Anime?

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
DarthxEponine

Re: Anime?

Postby DarthxEponine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 pm

9430, I'm quite new to torrent downloading... I was successful enough to get Shoujo Cosette from that W. Subs website, but maybe I'm just terrible with search engine searching. Any tips on what keywords to use?
Someday I'll find my very own Marius... :D

Postby 9430 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 am

I just searched for shoujo cosette raw and pretty much every site listed was a torrent website. I have no idea how to do the actual downloading, since the networks I connect to don't allow it. Closer searches do reveal that if you search through the links, there are a couple to various raw episodes on megaupload/rapidshare, but the majority are definitely torrent links.
aka Fiwen

DarthxEponine

Postby DarthxEponine » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 am

Thanks, I'll keep looking I suppose, but for now I'm content editing the subbed clips in Sony Vegas, and it's not bad.
Someday I'll find my very own Marius... :D

Starlene

Postby Starlene » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:50 pm

I've been watching this anime with two of my friends, alongside of our Les Mis summer reread, and we're almost finished.

I have to say, I'm not as fond of this as many others seem to be.
It's a - mostly - faithful adaptation, that's true, and I really appreciate it keeping so many details from the book. It shows they're truly done their homework before starting to do the show!

But, as a whole, the feelings it mainly evokes in me - or actually, all three of us, since my friends agree with me - are annoyance and boredom.
The whole thing has a way too slow pacing for my tastes, so slow that even the bits that are meant to be exciting feel pretty dull. What's more, I find the cinematography very boring - it's animation, you can do whatever you want, so the lack of exciting camera angles, pans, zooms and other tricks, the lack of interesting usage of shading, lighting, colours and so feels a bit disappointing to me. Take Cosette and Marius's garden for example - it could've been drawn to be really lush and romantic, but the design they used seems, to me, simply plain and normal.
Maybe the show had a small budget, since speaking characters are so often shown from the back to avoid animating their faces and group shots usually feature still people, but it still gets a little old after forty episodes or so.
What's more, I've a hard time feeling for some of the characters, Cosette especially - the little personality she had in the book has disappeared somewhere during the translation from pages to animation, it feels to me.

If this was a dozen or two episodes shorter, so things could move with a faster pace, if the kid-friendliness was lost and if every filler episode where Cosette frolics with a dog or with a Gavroche was scrapped, and if the visual details like cinematography were a bit more unconventional, this could make a fine series. But as it is, I'm afraid I can't really enjoy it much.
It's a magical world... Let's go exploring!

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 am

I wasn't a big fan of the anime either starlene. Too corny for me.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 am

I agree. The anime is about the only adaptation that I didn't manage to watch in full. Although, I must admit that I was quite surprised how many small details they got right, how many characters didn't look entirely like your typical anime and the fact that it doesn't have a happy ending. Still, that's no excuse for half a dozen episodes of child abuse without any/hardly any canon plot. Or for what they did to Javert... And when I realised that they had so much details, I was hoping sooo much for the Orion... That was such a disappointment...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Phan_in_Mizland

Postby Phan_in_Mizland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah, the anime makes me both happy and upset (it's like Love Never Dies all over again!)

I mean, it has some pretty spot on stuff, with the Enjolras looks and the scenes that most adaptions leave out..

But, really? You're going to slaughter the entire Les Amis (espicially Enjolras, Grataire, and Prouvaire), but SPARE Javert? I mean, the Gavroache living wasn't terrible in my eyes (if only the dog didn't save him, but somthing else.) For I like Gavroache a lot, but really, JAVERT????WEG{IUOHOG{DSIOOIHAFSIHOAFIHODFSIHODFS No one wants him alive. (harsh, but hey)
The book purists dont cause we're book purists, the kids don't because he's scary.

Funny story is taht I descovered this anime years ago when I first descovered Les Mis, then re watched the entire series recently.

lemonlye

Postby lemonlye » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 pm

As people have probably figured out, Shoujo Cosette is lately available in its full 52-episode glory at:

http://www.animecrazy.net/les-miserable ... sode-list/

I've only gotten to the first three so far, but am having fun with the cuteness and the occasional strange moments of Brick-faithfulness.

Gave me an LOL last night when toddler-Gavroche and kid-Cosette stop in the field full of flowers and butterflies to frolic with a fluffy puppy. Yes, it's Les Mis, only with MORE FLUFFY PUPPIES! (Well, to be fair, Hugo, you didn't put in enough fluffy puppies.)

