Awards Ceremonies 2013

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
between4walls

Re: Awards Ceremonies 2013

Postby between4walls » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 am

And it's ANNE!!!
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:23 am

HATHAWAY JUST WON!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No surprise, but....YEEEEESS!!!!

ImageImageImage
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:25 am

First major award for Les Mis!

No surprise to anyone with a brain!

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:43 am

I feel like just kind of giving a sigh of contentment. Guys...this worked. It did. It's not perfect, but it worked. And it's something they all can be proud of, and we can be proud of, too, and...it just all feels right, doesn't it?
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:12 am

Well, that wraps it up. Daniel Day-Lewis and Argo; very predictable, but perhaps not undeserved, though I think Les Mis still should have won. I think it was quite well honored, though. I'm proud of it. :mrgreen: And that was a blast to watch. Even if I'm really tired and everybody already left, but it was nice watching it with you all; thank you....

...And it still got more than Lincoln. :twisted:

Taelin

Postby Taelin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:51 am

YoungStudentMarius wrote:Well, that wraps it up. Daniel Day-Lewis and Argo; very predictable, but perhaps not undeserved, though I think Les Mis still should have won. I think it was quite well honored, though. I'm proud of it. :mrgreen: And that was a blast to watch. Even if I'm really tired and everybody already left, but it was nice watching it with you all; thank you....

...And it still got more than Lincoln. :twisted:

Ugh, Lincoln is so overrated.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:57 am

Taelin wrote:Ugh, Lincoln is so overrated.

Agreed. There were aspects of it that were really nice, like Day-Lewis, but as a whole, I thought it fell short. It was good, but it didn't seem to reach its potential.

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:06 am

The montage for 'Les Misérables' was the first one to be introduced & shown (amongst all the other Best Picture nominees) - immensely proud moment. And they didn't even play off Hathaway during her acceptance speech :)

Considering the fact that it was an even spread of the awards all through, winning three is a great achievement. To put up a case for bragging, it won the same number of Oscars as Argo, and won more than what Lincoln and Silver Linings Playbook did (although I'm still miffed about that Production Design loss... :( )

And about that medley, these are the Oscars, so it had to be done in a different manner...

But whatever they did, they were simply outstanding - completely nailed it! Eddie Redmayne actually sang properly WITHOUT sounding like a muppet :mrgreen: - even Crowe & Seyfried sounded much better than they did in the film. Tveit's RED pocket handkerchief (or whatever it was), did receive a few giggles from my side :D And yes, they all sang live - the earpieces were actually visible :)

*jumps up and down* And I saw Ramin Karimloo and Jeff Nicholson (and I suspect I even caught a glimpse of Killian Donnelly too)!! :D

A completely deserved standing O!!

Anyone else noticed that all the cast members (main + ensemble) were actually dressed in white, blue, red, and black?
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Eddie and Amanda sounded very good, and I'm glad they went more for a straight sing here than in the film. I was pleasantly surprised that Amanda could be heard clearly when singing with Samantha. I didn't really like Russell Crowe's singing in the movie (well, not his solos, I did like a lot of his recitatives), but I kind of adore that he came out confident and with no (visible) hesitation to sing, after he probably heard all the negative reviews. The Thenardiers, on the other hand, I could barely hear.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Because every time, they randomly had the Thenardiers come in early, so they were only singing when someone else was. What was with that?

And Tveit's pocket-handkerchief did get a laugh out of me. And I just about went nuts when all the tricolors came down. :mrgreen:

And you can say that Les Mis almost had the top number, then-- Life of Pi won four, but other than that, Lincoln and Argo were next for three. I think, considering no one swept, and that it all played out like it did, Les Mis actually did better than I thought it would. And it is very nice to have some Oscars in its collection. Overall, I'm proud. :mrgreen:

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Really pleased for it to get three. The awards are obviously far from perfect, but either way it's good to see it getting some critical recognition. Winning the awards can't do harm.

Would've liked best picture and actor but they were always outsiders, so I'm glad Hathaway did managed to win her respective category.
The law is unjust.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:08 am

I think the fact that nothing swept is a positive thing, really; shows it was a very good year for movies.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm

First hand account, full performance cast list and photos: http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW ... e-20130225
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Hm, I had never heard that Ramin Karimloo (or a couple of the other people credited with it) had anything to do with the film. Is that a mistake, or was he/were they actually in it?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

They brought people who'd done the show onstage from US and UK plus the Hollywood Bowl concert for the ensemble at the Oscars apparently.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Movies”