Time to for another adaptation?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Ulkis

Re: Time to for another adaptation?

Postby Ulkis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:59 pm

I actually think if they made a BBC adaptation sooner would be better, because more people would pay attention to it because the movie is still fresh in people's mind. It makes all things LM slightly more popular.

There actually was a BBC mini-series in the 60s, but alas, a lot of those were destroyed. According to imdb these were the episode titles:

S1, Ep1
Oct. 22, 1967 Release

S1, Ep2
Oct. 29, 1967 Fantine

S1, Ep3
Nov. 5, 1967 Cold Weather

S1, Ep4
Nov. 12, 1967 Buried Treasure

S1, Ep5
Nov. 19, 1967 Cosette

S1, Ep6
Nov. 26, 1967 Sanctuary

S1, Ep7
Dec. 3, 1967 Marius

S1, Ep8
Dec. 10, 1967 The Trap

S1, Ep9
Dec. 17, 1967 Insurrection

S1, Ep10
Dec. 24, 1967 Redemption

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:48 pm

Ulkis wrote:I actually think if they made a BBC adaptation sooner would be better, because more people would pay attention to it because the movie is still fresh in people's mind. It makes all things LM slightly more popular.

There actually was a BBC mini-series in the 60s, but alas, a lot of those were destroyed. According to imdb these were the episode titles:

S1, Ep1
Oct. 22, 1967 Release

S1, Ep2
Oct. 29, 1967 Fantine

S1, Ep3

S1, Ep4

S1, Ep5
Nov. 19, 1967 Cosette

S1, Ep6
Nov. 26, 1967 Sanctuary

S1, Ep7
Dec. 3, 1967 Marius

S1, Ep8
Dec. 10, 1967 The Trap

S1, Ep9

S1, Ep10
Dec. 24, 1967 Redemption

Ah the BBC and their program wiping antics. So much good stuff was lost such as this and early Doctor Who. I think if the BBC did a new one it would make sense to do 5 episodes based on the parts of the novel. As much as I love the musical, I think sometimes it has kind of overshadowed a lot of those earlier productions.

By the way your avatar looks familar. Are you on any other forums such as Roobarb or Galifrey Base?

Western Rover

Postby Western Rover » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:18 pm

YoungStudentMarius wrote:...I'd like to think that now is around the perfect time for more movies of classic books in general, because honestly, it seems like no one knows the stories anymore, and that's when it's often the best to retell....

I think there's a place for an adaptation of the story of Marius and his relationships with his father and grandfather. Since you can't stuff the whole brick into a two-hour movie anyway, and since the story has been adapted so often and so recently from Valjean's perspective, why not choose something different to include this time around? I love the interaction between Marius and his grandfather: both touching (e.g. when Marius storms out after his grandfather insults Cosette) and funny (e.g. when the grandfather refers to the guillotined poet André Chénier).

The movie would tell the story based only on what Marius sees (including vignettes from his father's perspective as he talks to his father's old comrades -- although his father believes Thénardier saved him, the actors could play that vignette in such a way the audience understands what really happened). Cosette and Valjean eventually enter Marius' life, but for a long time he doesn't even know their names, let alone their history, and the audience puts the pieces together along with Marius.

Most of this would be new material for most of the audience. Of course everyone has seen the barricade scene, but you would throw in Mabeuf and a few other things they haven't. And people who like Javert would hate it because there'd be no space to do him justice in this movie.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Western Rover, welcome to Abaisse. Care to post a thread in the introductions forum so we can all welcome you properly? :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:26 pm

humanracer wrote:
Ulkis wrote:I actually think if they made a BBC adaptation sooner would be better, because more people would pay attention to it because the movie is still fresh in people's mind. It makes all things LM slightly more popular.

S1, Ep1
Oct. 22, 1967 Release

S1, Ep2
Oct. 29, 1967 Fantine

S1, Ep3

S1, Ep4

S1, Ep5
Nov. 19, 1967 Cosette

S1, Ep6
Nov. 26, 1967 Sanctuary

S1, Ep7
Dec. 3, 1967 Marius

S1, Ep8
Dec. 10, 1967 The Trap

S1, Ep9

S1, Ep10
Dec. 24, 1967 Redemption

Ah the BBC and their program wiping antics. So much good stuff was lost such as this and early Doctor Who. I think if the BBC did a new one it would make sense to do 5 episodes based on the parts of the novel. As much as I love the musical, I think sometimes it has kind of overshadowed a lot of those earlier productions.

