Random things you've noticed

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Enjolvert

Random things you've noticed

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:26 pm

From the 2012 version, what little things have you happened to notice that others might not have?

Already mentioned are the helicopter noise in the prologue, the baby in MOTH, and Valjean's look to Marius when he notices her looking at Cosette.
The law is unjust.

YoungStudentMarius

Re: Random things you've noticed

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:32 pm

I do like this thread. :mrgreen:

One small thing I noticed and really liked was that Marius was clutching Cosette's handkerchief while asleep during Bring Him Home. Made it rather poignant.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm

I loved the handkerchief!

Laigle and Joly's bodies were lying side by side in the Musain after the barricades fell :(

Combeferre trying to push Joly back to protect him when they were about to be shot :cry:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 pm

Those are so sad. :(

Oh, there's always the mattress in the barricade scenes as well. :mrgreen:

And the coffins in front of the barricade, as well as the large letters "Mort" during ALFOR.

And this is a really small thing, not really important, but Cosette's sleeves seem to take on more of the transition style during Everyday than they did earlier. Maybe that's to imply time has passed? Or maybe it was just finding her more dresses, I don't know. But I did notice it.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Éponine and Gavroche were lying side by side when they died. D:

I am unsure whether this has been mentioned, but the music for "he's like the son I might have known if God had granted me a son" when Javert put his medal on Gavroche *sobs*.

This is a very minor gripe about it, but when Éponine was holding the letter and you could see Samantha Barks' soaked, muddy, but otherwise perfectly manicured nails.

This isn't something I've noticed, but it's something I've heard that's interesting. Tom Hooper told Hadley Fraser that his part of the soldier had grown up with Enjolras, and to play it that way. Which is why he seems like he doesn't want to do it.

(Gavroche and Courfeyrac are my new brOTP, and no canon can stop that!)

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Rachel wrote:Éponine and Gavroche were lying side by side when they died. D:

I am unsure whether this has been mentioned, but the music for "he's like the son I might have known if God had granted me a son" when Javert put his medal on Gavroche *sobs*.

This is a very minor gripe about it, but when Éponine was holding the letter and you could see Samantha Barks' soaked, muddy, but otherwise perfectly manicured nails.

This isn't something I've noticed, but it's something I've heard that's interesting. Tom Hooper told Hadley Fraser that his part of the soldier had grown up with Enjolras, and to play it that way. Which is why he seems like he doesn't want to do it.

That last part is incredibly interesting actually. I wonder, could it be an allusion to when Enjolras kills the soldier in the book and Combeferre says it could be his brother, and Enjolras responds that he is, obviously not literally, but in a spiritual sense almost. It shows that these men aren't that much different, apart from being on other sides. Hadley Fraser was fantastic and took a couple of line role and actually developed it well, but that's very interesting if true.
The law is unjust.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:18 am

I've brought this up before, but there's someone--maybe Marius, maybe someone else--just hanging off of the wall during Attack on Rue Plumet. :lol:

Enjolvert wrote:
Rachel wrote:Éponine and Gavroche were lying side by side when they died. D:

That last part is incredibly interesting actually. I wonder, could it be an allusion to when Enjolras kills the soldier in the book and Combeferre says it could be his brother, and Enjolras responds that he is, obviously not literally, but in a spiritual sense almost. It shows that these men aren't that much different, apart from being on other sides. Hadley Fraser was fantastic and took a couple of line role and actually developed it well, but that's very interesting if true.

The nails bothered me, too.

It would be cool if that was an allusion, actually, or even if it was just a subconscious thing on Hooper's part from where he faintly remembered that part of the brick.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:22 am

Some people were adamant that was Marius, but when I went back and watched it a few times, I was more convinced it was Montparnasse.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 am

The factory was making glass beads, just like in the book. Not sure what it's supposed to be making in the stage show, though.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 am

Not really small, but Marius hitting a soldier over the head with his torch and completely taking him out?! My guy friends couldn't stop laughing.

During Drink With Me, right before Grantaire starts singing you see him in the bottom right corner next to Jehan I think and he looks like he's either distressed and looking down or just woken up.

Aaron having a very Aaron-ish voice when he says "Marius, rest" before Drink With Me. Also him cursing when they're on the second floor of the cafe and the soldiers shoot through the floor.

After A Heart Full of Love when Thenardier comes up to JVJ and Cosette's house, late in the scene you can see the Patron-Minette clamoring up walls to get away.

Resident Fennec Fox. Murr!
"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:31 am

Throughout the course of the film Javert's uniforms go from light blue to dark blue.

"Still feeling like Prouvaire. Always feelin' like Prouvaire. I didn't choose the Prouvaire life, the Prouvaire life chos-"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Enjolras' hand dangling over the doorframe...

I did not notice this at first but one of my friends pointed out; "Hiding behind a wagon wheel is a bad place to look for defense Enjolras..."

And I noticed this when I first watched the movie- the coffins were rather creepy at the barricade :shock:

After Bring Him Home when they zoom out- you can see troops marching from the bottom of the screen.
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 pm

A small one: When Valjean is stealing the silver, there's one scene--it's only a few seconds long--that almost exactly goes with this passage from the book:
The Bishop continued to sleep in profound peace beneath that terrifying gaze.
The gleam of the moon rendered confusedly visible the crucifix over the chimney-piece, which seemed to be extending its arms to both of them, with a benediction for one and pardon for the other.
Suddenly Jean Valjean replaced his cap on his brow; then stepped rapidly past the bed, without glancing at the Bishop, straight to the cupboard

Only without the cap. Everything else--cupboard, moonlight on the bishop's face, pretty sure on the crucifix--is there. There's a few moments like this, actually.

I finally figured out what the flag was during the Bring Him Home reprise, Em. :(

Another small one--During Lamarque's funeral, Gavroche and his boys lay out a tricolor over the head of the elephant.

One that I've heard through Tumblr, that's probably already on here somewhere (sorry if it is)--that medal Javert puts on Gavroche is a Legion of Honour medal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Honour

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

redmiserable

Postby redmiserable » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 pm

A LOT of Les Amis die while touching Enjolras or at least in his vicinity.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:31 am

Someone already mentioned this, but the cannon vs. mattress scene is in the film, though it's literally blink-and-you'll miss it.

There seemed to be something analogous to the Le Cabuc scene too (person shoots an innocent, Enjolras shoots the shooter) but it was a pretty chaotic scene and I couldn't entirely tell what happened precisely. The shooter didn't look like the same guy playing Claquesous, either.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Return to “Movies”