Awards Ceremonies 2013

Go on about how awful the movie adaptations were here.
Enjolvert

Re: Awards Ceremonies 2013

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 am

ancslove wrote:I kind of hope they go for the "pretty" version of One Day More! Especially from Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, and Aaron Tveit. I want to hear Eddie and Aaron really hit those parts, and the softer, more emotional singing that worked nicely in the movie may not on a concert stage.

I can see why people would say that Jackman carried the movie. He's the one consistent actor throughout, in terms of screen time. For me, it means that he had to carry the movie because he was the through line, the one constant presence and voice. It doesn't mean that the others needed to be lifted, but that if he fell apart, the movie as a whole would fall apart. Enjolras, Fantine, Marius, and Éponine just aren't in the movie/show enough to compensate for a bad Valjean. The closest second is Javert, but even he doesn't have as many big moments. But that's just my take, I can't speak for the other guy!

I know what you mean there, and I kind of get where you're coming from, but what I don't like is when it's said as if Jackman was the very good member of an okay cast. They 'carry' the movie thing I think would apply more to someone like Day Lewis in Lincoln where a lot of the focus was on him and his acting was great.

In this, you've got so much that I actually think it's possible to get away with an 'okay' Valjean if the rest of the cast is great. I mean, yes, Jackman's singing was good and his acting was great, but I wouldn't say he's the best Valjean I've ever heard by a mile. Les Mis has so much depth that it can get away with a decent Valjean if everyone else is brilliant I think. Plus it's sort of insulting to the younger cast members. If you asked me who I preferred between the younger or older cast members in their respective roles, it'd be the youngsters on the whole due to how good the likes of Tveit, Barks and Huttlestone were. What's annoying is a snobby critic who thinks they know it all on film, but only watched this one film and knew nothing else about the source text. That could apply to other adaptions this year like Life of Pi etc as well.
The law is unjust.

ancslove

Postby ancslove » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 am

I see what you're saying, and I agree. But on the other hand, to compensate for a weak or mediocre Valjean, I feel that you would have to have everyone else be very strong. Or at least, Javert, Fantine, Enjolras, Marius, Gavroche, and Éponine. And probably young and older Cosette. Whereas a mediocre Javert or Marius can more easily be overlooked with a great Valjean. Could you have a great Valjean, and everyone else be disappointing, and still have a great production? Probably not. But you can get away with more weak links, if Valjean is very good.

That said, and bear in mind I haven't seen the original critique, most reviewers say that Anne Hathaway is the standout and praise for Hugh Jackman is a little more muted. I don't think I've heard anyone else namecheck Jackman as the only great one in a so-so cast. Those who cite Anne as overwrought and unlistenable usually point to Samantha Barks and Aaron Tveit as the standouts. So this one critic is certainly marching to his own drum if he does think that Jackman is the only good performance, and therefore he's really nothing to worry about.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:31 am

Actually, possibly my favourite performance on stage had a really poor Valjean - the guy was an emergency cover (no not Killian, this was years ago). A rather mangled Bring Him Home alas. Though a lot of the other performers in that cast are among my favourites. I think you can get away with a couple of weak links but it can be anywhere in the cast. Like, if Javert is weak I'll fangirl Enjolras and vice versa. A good Marius can help me ignore weaker Cosettes or Eponines. It's the good thing about such an ensemble show. I don't know, just on the personal experiences I've had, that Valjean is necessarily more important to my enjoyment of the show than any other part. The one exception to that is the ending - I think the ending really suffers with a weak Valjean (I didn't cry at all watching the 25th Concert because I thought Alfie Boe was dreadful for example). Though that may also be affected by my over familiarity with the show. A first timer might still have sobbed their way through it.

I'm rambling a bit here...
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:22 am

Gervais wrote:They will be doing One Day More and I Dreamed a Dream, apparently. http://broadwayworld.com/article/LES-MI ... s-20130222

Yay, confirmation! :mrgreen:

Brilliant!!

