Random things you've noticed

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Rachel

Re: Random things you've noticed

Postby Rachel » Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 pm

YoungStudentMarius wrote:
Rebus wrote:And when Enjolras is allowing Jean Valjean to deal with Javert, how Combeferre stands disapprovingly in the doorway and tries to intervene.

I loved this. I don't think he just stood there, either; I thought he kept saying, "No. No. No," and shaking his head, which, when I realised it, was too much for me not to laugh.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but in the Finale, when it shows everyone on the barricade, for a split second it almost looks like there's a few drops of water falling on Samantha Barks. Raining on 'Ponine yet again.

I've heard Éponine being nicknamed "the Rain Goddess" before. :P

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Tue May 28, 2013 3:31 am

When Jean Valjean and Cosette are running through Paris in 1823, the rope Valjean uses to hoist Cosette over the wall comes from a streetlamp. The fifth chapter of A Dark Chase Requires a Silent Hound. :D
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu May 30, 2013 2:59 pm

Anyone else wondered where Grantaire came from all of a sudden for "Orestes fasting"? Well, in the un-cut DWM he goes into the cafe at the end of the song. Which means he got pissed there at the bar upstairs and fell asleep. And slept all through the battle. And woke up from the silence. Holy. Molly. Book. Accuracy.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Anyone else wondered where Grantaire came from all of a sudden for "Orestes fasting"? Well, in the un-cut DWM he goes into the cafe at the end of the song. Which means he got pissed there at the bar upstairs and fell asleep. And slept all through the battle. And woke up from the silence. Holy. Molly. Book. Accuracy.

Yeah. Well as accurate as the time frame allows since in the Book he was quite unconscious all evening. But that movie bit was awesome all the same.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:Anyone else wondered where Grantaire came from all of a sudden for "Orestes fasting"? Well, in the un-cut DWM he goes into the cafe at the end of the song. Which means he got pissed there at the bar upstairs and fell asleep. And slept all through the battle. And woke up from the silence. Holy. Molly. Book. Accuracy.

I had this on pause-play the other day because I was always trying to work out how exactly Grantaire had been positioned sleeping since they never show him after starting up Drink With Me, and then I realised that he literally stands up and stumbles out from behind the bar and went into fits of just kashfkaesfgiuwiefew. Not 100% Brick accurate, but so so so so faithful to his character and fitting, and the only thing that annoys me is that they never show him going off into the tavern in the final cut to explain fully what he was doing, because the moment ends so quickly that people who never read the book won't understand completely.

Also also for the longest time I thought Eddie Redmayne in the background as they shoot the sharp-shooters on the roof and he shouts, "Grantaire, you're on the right!" was saying, "Grantaire, your OTHER right!" Was very disappointed when I watched the German version with friends and the dubbing was the first rather than the latter, meaning I'd misheard. But I was so enjoying the idea of Grantaire aiming wildly in the wrong direction; would have fit well with his drunken reaction to Valjean pointing out the sharpshooters in the first place.

Also also also I am fairly certain he hover-handed Enjolras at their death scene, sort of caught between wanting to take Enjolras's hand, but Aaron had no idea and then he just kind of gives up and drops his arm and smiles triumphantly and then dies.

One thing that always bothers me is that in the beginning of the Montfermeuil scene, little Éponine is standing looking at "the Lady" with some well-dressed older guy, and it looks like they're speaking, and I could never work out who the hell he was supposed to be and why he was randomly outside in front of a toy shop with an otherwise unaccompanied little girl.

And this could never be accurate because of the nine year difference I think, but the soldier that Mme Thénardier steals from/on whose lap she sits just fits how I pictured Theodule to look so amazingly well. I call him Theodule anyway.

The sewer scene managed to incorporate a surprising amount of the five billion chapters devoted to the sewers in the brick.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm also sure that the line is "other right"! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

WhoIam

Postby WhoIam » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 pm

For all we know the subtitles/translation was wrong.

I am now enjoying the image you have presented to me of Grantaire aiming in the wrong direction altogether. :D
All the world's a party, and I'm usually the awkward wallflower in the corner with a glass of water and a copy of Les Mis.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:20 pm

Well I doubt it was in the script, so I'd expect it to be a subtitling by ear. So probably quite susceptible to mistranslation :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Just checked, not in the screenplay.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:27 pm

I can't not hear it that way even if I try. Every time I just see the moment where he is standing behind Valjean and looks around wildly and kind of falls backwards while everyone else are being all hardcore. Then I just imagine him standing there gaping in the wrong direction with his gun but really into it, and Eddie's voice is so exasperated when he says it it's perfect. MUST BE.

Very sure it was an ad lib.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:48 pm

I've never been able to work out who said it! But yes, it's an utterly perfect ad lib :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I was also never able to work out completely what Combeferre shouts at Marius as he's coming down after the gun powder incident, just something like, "Marius, you could have gotten us all killed! My life is not yleshgjviobnslgvkabkjb, Marius!"

But in the German translation he says something like, "My life belongs to me, Marius, and I'd like to be the one to decide over it!"

Any idea what he's saying in English?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:04 am

"My life is not yours to risk Marius!"
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rebus

Postby Rebus » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:09 am

Thank you! For some reason I just couldn't catch it, and it was driving me up the wall.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:23 am

Rebus wrote:Thank you! For some reason I just couldn't catch it, and it was driving me up the wall.

Me, too! I played that over and over, and I still couldn't figure out any more than you, so it was such a relief when someone finally told me. And thanks for clearing it up again, Acaila.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Return to “Movies”