Anime?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
geminimimi

Re: Anime?

Postby geminimimi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Agreed. And that dog should have died. Just saying.
The dog's right there in front of ya! Shoot it! :twisted:
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Yah.

Reading back over the posts, I remember two episodes that might be what you're describing.

The first one is when Éponine decides to run away and gets lost. Cosette and the dog go off to find her.

The second episode was when Cosette's doll gets lost and she leaves Valjean to find her and gets lost in the interim. No dog in that episode. Thankfully it stayed behind with Gavroche. But that's the episode in which Valjean was going nutty trying to find her.

I actually watched the anime twice...sort of. Turned it off after the Barricade Boys kicked it. The anime just dragged after that.
But I don't feel like dancin' when the old joanna plays
My heart could take a chance but my two feet can't find a way
You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe gentle sway
But I don't feel like dancin', no sir, no dancin' today.

AriadneIS

Postby AriadneIS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 pm

But Elaine, if we shoot the dog then we could hit Little Cosette! :cry: We can't do that...

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Little Cosette kinda annoyed me, so she can die too. :twisted: Then again, that would make Future Marius sad. :( But it would make Future Éponine happy! :) Choices, choices.

Ah, nevermind. Here's another image. Those two random kids can perish, 'cuz I'm feeling mean. :twisted:
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

AriadneIS

Postby AriadneIS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Is that one on the left eating the dog??? :lol:

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:18 pm

:shock: Eating...the..dog...shoot Cosette...make Éponine happy...kill the kids...you guys are scaring me. :shock: I think I'll stay far away from this anime... :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

AriadneIS

Postby AriadneIS » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Come on, you can't say that that kid isn't eating the dog :lol: ... but let's not kill any children, okay?

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 pm

There was another pointless episode, where some random chick's kid runs off and Les Amis, Marius, and Cosette go looking for her... :| 27 or 29, I think.

It's a good opening for kids into Les Miz, I think. Better than the French show in the '90's, anyway... :shock:

And I will gladly shoot that dog. It's not fair Old Yeller dies but that thing is running rampant.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

La_Armada

Postby La_Armada » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 pm

As an anime fan, I thought it was exactly the introduction I needed before I started with the heavy, threatening brick, its 1500+ pages looming before me. 51 episodes, a quickie.

Well, it was most certainly not. I dropped out at ep 14 because it was so freaking booooooooring. Seriously. So slow-paced and Cosette focused.

While it is probably one of the most faithful adaptions, with a bucketload of squee-worthy animated moments from the book, and I appreciate it for that, I dislike it.

Not only the animation (which sucked) and the addition of a lot of cute extras (the dog, Alain, Cosette's and Gavroche's sibling relationship), but how the message Les Misérables tries to convey is twisted.

For instance, Gavroche's death in the book was a symbol of how war and destruction will not halt, even when faced with the purest of innocence (Hugo wrote a lot about Gavroche and his background. Almost as much as Fantine. And he had put special care into making the character likeable. Wise for his age, witty, sharp-tongued, funny, street, yet a child, innocent like all children). The fact that he survives does partly destroy the message.

Secondly, Les Amis die. And I must say that, while I love the animation of Enjolras' death scene and it made me cry buckets of tears, if their purpose was to create a lollipop-mountain soda-lake cotton-candy tree world like they made it seem by letting Gavroche and Javert live, they could have spared Les Amis

But I do agree that it is a nice introduction for children and all.

lemonlye

Postby lemonlye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 am

I'm about 28 episodes into this now, and am kind of ashamed how much I'm liking it. So much of it is weirdly book-faithful. And yet I'm laughing at it at the same time, because yeah, it's Les Mis with the harsh edges sanded off. (Now with more cute happy kids and helpful doggies! And bread magically appearing when people need it! And no prostitutes!) And how can you not laugh at Valjean's moustache and the way it moves around when he talks, without his mouth actually showing? Or the way anime-Marius' hair looks about to stab him fatally in the eye every second? Still...somehow a lot of it feels right. Or right enough that I'll keep watching for now, anyway. :)

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:04 am

I couldn't make it past Fantine measuring Cosette's height against a tree. It wasn't so much the inaccuracy as the utter cheesiness of it, heh.

lemonlye

Postby lemonlye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Oh yeah, the saccharine levels of random cute kid stuff they've thrown in is off the charts. (Though, okay, I admit finding it sweet when Marius knelt to hug some crying street kid who was never in the book. Heh.) Also, I can't help thinking that Cosette's behavior/demeanor comes off more like that of a Japanese girl than that of a French girl. Which would make sense, given its original target audience, but it's part of what makes the whole thing feel rather surreal to Brick readers.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Ok, I will admit it. I'm actually quite fond of this show. :oops: It has many faults and spends far too much time on Cosette's early life (i know that its meant to be about cosette, but it gets really tedious) I'm at the Luxembourg Gardens bit at the moment and am really enjoying it. I really appreciate how faithfully it sticks to the book (mostly... apart from chou chou the dog). It falls between being very simplified for children and being too detailed. I like it.
One thing that did annoy me though was when Confeyrac brings Marius to meet the friends of the ABC. Enjolras is sitting slouched in the corner. WHAT, Enjolras does not slouch in the corner!! But I loved Marius being a napoleon fanboy in this scene. Just like the book. :D
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:07 pm

That Enjolras being slouched in a corner did raise eyebrows, but it was still so cute anyway. :lol:
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Habi

Postby Habi » Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Отличное аниме! Сто раз его пересматривала! Обожаю Козетту из этого аниме! Она здесь не избалованная тупоголовая дрянь, которая даже отца на могиле после его смерти не проведовала. Многим не нравятся, что Гаврош и Жавер выжили, но я считаю, что авторы, молодцы, что их не убили. Понравилось дружба Гавроша и Козетту, которые в конце стали названными братом и сестрой. Единственный минус - Эпонина умерла так и не извинившись перед Козеттой за свои ошибки детства. Она даже не признала, что поступала подло к Козетте и она перед ней виновата.

The perfect anime! A hundred times I revise it! Cosette I love this anime! She is not spoiled by thick-headed stuff that even at the grave of his father after his death did not visit. Many people do not like that Gavroche and Javert had survived, but I believe that the authors, well done, that they were not killed. I liked the friendship Gavroche and Cosette, who were named after the brother and sister. The only negative - Éponine died and has not apologized for his mistakes Cosette childhood. She had not even recognized that came to Cosette meanly to her and she to blame.

Return to “Movies”