Time to for another adaptation?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
humanracer

Time to for another adaptation?

Postby humanracer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:08 pm

There hasn't really been any English adaptation that has followed the book exactly. I think the closest was the 1982 movie. I think there is a market for another non musical movie or maybe a BBC production. There is probably enough material to turn it into a mini series or even two movies. I love costume drama so I would love to see this personally.

deHavilland

Re: Time to for another adaptation?

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 pm

I think when they made the musical film they tried very hard to add as many elements of the Brick into the storyline as the music would allow. Suddenly was written in to cover the time period of Valjean taking Cosette into Paris, and the film shows us them going to the convent where the musical itself just cuts to Paris in 1832. They added Gillenormand back in, going so far as to give him actual lines and try to play up his relationship with Marius as much as time would allow. This said, I can't see there being an English adaptation coming out any time soon to ride off of the heels of the 2012 film, I think we're going to have to wait a couple years before anyone feels like it's fresh enough to do it again, even as a mini series.

Though I do agree that the Brick could use a more faithful English adaptation.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Yeah, I don't see any chance of another one happening so soon after a huge blockbuster like the Hooper movie.

I'll agree with Geronimo in that the movie seemed more faithful than the source musical too. There's only so much you can do in under 3 hours after all.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Marianne

Postby Marianne » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 pm

BBC miniseries: *_____* Yes please

I think the 2012 movie might actually be the most faithful English-language adaptation I'm aware of--most of the other ones that stick close to the source material are French.
[Dieu] entend ta voix, ô fille des hommes! aussi bien que celle des constellations; car rien n'est petit pour celui devant lequel rien n'est grand.
- George Sand, Les sept cordes de la lyre

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Certainly of the ones I've seen, I'd agree with that.

I remember when I saw an advert for Desperate Romantics and thought it was a BBC miniseries that was just really heavily plugging Les Amis :oops:
Unfortunately, they seem to have cut back a bit on costume dramas in the last few years here in general (Downton Abbey excepted), with budget cuts and it being a lot cheaper to churn out more reality tv.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 pm

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Haha, I love when articles about upcoming movies and series begin with "well not just yet, but it could be on the cards!" However, I look forward to it if it actually becomes something! It's an ambitious project, adapting Les Mis.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:46 pm

And I have a Les Mis programme from Quast's run talking about the Alan Parker adaptation coming to my local cinema in 1992!

Article is over a year old and nothing seems to have been heard since. Sounds like development hell or abandoned or was never really in the works to me.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 am

Further investigation says that somewhere along the way Les Mis turned into the War and Peace mini-series we were talking about not too long ago, since that's apparently what Davies is now working on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/fe ... -war-peace

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:18 am

deHavilland wrote:Further investigation says that somewhere along the way Les Mis turned into the War and Peace mini-series we were talking about not too long ago, since that's apparently what Davies is now working on.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/fe ... -war-peace

Ah. Oh well. I haven't read W&P I must admit. Maybe the series will be worth watching. I still say the BBC should do a Les Mis series at some point but as you say it would be very ambitious.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 am

I would love a faithful Brick adaptation, though I'd agree that it's too soon after the musical movie right now, but in a couple years, it could be just right. No reason why people couldn't start planning now, I think; to be done well, there'd probably have to be a whole lot of thought going into it. Though, actually, a BBC miniseries, even if that's not actually happening, would be more than awesome. I'm looking forward to the War and Peace one (and if it'll be finished in five years or whatever the time frame was, then maybe I'll be done reading it by then [yes, I haven't touched it in almost eight months, and I am properly ashamed]). But anyway, I think that it would be really nice to see an adaptation that got things right, and I'd like to think that now is around the perfect time for more movies of classic books in general, because honestly, it seems like no one knows the stories anymore, and that's when it's often the best to retell. (Still rooting for a good Tale of Two Cities adaptation, too). But I'd really like to see it done again, though maybe not immediately, sometime within the next ten years, if we're lucky, though I'm not holding my breath.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 am

Eh, if you're not done with War and Peace by then you could read along with the show?

A BBC miniseries would be the best thing ever. (I have thought this for a while, but I think BBC serials are the answer to everything when it comes to adapting novels for the screen, so I'm always glad other people agree they are a Good Idea)
Rash waistcoats and scarlet opinions

FortressDoor
Location: Taking Down the government!!! (Via Facebook. The outside scares me)

Postby FortressDoor » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Aren't we making one of these? ;)

Oh and as for accuracy to Brick, I must beg to differ, the 1957 one is the most accurate I have seen. However this should not be surprising, as it is 4 hours long.
Everyone who complains that the movie is too long hasn't read the book.

Name stolen from friend on other forum.

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:04 pm

FortressDoor wrote:Aren't we making one of these? ;)

Oh and as for accuracy to Brick, I must beg to differ, the 1957 one is the most accurate I have seen. However this should not be surprising, as it is 4 hours long.

Does Valjean die at the end?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 pm

humanracer wrote:
FortressDoor wrote:Aren't we making one of these? ;)

Does Valjean die at the end?

He sure does. But it's not in English, so it doesn't technically count.

Return to “Movies”