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:58 am

I'm always wondering if they took the dog idea form that horrible '92 French cartoon or if actually two directors had the same terrible idea independently of one another...

Btw, the anime currently holds rank 943 on the page lemonlye linked. Isn't that a nice coincidence...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Well... I watched all 52 episodes. Personally I liked it for the most part. The dog and the suicide were (and still are) my least favorite parts. I wanted to push Javert off the bridge, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to shoot or cuddle the dog. I did kind of like when Javert showed up to arrest Thénardier at the end.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Enjolras-the-jaw

Postby Enjolras-the-jaw » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 am

I'm not an Anime fan, but I do really like Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Anybody else?
At the end of the day, I dreamed a dream that whenever I was on my own in my life, I would hear the people sing with a heart full of love under the stars. Les Mis, I pledge allegiance to you.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 pm

I like Avatar! Legend of Korra is nice too, but I much prefer Avatar.

For the anime, I loved how teensy little details get added in. But then I hate all the unnecessary episodes. There was this one episode where either Cosette or her dog (btw that dog is unnecessary too) gets lost and the whole episode is spent with Valjean looking for Cosette/dog. I think both actually got lost and the whole episode is Valjean freaking out. It was so boring and didn't move the story at all. It's not the only episode like that.

Plus Cosette realllyyy annoyed me. Her voice :x ... and she's a bit too bimbotic in here for my taste. Also she's way too cheerful all the time. Not just positive and upbeat, but giggling and smiling almost all the time. And when she's upset she makes the most aggravating whimpering/crying sound ever. Still love Cosette though. *buries head in Brick*. Gavroche got on my nerves as well. And he never seems to age in the anime. He looks practically the same in Paris as the time he was is Montfermeil. And he didn't die. I almost wished he did. But at least 'Ponine, and the Les Amis died! It's not your average happy-go-lucky anime after all! Still, it could have been better.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Mlle_Alexandrie

Postby Mlle_Alexandrie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:18 am

geminimimi wrote:But at least 'Ponine, and the Les Amis died! It's not your average happy-go-lucky anime after all!

Two words: Death Note. Literally everyone in that dies by the end except, like, three somewhat major-ish characters and a handful of very minor ones.
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Mlle_Alexandrie wrote:
geminimimi wrote:But at least 'Ponine, and the Les Amis died! It's not your average happy-go-lucky anime after all!

Two words: Death Note. Literally everyone in that dies by the end except, like, three somewhat major-ish characters and a handful of very minor ones.

Beacause it's Les Mis! *jazz hands* As Alain Boublil once said, there's no musical that's been on the scale of Les Misérables where so many people die (or something along those lines). And he sounded so happy when he said it.

Why is the anime for kids anyway? I'm pretty sure kids aren't that interested in moral conflict, justice, unfairness of law, redemption and death. Les Mis isn't for little kids. That's why when something like this comes along, you have cutesy Cosette and her companionable sidekick dog.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

Saint Jolras

Postby Saint Jolras » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:04 pm

geminimimi wrote:
Beacause it's Les Mis! *jazz hands* As Alain Boublil once said, there's no musical that's been on the scale of Les Misérables where so many people die (or something along those lines). And he sounded so happy when he said it.

Why is the anime for kids anyway? I'm pretty sure kids aren't that interested in moral conflict, justice, unfairness of law, redemption and death. Les Mis isn't for little kids. That's why when something like this comes along, you have cutesy Cosette and her companionable sidekick dog.

Certainly not all anime is for children. There's far, far darker anime out there than the usual generic tripe.

However, Les Mis isn't the sort of thing that should be abridged for kids. There are matters that they left in the anime, though, that had somewhat adult connotations. Childhood abuse, the cholera epidemic, Fantine's gradual degradation (though they left out the prostitution and teeth), and the deaths at the barricades.

Though they left out the real reason as to why those barricades went up. "Hurr hurr, let's fight for the poor!"

It's all very simplified. But I liked some of the designs for the characters, OOC they may be, and the overall message wasn't lost. And it's damn hard to watch the Amis die, especially Enjolras and Grantaire, without feeling appropriately miserable.

Someone should've shot that damn dog, though.

And who doesn't like the filler episode of Enjolras vs. the fangirls?
But I don't feel like dancin' when the old joanna plays
My heart could take a chance but my two feet can't find a way
You'd think that I could muster up a little soft shoe gentle sway
But I don't feel like dancin', no sir, no dancin' today.

Return to “Movies”