The Modern Les Mis TV Show We Probably Didn't Want Or Need

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
deHavilland

The Modern Les Mis TV Show We Probably Didn't Want Or Need

Postby deHavilland » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:29 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/present ... h-penalty/

I'll just leave the link here without any commentary but the following:

- Deadline is a reputable industry news site.

- "Script Commitment" means that the writer has been paid to write a script, though the script hasn't become fully realized yet. Basically, the idea has been pitched, Fox said "we like it, here's some money, go write a script."

- "Script Commitment with Penalty" means that the company has to pay the writer an extra fee if they get the script but end up not shooting a pilot and basically throw the whole thing out in the end. (Still very much a possibility.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Re: The Modern Les Mis TV Show We Probably Didn't Want Or Ne

Postby Acaila » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:06 pm

A la Elementary, they'll make Javert a woman.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Can we just talk about the kind of political agenda it's going to embody airing on a network like Fox?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:07 pm

There have been other TV shows based on concepts in Les Misérables. The Fugitive springs to mind.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I hadn't noticed it was Fox.....uhoh....
Abaisse Chief/Chef

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:08 pm

deHavilland wrote:Can we just talk about the kind of political agenda it's going to embody airing on a network like Fox?

I don't think their TV shows are that political, after all they made House.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 pm

humanracer wrote:There have been other TV shows based on concepts in Les Misérables. The Fugitive springs to mind.

This is true, but I believe in this case they're going to actually be upfront about calling it what it is and basing it on the source material. (The Fugitive was the result of a misunderstanding, where Kimble was always innocent but had been framed by the one-armed man. Although the description of this show sounds like it diverts away from some of the points of Les Mis, it also sounds like they intend it to follow a lot more closely.)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:36 pm

Being on Fox doesn't necessarily mean it'll have a hardcore conservative agenda -- after all, The Simpsons and Family Guy regularly joke about/bash the Cons, and Fox was the studio that produced and released Avatar. If anything, it might be a way to trick liberally-minded people into watching their network and building up funds that they'll then use to support Republican candidates and positions. :roll:

In any case, yeah... I may give it a watch just to see what it's like, but I doubt it'll be a good idea. Though I actually enjoyed Elementary -- nowhere near as good as ACD's stories or the BBC's Sherlock, but more entertaining and intelligent than many other American crime procedurals, and gives me something to watch while waiting for series 3 of Sherlock. :lol:

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:04 am

Making Les Mis into a 21st century TV show is a really bad idea :? Fanfiction is one thing, but I just don't like this idea :?

Do not shoot me/don't guillotine me---- but I like Fox, better than CNN. :lol:
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:05 am

No, no, you're both right, of course. The people behind the news and the station's programming are different, but there's so little to complain about yet, you have to give me something! (And any Les Mis adaptation is bound to be heavily political if it's at all worth its salt.)

I just don't know where they expect to draw audiences in from.

Do not shoot me/don't guillotine me---- but I like Fox, better than CNN. :lol:

This really doesn't surprise me.

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:08 am

I'm not really a big fan of either, but if I had to choose one... everything is better than NBC :? but that would be off topic.

I have a bad feeling they are going to mess up many of the characters, and it will look more like fanfiction :? If somebody wants to write an AU fanfiction that would be totally fine with me, but it just does not sound like a TV show I would spend money on :?
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:29 am

deHavilland wrote:(And any Les Mis adaptation is bound to be heavily political if it's at all worth its salt.)

Yeah, this is the problem. You can't make an apolitical adaptation without losing a lot of what the whole thing is about, but making a modern adaptation that is actively political is leaping straight into a minefield - whatever political position they choose to endorse there will be at least some people who think it's entirely the wrong one.

(I imagine there is, for instance, literally no way of creating a modern AU that would convince/sit well with both me and Emjolras.)

freedomlover wrote:I have a bad feeling they are going to mess up many of the characters, and it will look more like fanfiction :?

Well, yeah, it's an adaptation, and an AU adaptation. It will look like fanfiction because that's essentially what they are, and I don't think that's in itself a bad thing?
Just, it sounds like you're saying fanfiction in general messes up the characters, and while a lot of it does, that's not an inherent characteristic of fanfiction, that's a characteristic of bad writing.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:16 am

To be fair, I always enjoyed Fox News more as well. It was nonstop comedy hilarity! ("sexbox" anyone?)

I assumed they were going to try and turn it into a legal procedural. Which to me sounds hella boring! I mean, it doesn't exactly sound like it will focus on any of the actually exciting (or memorable) moments of the plot :?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:58 am

Yeah, I'm not sure how a procedural format is supposed to work with...well, really any aspect of the canon. The only part of the description at the link that seems to have any relation to the original plot is the Valjean-Javert thing, and from the description even that doesn't sound likely to play out much like it does in the book.

There isn't that much information about it, but what there is seems pretty difficult to reconcile with being an adaptation rather than a very loose "inspired by".

People have been comparing it to the relationship between original flavour Sherlock Holmes and things like Elementary and House which take some of the elements of the original but also change a lot, but even those I think are closer in feel to the original than this seems likely to be, because Sherlock Holmes is an episodic procedural canon. Les Mis isn't episodic in the same way, and I don't see how you can make it into a "soap" and keep much of what makes it what it is.

I guess it'll be interesting to find out what they are thinking of doing with it, but at the moment I'm mostly just really confused about how it's supposed to work.
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 am

Given as there's no script yet and all we have to go off of is a reasonably vague summary that's a handful of words longer than a logline, I think it's probably too early to say that they don't intend to incorporate scenes and moments from the brick. The fact that they're approaching this with the "a modern Les Mis" announcement does put it on the side of Elementary over a more faithful adaptation, but I don't remember anyone openly announcing The Fugitive as being Les Mis, either.

From the looks of it, they're planning to play from the Javert-Valjean angle, which at least is probably the most appropriate place to come from, if maybe not the most audience grabbing.

No adaptation of anything will ever convince or sit well with every fan of the original source material, whether for its political content or just casting. So.

Return to “Movies”