title used in the script. "A shortcut? To what?!" "Mushrooms!" :lol:

Thinking about it from a theatre point of view, it's like, if you are going to take a classic and "update" it, you have to ask yourself why and what is to be gained from doing so. What meaning is added to it in a new context that cannot be conveyed in its original form? And does that serve the meaning of the original work? Like, I directed an adaptation of Oedipus a few years back, and the whole time I was just desperately wishing I'd been able to do the Sophocles original. And the theatre world is full of dodgy updates of Shakespeare. So many people update stuff just because they think it will make it more accessible, but in doing so they rob it of everything that made it something that resonates through the ages in the first place.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:41 am

Acaila wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting the point I was making with that comment, which was in response to Morgan's "making a modern adaptation that is actively political is leaping straight into a minefield - whatever political position they choose to endorse there will be at least some people who think it's entirely the wrong one." I of all people would never allow "well, not everyone can be happy all the time" slide by as a viable excuse when film-making (or in this case TV-making) of a particular favorite of mine is concerned. See 2012 Film and My Thoughts Regarding It.

It was more that minefield or not, Les Mis provided social and political commentary for its time and just as your piddly little college AU really shouldn't have Enjolras championing something frivolous like "I hope the swim team that I'm completely devoted to and in charge of wins the state championships!" as a parallel for Les Amis' doings in 1832, no adaptation should pussy-foot around its politics because it won't make everyone happy. It won't make everyone happy regardless of what it does, that shouldn't be so much a concern.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 pm

I was rather confused at that sort of point coming from Miss Anti-2012 Movie herself! ;)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:02 pm

deHavilland wrote:It was more that minefield or not, Les Mis provided social and political commentary for its time and just as your piddly little college AU really shouldn't have Enjolras championing something frivolous like "I hope the swim team that I'm completely devoted to and in charge of wins the state championships!" as a parallel for Les Amis' doings in 1832, no adaptation should pussy-foot around its politics because it won't make everyone happy. It won't make everyone happy regardless of what it does, that shouldn't be so much a concern.

I hope you don't think I disagree with any of that, because I absolutely think it should be making a political statement. Just that a. some people will end up pissed off regardless, and b. given that it's Fox I don't altogether trust them to make their statement one I'm comfortable with.

Also, you don't see a lot of complaints about the absence of Tom Bombadil from the LotR films now, but ten years ago was a whole other story, and there is still (mostly good-natured) complaining about the films sometimes among hardcore book fans now. And that's purely narrative decisions, not politicized ones.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:00 pm

FortressDoor wrote:Am I the only person here who really likes the idea and wants to watch it? Revenge was good initially (although it started becoming crap later on and I didn't realize it was based of Dumas). Give it a try guys...

I'm going to give it a try. I may have to turn off the TV twenty minutes into the first episode but then again I might be hooked.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:44 am

Well, we have had right-wing Les Mis before. 1935 and Stalinjolras, anyone?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:43 pm

I think the easiest way to go about it would be not to see it as a book adaptation but as a TV show in it's own right, loosely based off the plot to Les Misérables. I did the same for the 1978 and the 1998 movie and it worked really well, I like all 4 Les Mis movies I have seen.
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

Return to “Movies”