By the way your avatar looks familar. Are you on any other forums such as Roobarb or Galifrey Base?

No, that's actually a Les Mis icon. It's M. Gillenormand from the 1934 French film. It's from a scene where M. Gillenormand is sneaking a peek at his maid's butt. :)

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Western Rover wrote:
YoungStudentMarius wrote:...I'd like to think that now is around the perfect time for more movies of classic books in general, because honestly, it seems like no one knows the stories anymore, and that's when it's often the best to retell....

I think there's a place for an adaptation of the story of Marius and his relationships with his father and grandfather. Since you can't stuff the whole brick into a two-hour movie anyway, and since the story has been adapted so often and so recently from Valjean's perspective, why not choose something different to include this time around? I love the interaction between Marius and his grandfather: both touching (e.g. when Marius storms out after his grandfather insults Cosette) and funny (e.g. when the grandfather refers to the guillotined poet André Chénier).

The movie would tell the story based only on what Marius sees (including vignettes from his father's perspective as he talks to his father's old comrades -- although his father believes Thénardier saved him, the actors could play that vignette in such a way the audience understands what really happened). Cosette and Valjean eventually enter Marius' life, but for a long time he doesn't even know their names, let alone their history, and the audience puts the pieces together along with Marius.

Most of this would be new material for most of the audience. Of course everyone has seen the barricade scene, but you would throw in Mabeuf and a few other things they haven't. And people who like Javert would hate it because there'd be no space to do him justice in this movie.

That's already been kinda done, actually. There's a French mini-series from 1972 that starts off with Marius at the Musain. They don't quite do it the way you describe it though (which is pretty clever :)) - once Marius sees Cosette and Valjean we follow them to their house and Valjean has a quick flashback of the first part of the story. But it's mostly done from Marius' perspective. Unfortunately the Marius is less than charismatic. The barricade scenes are very faithful though.

Also, welcome!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:03 pm

All 10 episodes of the 1967 BBC series still exist in the archives, which is very surprising. I wonder if it will ever see a DVD release. Probably not.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Humanracer, can I ask how you know that? And what we'd have to do to get them to release it, by any chance?
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:Humanracer, can I ask how you know that? And what we'd have to do to get them to release it, by any chance?

You can search the BBC archives by registering at the BBC Motion Gallery http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com

Also someone helpfully posted the survival status of all the episodes "Sunday Classics" series:

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showth ... Misérables

Thankfully Les Misérables is one of the ones that survived!

You could write to the BBC but they aren't really too forthcoming when it comes to requests.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Okay, great. I have a friend who studies "movie sciences" (translating the German word verbatim), I'm gonna ask her, if she has an idea.
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:40 am

humanracer wrote:All 10 episodes of the 1967 BBC series still exist in the archives, which is very surprising. I wonder if it will ever see a DVD release. Probably not.

I'm not terribly up on my BBC archival history, for all I know their main archival storage unit burnt down and all the original reels were destroyed, but barring that what's surprising about the fact that the episodes still exist?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 am

Back in the day, the BBC didn't anticipate that most of their shows would ever be transmitted again, or released in shiny DVD boxsets. Add to that that video is very expensive and ripe for reusing, and they didn't have enough room to store all the cans of film that they were producing... So right up through the 1970s, they junked a lot of their old archives or just recorded over them. You might remember recently some excitement over a couple of old Doctor Who stories? Those had, along with many many others, been thought to be lost forever. There's still around 100 episodes of Doctor Who missing, and so many other shows are in the same state. So in general, if it was from the BBC in the 60s and early 70s, its existence is still something of a pleasant surprise.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 am

Well, you can't record over already exposed film. Because it's already exposed film. But that's unfortunate that as late as the 70's they would still be wholesale junking. (Destroying tape copies is sort of forgivable, because the fact that the cellulose nitrate or cellulose acetate on a film strip's original negatives decays it beyond recognition wouldn't necessarily be as obvious as it is today.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 am

I mentioned video as well. Film was just chucked out because they didn't have room for it. There's a bunch more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiping#BBC
It's sad really, because when you look over all the stuff that's missing, there really is quite a lot that is of cultural significance there :(.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:16 pm

edited because you guys are talking about what I just posted, oops

Return to “Movies”