Methinks 'One Day More' will be the last song to be performed in the whole movie musical tribute...that is, of course, if they go in the order of 'Chicago', followed by 'Dreamgirls', and finally, 'Les Misérables'.

Also, I get the feeling the staging of the 'Les Misérables' tribute could be extremely similar to the 21st anniversary special (2006), when Patti LuPone sang IDAD, and then the entire OLC walked on to the stage together to perform 'One Day More' (bless the soul who uploaded that on Youtube!!)
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

So, this is what happened on Friday...and it looks like 'One Day More' could end up featuring more people than we thought...

Adele, `Les Misérables' cast sing on Oscar stage
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... -sing.html

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 pm

I can't wait...all set and stocked for the night...one day more! :)
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:56 pm

They were backed by members of the musical's stage productions from London and Broadway.

They're probably talking about the barricade boys from the film, but don't tell me I was the only one who momentarily hoped for a preview of the revival cast... :oops:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Gervais wrote:
They were backed by members of the musical's stage productions from London and Broadway.

They're probably talking about the barricade boys from the film, but don't tell me I was the only one who momentarily hoped for a preview of the revival cast... :oops:

Well, if they need tickets for the revival to be sold like hot cakes...there is a bit of talk on the internet going on about having some of the West End actors (who were also in the film) to be performing on Broadway. Of course, all of this is just talk, as of now.

Personally hoping and praying that George Blagden gets cast as Grantaire in the revival

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Aww, I wish I could watch this---but apparently this isn't going be televised till relatively late in the morning and I have a birthday lunch to attend!

Will be scoping Youtube after that, for certain!
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Just a minute though....is anyone in the film actually from the musical's stage productions from... Broadway." I mean, it's quite possible that it's a mistake, but... :shock:

I don't think you want to go from And I Am Telling You into I Dreamed a Dream. Something lighter and jazzier from Chicago would be best in the middle for contrast. (potentially even start with I Dreamed a Dream as a quiet introduction that builds up, if they didn't want to keep the Les Mis stuff together)

That's how *I* would stage it of course ;)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Aww, I wish I could watch this---but apparently this isn't going be televised till relatively late in the morning and I have a birthday lunch to attend!

Will be scoping Youtube after that, for certain!

I know the feeling there. Would record it but no doubt that will be pointless as I'd hear the results anyway.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 am

From tumblr:

"At rehearsals for the show Friday, Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Barks, Aaron Tveit, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Helena Bonham Carter took part in a massive production number made up of a medley from the film, including the Oscar-nominated original song “Suddenly.”

They weren’t alone. It was a Les Mis reunion in more ways than just the movie …

The chorus for the performance was made up of cast members who’ve appeared in a number of different versions of the show around the world, including the U.S. tour, the most recent Broadway revival, the production in London’s West End, and the Hollywood Bowl concert."

The last paragraph is VERY interesting (Hi Ramin!)
But yeah, I love how we never for a second thought Suddenly would get in there! (It's kinda obvious in hindsight)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:43 am

Thinking now, Suddenly does make sense actually. You've got the main star of the film, and the new song made purposely for the film version. I'm guessing that and IDAD to cover the two acting nominees, and then One Day More. The idea of it being full of performers from the stage who weren't in the movie as well though is brilliant. Could really be star studded in many senses of the word.
The law is unjust.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 am

Plus it's Oscar nominated too of course.
I'm really happy about the ensemble though. I may squee a lot, and if I am missing it live, I expect a full cast list to be on the internet by the time I wake up the next morning. You have your orders! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Pointless Star

Postby Pointless Star » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 am

I'm watching the preview for the Oscars on ABC and they show 5 second clips from Les Mis while the other movies get at least a minute of screen time. :evil: The program's not over yet, so hopefully there's more to come.

I'm SUPER excited for the awards ceremony tomorrow! :D

Return to “Movies”